Overheat Issue

vako_schneider

Hi guys. I bought fz6r in december, so i had to ride in cold weather. but usually in traffic engine temp is up to 215f, and when I park with engine off fan stays on and temp goes up to 238f (this was max I saw) is it normal in winter? I changed antifreeze 1 month ago. (antifreeze mixed in water)

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Are you leaving the key on just to keep the fan on? If so, the only thing being cooled is the coolant in the radiator. So this isn't doing anything but draining your battery.

215°F IN the winter while moving over 35MPH is high. If sitting in traffic, that is normal as long as the fan cane on around 205/208....

All completely warmed gas engines increase coolant temperature once turned off. There were so many BTU's of heat being produced, some went out the exhaust, some into the coolant, some radiated from the block. The instant motion stops and the engine is off, the coolant system is rendered ineffective but there are still the same amount of BTUs to be shed so the temperature increases. Spikes 20+higher and then cools.

If you cooling system works correctly this is when the radiator cap and reservoir do their magic and draw in coolant to refill the system. Any internal or external leak can render this ineffective and run an engine out coolant...

Last bit: with temps below 50F and travel speeds over 35mph, what is your coolant temp? 165/175?? Thats where the T-stat begins to open and would be normal.

BluePill

Make sure you have the coolant all the way up to the top of the radiator after the bike has been off overnight. During the coolant change, sometimes air gets trapped in the system resulting in less than a complete fillup of new coolant.

vako_schneider

Are you leaving the key on just to keep the fan on? If so, the only thing being cooled is the coolant in the radiator. So this isn't doing anything but draining your battery.

215°F IN the winter while moving over 35MPH is high. If sitting in traffic, that is normal as long as the fan cane on around 205/208....

All completely warmed gas engines increase coolant temperature once turned off. There were so many BTU's of heat being produced, some went out the exhaust, some into the coolant, some radiated from the block. The instant motion stops and the engine is off, the coolant system is rendered ineffective but there are still the same amount of BTUs to be shed so the temperature increases. Spikes 20+higher and then cools.

If you cooling system works correctly this is when the radiator cap and reservoir do their magic and draw in coolant to refill the system. Any internal or external leak can render this ineffective and run an engine out coolant...

Last bit: with temps below 50F and travel speeds over 35mph, what is your coolant temp? 165/175?? Thats where the T-stat begins to open and would be normal.
with temps below 50F and travel speeds over 35mph coolant temp is about 175-180 i guess. it increases only when I stop in traffic. my friend has R6 2003, I ride it sometimes in traffic but coolant temp is not more than 185-190. I thought sport bikes are hotter than streets. I will check coolant level tomorrow

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member