One Bike, Two Tires

TokenSSDD

Is it wrong to have two different tire brands on at the same time? When I went to get a new tire yesterday I stopped by Cycle Gear first but all they had in stock were the Q2's (no thanks after the reviews here) so I went to the Yammy dealership in town. They only had the Michelin Powers in stock but I went ahead and got it since the install was free and yesterday was my only day off (and I couldn't get the axle nuts loose for the life of me). Is it gonna be a big deal to leave the stock Dunlop on front? Its still got a lot of life left but the guy at Cycle Gear had me second guessing because he kept talking about how you HAVE to keep the brands the same...

Hellgate

Ideally you want the same model of tire vs. brand, as the profiles, and compound is made to work best with one another.

That said I'm running two different tires after my rear 2CT was cut. Now I've got a 2CT up front and a Diablo on the back. It's not ideal but it works for now.

BTW...Q2s are an amazing tire. They do wear, but stick like glue. What is not a good tire for one person may be a terrible for another, depending on what they are doing.

yfz6r

Its recommended, but if it's a problem, you will be able to feel it in your ride. (don't look for it but ride normal like you never changed anything). Most likely, you are fine with two different tires. Much of the talk of two the same tires is just marketing.

TokenSSDD

BTW...Q2s are an amazing tire. They do wear, but stick like glue. What is not a good tire for one person may be a terrible for another, depending on what they are doing.

I read that they were a great track tire, but not so much on the street. I'm just commuting for now since there's not really any tracks around here, but I would use them if I was going to the track.

And thanks for the help guys.:thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

TokenSSDD

I'm using the Continental Conti Motion. I have no complain and work great in the Florida hot weather. Great tire for commuting... not for track use.
I saw your review but NO ONE nearby had them in stock. The dealer said he could've ordered it and had it in 2 days but I don't have a day off for the next week or so. Unless something changes that'll probably be my next one. Curse these flat Florida roads...

CrazyCawi

how come you dont order it from online?

TokenSSDD

To be honest I didn't think about it. I was banking on someone having it in stock locally. The dealer said they usually do; they just happened to sell the last on a few hours before I got there.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member