Pilot Road 3

CrazyCawi

Soooooo I ventured to order a set of pilot road 3's, get em in 2-3 days. Ill be writting a review on them on day one, and then ill rewrite one in a week, and at 3 months to let you guys know the progress of the tire and how well they are working!!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Nice! I had the 2's and absolutely loved them. I will most likely be getting these new ones once its time.

Heineken

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

motorcycle super store and
$156.99 for the front tire and the rear is $159.99

CrazyCawi

MSS didnt have the front in stock, so I quoted what I paid at my dealer....

toddjcruz

Put a set on a few weeks ago. 128 front, 152 rear. Paid 110 to have them installed. That's the crazy part.

They feel good, but I never had a problem with the stock tires to beging with. Always had plenty of grip all the way to the edge of the tire. I don't ride in the rain, so the features of the new 3 won't really come into play.

They did ride well right away, as promised. They use a different release compound that doesnt require breaking in the tire. Still, that too only comes into play for a little bit.

How do they feel? Well, its hard to remember, because it's been several years since I ran new OEM tires. The turn in feels much better as my old tires were classic used: flat spot in the back, cupped in the front. This made the turn in and progression through the corner irregular (resistant to initial lean, followed by quick fall into the corner). Problem solved with the new tires, but I'm guessing that a new set of stock would have felt the same way.

So, why the 3s then and not stock? Touring. Simple as that. I can put 6-8k on in a year, long distance touring. I got them for the dual compound. I had plenty of tire left on the back except for the middle. And really, the middle could have gone another year before hitting the wear bars. But the problem with a tire that isnt round is the turn in characteristics. So my hope is the dual compound 3s will allow the tire to maintain its shape longer over time. My friend has 8k on his 2s and they still have "like new" shape. No wear down the middle. That's impressive as hes on an ST1300 with lots of power (that will wear the middle down line crazy).

Guess I won't know for a few years how that works on my bike.

Last edited:

Spunky99

Paid 110 to have them installed. That's the crazy part.
You should try to change tires manually.....I do it and it's a real pain in the butt. After buying rim protectors, tire wrenches and a bead breaker, it costs nothing to do. I made the tire balancer for 1 dollar.
I'm also waiting for the sales to kick in.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Well I have ridden in the rain 3 days now, one of them which was a down pour. Let me tell you what, have you ever had a sports car/Beamer etc; and put blizzak tires on for the winter to drive it? This was just the same. The stock tires didn't seem to perform nearly to the magnitude these tires do. I didn't once feel my tires slip in the rain, even in some light puddling it cut right through.

Dry...Lets put it this way, I can rip through redline 1st, 2nd, and 3rd without a single feeling of slip. Even Hammering first without warming the tires up they dont slip. I usually warm them up but I did ride hard on them cold to test it. Im a baby in the corners, hence my name, BUT I am getting much better and doing about 10 over in the corners and havent had much of an issue other than me being a nervous nelly thinking I feel slip when I truly dont(its in my head, I saw a guy go down HARD into the ditch in a corner lowsiding because of sand and no ATGATT)

The tires look SECKS on the bike, I mean these are an aggressive hot looking tire, and I get compliments from everyone on how unique they are and how aggressive they look! I have 1,000 miles on them already, and they dont even look like they have been ridden on, Ill post pictures tonight!~

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Well I have ridden in the rain 3 days now, one of them which was a down pour. Let me tell you what, have you ever had a sports car/Beamer etc; and put blizzak tires on for the winter to drive it? This was just the same. The stock tires didn't seem to perform nearly to the magnitude these tires do. I didn't once feel my tires slip in the rain, even in some light puddling it cut right through.

Dry...Lets put it this way, I can rip through redline 1st, 2nd, and 3rd without a single feeling of slip. Even Hammering first without warming the tires up they dont slip. I usually warm them up but I did ride hard on them cold to test it. Im a baby in the corners, hence my name, BUT I am getting much better and doing about 10 over in the corners and havent had much of an issue other than me being a nervous nelly thinking I feel slip when I truly dont(its in my head, I saw a guy go down HARD into the ditch in a corner lowsiding because of sand and no ATGATT)

The tires look SECKS on the bike, I mean these are an aggressive hot looking tire, and I get compliments from everyone on how unique they are and how aggressive they look! I have 1,000 miles on them already, and they dont even look like they have been ridden on, Ill post pictures tonight!~
Awesome! I know which tires I'm getting for the R6 next! :thumbup:

CrazyCawi

I will do that. had a bad night tonight....Ill take em tomorrow I promise!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ksanbon

Question: Has anyone actually investigated the scope of this issue, or is it an isolated incident?
I just did a quick search on Google looking to see if this is a widespread problem. I might not have done it right, but I couldn't find any problem w/ the PR3.
The poster said that he pulled over because the handling changed - that doesn't sound like a blow-out to me. Is it possible that the tire was under-inflated? Maybe it had just picked a nail & was going flat. All I know is an under-inflated tire will build heat really fast.

Sorry if I'm out of line, but I just think that it might be too soon to jump to conclusions......