Oil change and dipstick reading

fz6rowner

I did an oil change and it was my first time doing it. I had the bike on side stand, drained most of the old oil and changed the filter. But when I added 3 quarts (or 2.96 as per manual), after starting the bike for 3 minutes, the dipstick level without turning is only 40% wet of the textured portion. Is this sufficient oil or should the level be more closer to the maximum level, like 75%?

sti491

Fill it slowly until the oil is at the top line when the dipstick is placed, not tightened in place with the bike straight up, not tilted as in a side stand. Don't worry about how much you put in. Run the bike. Let it sit a while, check it. Like your air pressure, check it every time before you ride. Keep it at the top line. It's easiest tell if it is losing any that way.

The bike has to be straight up, not on its side stand.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

fz6rowner

If the bike is upright, the level is about 70% of the hashes. Since I put exactly 3 qts (almost recommended 2.96 qts) with new filter, it appears this is the level manufacturer wants. In the past, when one of the shops that did oil change filled it all the way to the top of the hashes, another shop noticed it and suggested that it is not at optimal level and suggested taking some out. After they took out some, and they may have taken out little too much, every time I rode up a hill the red light on dashboard would come on, but not when going on flat roads. I took it back to the first shop and they said oil level is too low and filled it back again. So what is the right level for optimal performance?

As long as it's in the hashes, you're good. You didn't mention if the bike was on the side stand when you checked. Ideally, it should be upright. It's easiest to just sit on the bike and keep it up while checking.

If you want to you can slowly add more oil until it's at the top of the hashes. Just keep in mind that if you overfill it, any excess oil will typically be blown out of the breather hose and into your airbox and potentially coat your air filter.

sti491

It is true overfilling can cause problems, blow by into the air box being one of them. The maunufacturer knows what they are talking about on this one per the manual. With the bike upright, fill it to top line, with the engine hot if you are really concerned about overfilling. The oil level should be adequate anywhere between the 2 lines. The reason you want it at the top line is if it starts leaking or using oil and you are not checking it every ride, you are less likely to run too low and seize it up or do other damage. Often in many engines, by the time the idiot light goes on it's too late, or you have little margin of error. That why they are called idiot lights..only idiots don't check their oil!