O2 sensor and AIS in Oz (+ tbr exhaust)

VRIIClubby

Woohoo, I'm a happy man! Ordered my tbr cf black series exhaust last night, now need some help on the confusing parts, I have tried to search but am away with work on my phone so makes it hard!

When I install my tbr, do I weld a bung in for the O2 sensor? Or do a removal of it?
Do I need the block off plates with/without the o2 sensor?
And will be ordering three parts tonight I hope if the answers are clearer! Also getting the jb pro tonight :D

Thx!!!

airwalk

Hi Clubby,

I have researched this matter in depth and am slowly getting my head around it.

I am in the same position as you looking at a cost effective approach to the exhaust matter. I have asked several people the same questions as you and this is what I understand thus far;

- An O2 sensor is not used on the US spec bikes (Aus bikes do)
- When an aftermarket exhaust is fitted to the US models there is risk that the bike can run lean if a DBK is not used. In some cases they run the Power Commander to ensure the engine does not run lean.
- On Aus models the ECU requires an input from the O2 sensor which it uses to determine the correct mixture. If you do not run the O2 sensor you will get a full rich signal which is not good.
- The O2 sensor installed and functioning correctly should eliminate the need install a power commander to adjust mixture.

I am looking at three options at the moment;
- Marthy's option from this site however it is a bit of effort chopping current system which is not ideal as I want the original as a back up for resale purposes etc.
- The TB option you have chosen which as you have highlighted does not cater for an O@ sensor install
- Third option is looking good. Guy in perth is selling an IXIL full system which will bolt straight in and as I understand has the O2 sensor mount.

The IXIL system is advertised for an XJ6 however I have been reassured that it will fit the FZ6R with Fairings.

The one thing that concerns me is that I have not seen anyone on the forum talking about the IXIL system to fit the FZ6R and it hasn't really come up in discussion on the various exhaust threads (that I've seen). It would be great if someone on the forum who has tried this could chime in and confirm if they had fitted this to their bike.

Good luck with the install.

VRIIClubby

Thx for be response!

Well I ordered the tbr jb pro anyway, just waiting on ordering the AIS block offs, I'm a sparkie for an irrigation company that does major stainless manifolds etc so get it the welding is a piece of cake,

Is it a waste of money having the fuel controller aswell?! Lol I hope not, I have seen a fee posts from Beet where he has his tucked up (sensor) the others where he may have the sensor installed... The fun of sitting I a motel room trying to decipher shit on ur iPhone!

airwalk

Hey mate, conducting research on the phone never fun, not having the bike nearby to go for a spin is even worse :(

I will reiterate I'm no expert on this matter and can only relay what info I have gathered. One thing for certain is that I will be ensuring the O2 sensor goes back on when I change the exhaust.

I have heard of sensors being tucked up out of the way however I suspect that a JB will def be needed to overcome the issue of the ECU not receiving the relevant signal. If you have access to a welder and can install a mounting point I would be inclined to install the sensor and run the bike first before installing the JB.

It may be worth contacting Bert on the site; I think he is melbourne based and has posted before on this subject including mapping setup in the JB.

VRIIClubby

Have you removed your throttle restricter as yet?
I'm on my P's, so legally speaking, no, I can't do that...

I ordered the jb pro and the block offs today so il have a play and see what works, it'll be Xmas time when all my goodies start turning up :)

Wifey is gonna kill me!

Bert-Aus

Hey guys,
I unplugged my O2 sensor altogether when I did my exhaust, which is setup with PCV.
Which I understand to be a similar deal to JB pro.
Since you have ordered the JB pro, you may find it easier to do away with the O2 sensor anyways. I attempted to find some info on same matter when doing mine but was to no avail.
Either way, VRIIClubby keep us posted as to how you go with it!
The more shared info on this site the better

Btw I am in Radelaide

VRIIClubby

So, the Zorst has been on for close to 3 weeks now, The exhaust arrived before the JB Pro and I had to do a 2500km ride that weekend so I welded a bung in the pipe for the o2 sensor and rode!

I had no problems what so ever, mileage was about the same as usual, was just bloody loud! Riding around town with the stock silencer in it is way to loud, but sitting on 80kmh + on long trips it just turns into another "noise" thats there.
I purchased the P1X DB Killer aswell, I may keep that in around town (small country town so you can hear me leave work and ride all the way home) not good with the boys in blue! In Sydney it didnt seem as loud as out here in the sticks.

very happy with it all, was a pain to install without having stands for the bike but didnt take too long! The vid's and assoiciated posts on here made it all a fair bit easier.

PhatSV6

Help

Hi Clubby,

I am in the same position as you looking at a cost effective approach to the exhaust matter. I have asked several people the same questions as you and this is what I understand thus far;

- When an aftermarket exhaust is fitted to the US models there is risk that the bike can run lean if a DBK is not used. In some cases they run the Power Commander to ensure the engine does not run lean.
- On Aus models the ECU requires an input from the O2 sensor which it uses to determine the correct mixture. If you do not run the O2 sensor you will get a full rich signal which is not good.
- The O2 sensor installed and functioning correctly should eliminate the need install a power commander to adjust mixture.

- Marthy's option from this site however it is a bit of effort chopping current system which is not ideal as I want the original as a back up for resale purposes etc.
- The TB option you have chosen which as you have highlighted does not cater for an O@ sensor install
- Third option is looking good. Guy in perth is selling an IXIL full system which will bolt straight in and as I understand has the O2 sensor mount.

The IXIL system is advertised for an XJ6 however I have been reassured that it will fit the FZ6R with Fairings.

The one thing that concerns me is that I have not seen anyone on the forum talking about the IXIL system to fit the FZ6R and it hasn't really come up in discussion on the various exhaust threads (that I've seen). It would be great if someone on the forum who has tried this could chime in and confirm if they had fitted this to their bike.

Do you know by what percentage either side of flat does the sensor adjust by as i have done a custom GTYR exhaust on my fz6r and without db killer sometimes it drops a small flame (rare). When i start my bike it sounds like it has a lumpy cam if its not warm is this normal

Bert-Aus

Do you know by what percentage either side of flat does the sensor adjust by as i have done a custom GTYR exhaust on my fz6r and without db killer sometimes it drops a small flame (rare). When i start my bike it sounds like it has a lumpy cam if its not warm is this normal
When you start your bike, the air/ fuel ratio is distorted compared to warm running due to the auto choke; hence the 'lumpy' note.
If your system is a straight through exhaust mid system, you will be able to see a flame, especially after revving the motor and closing the throttle off
-to see this run your bike at night and stand back to look down the internal of the exhaust

If your system is straight through (without catalytic converter) and you're running without a DBK, your 02 sensor may not be reading true.
This is due to the exhaust gases escaping too easily out the back end.

I would recommend your insert a DBK to get your 02 sensor to operate correctly and then it should adjust the EFI levels.

sammacfarlane

Hi Clubby,

I have the full IXIL system on my FZ6R. Was somewhat[ easy to install...

After removing all the fairings and the existing exhaust, I began to bolt on the headers. The first two went on okay, but the second two had to be pulled very tightly by a friend to get them to line up correctly.

Once the headers were in place I slipped on the can and bolted that on too.

When it came to the O2 sensor, that was a bit of a struggle.

Now I don't know if this is with every IXIL exhaust or unfortunately just my one.. But the placement of the hole for the O2 sensor is just off.
What I mean is that when you go to screw the sensor in, the sensor itself it resting against the oil pan and can't be screwed in all the way to create a seal.

If the hole was 10mm further down the pipe towards the can it wouldn't have been an issue.

My solution was crude, but I wanted it fixed as soon as I could.

I purchased some heat resistant epoxy and puttied it around the O2 sensor and the thread to lock everything in place and create an airtight seal.