NOOB question: How to charge battery?

armado

Hi!

I have a 09 FZ6R and my motorcycle did not start yesterday. I suspect it is due to the battery. Is there any way to check this using a multimeter? If so, what reading should the multimeter show to confirm my battery charge is depleted?

Nextly, I have a Battery Tender and plan to use to charge the battery. How do I use it?

[*]Should I select 6V or 12V on the Battery tender?

[*]Should I connect the red clamp to the positive side of the battery?

[*]What about the black clamp? Does it connect to the negative side of the battery or should I connect it to the chassis of the motorcycle?

Please help. Sorry for the dumb question.

TexanFZ6R

So with the multimeter, select the 20 volt DC scale. Touch the red (+) probe to the positive terminal of the battery. And toucb the black (neg) to the negative terminal of the battery. A good battery shpyld show between 11.5 and 12.5 volts (11.0 would probably still be good). Below that you'll have issues starting.

For the battery tender. Bikes and cars use a 12v system. Red to positve and black to negative.

Once the battery has been charging for a while, remove the tender and see if itll start. If it does, check the voltage reading on the battery with it running. It should read 13.5 to 14.5 volta with the engine running (indicates that it is charging)

tdnathens

(Armado) If your battery voltage is very low you may have to charge it over night on the 6 volt setting. Then switch the charger to 12 volts to fully charge the battery. It may take 12 to 18 hours to fully charge your battery once its on the 12 volt setting with a Battery Tender.
Tom

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

TN6R

My bike sat for about 3 months untouched and the battery completely died...plus is was freezing for nearly all that time. I charged my bike off my car and yes that is not recommended BUT I did not have my car running at all when I jumped it. I basically attached the jumper cables and then let it sit for about 45 minutes with nothing on from either the car or the bike. After the wait, I simply disconnected the jumper cables (again I never started the car). My bike started right up like normal and has been perfect every time I start it up now. This was since the beginning of December when I jumped it.

armado

Thanks guys!

1) I was able to use the multimeter and it showed a reading of 12.1 volts. Does it mean the battery is good? Since it is a 12 volts battery’s, isn’t this the correct reading?
2) I tried to use battery tender when the battery was installed in the bike. However, it flashes error code. If I choose 12volt setting, within 5 minutes of connecting the battery tender the green two flashing with the amber light steady. Same thing with 6 volt setting. I am now starting to wonder if there is a problem with the battery (I hope nothing else).

Any suggestions?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

armado

I am using Battery Tender from Costco. It is a 3amps charger.
http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender.html

I took the battery to the dealership today. They said the battery needs to be charged and something to do with sulfation (don’t understand what the heck it means). Nevertheless, the mechanic at the dealership said that battery tender is used to maintain charge and not necessarily to recharge a dead battery. Since the battery tender has 3amps rating, I think I should be able to recharge the battery. I plan to reinstall the battery in the motorcycle and give another shot with the battery tender.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

TexanFZ6R

Did you check battery voltage with the bike running? Between 13ish and 14.5ish volts means its charging properly

sti491

I think all the advice here is good, although I have never charged a 12V battery with the charger set on 6V.

A battery tender charges at a low "trickle" rate. It will charge a low battery, it just takes over night to do it. But here is the reason for my two cents chiming in, is this the original battery in your bike from '09? If so, I highly suggest a new battery. No kick starter on our bikes. So when your battery dies and you are in Podonk Nowhere USA, with no hill nearby to roll start it easily, you are SOL unless you find someone with jumper cables, and then you have to get you seat off, all of which could put a damper on your ride. And to add to the fun it usually happens at the worst time, like when it's cold, or raining, or all your buddy's want to for a ride with you on a perfect day. While I am sure there are lots of people on the forum who's OEM pottery lasted them 8-10 years. But fact is the average life of a new lead acid battery is 5 years. Some say the new lighter, smaller and expensive Lithium Phoshate batteries last longer. Jury is out on that, although I did recently try one for the weight savings, which is a lot. You need a different version charger for it however.

I suggest you get a new battery for piece of mind and reliability. Your battery tender should have come with a 2 prong plug that has ring connectors on one end. If not, buy one. Connect (bolt, permanently) the black ring end on the neg battery post and the red one to positive. Route the cord to under your passenger seat. Have the 2-prong end (that has a little rubber cover) poke out just a bit on the right side between the seat and the lower seat cowling. The right side makes it easier to get to because of the way the bike leans on it's side stand. There can be some cord slack under the seat so you can pull it out a little when you need it, and push it back so you can barely see it when riding.

The other part of this wire attaches to your charger. Every time you park your bike in the garage, plug it in. Easy Peasy. If you plug you bike's battery to a battery tender most of the time you park it routinely, especially in winter or cold weather months, your new battery will last a lot longer.

You can also get a gauge like this on Amazon for under $10, and you will always know what's up with your battery and your bikes charging system when you are riding. The picture doesn't capture the nice LEAD readout very well from this gauge. My Lithium phosphate batter reads around 13 without the bike running. 13.7 - 14 when it is running. My old (2012) OEM battery was always lower than that.

Lastly, none of your questions are dumb. We all don't know what we don't know, until we know. The only way to know is either to try without guidance, and you may fail or succeed, so you learn from experience, right? The other way is to seek assistance from those that failed or succeeded before you. I think that's what forums are best for. Keep asking man!

Attachments

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

tdnathens

(sti491) Many times when I have a 12 volt battery that has very low voltage (under 9.5 to 0) I start it out on a 6 volt charger. Most 6 volt chargers will take a 12 volt battery to over 10 volts. The reason is SOME newer electronic 12 volt charger-maintainers have a low voltage cut out. To protect themselves they will not try to charge a 12 volt battery if it is below 10 volts when attached. Many like the OP's Battery Tender shut down after a set time (33 hrs) if the battery does not reach full voltage. They will not charge unless reconnected. The older transformer type chargers don't have this feature. They will charge anything, but they can't be left hooked up. I believe the OP's battery must be old.
Tom

sti491

(sti491) Many times when I have a 12 volt battery that has very low voltage (under 9.5 to 0) I start it out on a 6 volt charger. Most 6 volt chargers will take a 12 volt battery to over 10 volts. The reason is SOME newer electronic 12 volt charger-maintainers have a low voltage cut out. To protect themselves they will not try to charge a 12 volt battery if it is below 10 volts when attached. Many like the OP's Battery Tender shut down after a set time (33 hrs) if the battery does not reach full voltage. They will not charge unless reconnected. The older transformer type chargers don't have this feature. They will charge anything, but they can't be left hooked up. I believe the OP's battery must be old.
Tom
I had not heard of that before. Thanks!