PC III Cold Start issues

Awestruck

2013 FZ6R with Two Brothers exhaust and PCIII added. Mapped for TB exhaust and K&N air filter.

Cold Starts are a PIA. Runs great when warm. Starts great when warmed up.

Without PC, bike starts perfect when cold.

Seems to be a chronic problem with Power Commander on various brands of motorcycles, and I can find no solid answers except "hold the starter button down for 3 seconds as engine starts", "get used it, it'll run fine when warmed up", "doesn't hurt anything to hold starter button down", etc.

Seems the "cold Start issue" is never mentioned when "with a new aftermarket exhaust system, you'll need to get a power commander to help the lean fuel condition..."

Any answers?

Yea I know, it will run fine when it gets warmed up!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Awestruck

Scott, that is what is happening to my bike, major throttle lag. It starts when cold, but poor throttle response, and very rough, uneven idle. I have to give it a little throttle to keep it idling until a good warm up.

Reminds me of a carbed engine at warm up.

Just put the PCIII in this winter. Have not been able to try starting in warm temps yet. My garage has been in the 40-50 degree temps at night, and then the temps warm up as day goes on.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Awestruck

Scot thanks for replying, as it gives me some confidence that I installed everything correctly.

Just as you said, once I get it warmed up, it runs great, no de-cel pop, and good power, and love the sound.

Just looks like "Power Commander" could put in a "fix" for the cold starting issue.

It is what it is, so I will just enjoy the ride!!!

blkbrd

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Awestruck

Maybe I am out of touch, or just plain contrary, but for what the PC's cost, they should NOT have this little "cold start" warm up glitch.

Maybe DynaJet needs to insert this into their ads and intructions, "May need engine warm-up on cold start." They never mention this.

In their FAQ they do give advice on hard starting or no starting at all, but never is it mentioned (if it is, I missed it) about a "cold start warm-up."

Can you edit cells in the map at idle or say 500 to 1500 rpm on a PC3? If so you could simply add some fuel there. Its not under load so it's not like its going to hurt anything. I have a Bazzaz FI on an FZ6 and it allows this.

If it does allow cell changes at idle to say small tps opening, you might just save that map and then enter zeros in the idle to 3k region up to say 25% TPS IF there are negative numbers in there.
Zero would pass through the oem fuel map for that range.

If not, check your vacuum at idle and see if it is still in spec. To high indicates lean. To low below spec and it may be richer but your issue is lean. A TB adjustment may be able to get you the best of both worlds....

Last edited:

blkbrd

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

blkbrd