New Rider and New Member from the Lone start State

TexanFZ6R

Hello guys and gals. I've had dirt bikes for the last two years or so, decided I wanted to move to street riding. I got my license and took the MSF course back in October 2016 and really fell in love with riding. Fast Forward 3 or 4 months and I'm finally in a position where I can afford to buy a bike. So after much research, deciding on a bike multiple times and finding out it had already sold multiple times, I finally came across this beauty 4 hours away. The dealership was closed when I came across the ad so I called them the minute they opened this morning. Talked to the salesman who said it ran and rode fine. Put a deposit on the bike and they are supposed to ship it from Austin to Dallas and have it serviced and ready to go by Tuesday. Due to my schedule, I'll have to wait until Thursday to drive to the dealer, pay for the bike, fill out the paperwork and ride her home. I am beyond excited and cant wait to have this thing in my garage.

So, a little about the bike. It's a blue 2013 with 5800 miles on the odometer. It has a Two Brothers Racing Black series exhaust, a smoked windscreen, flush mount turn signals, grips and bar end weights, frame slider, seat cowl, fender eliminator and an integrated taillight. It has a few scratches on the right side and a small dent in the tank but nothing unsightly.

A few mods I have planned for the future include woodcraft clip ons, new grips, shorty levers, and a rear seat for the girlfriend (later, I want to have quite a bit of experience before taking her for a ride).

So I am looking forward to talking with everyone, learning new things, and enjoying each ride on the bike.

And now for the pictures, the reason everyone clicked on the thread haha!

TexanFZ6R

Rode it home from the dealership today :D A 45 minute ride home took me 6 hours lol. 90 miles today and I loved every minute of it. I know it's new to me, so my opinion may change, but I love this bike.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

TexanFZ6R

Added some levers today. The blue matches the bike very well. A lot better than I was expecting.

And a random pic I took. I put 225 miles on the bike this weekend

Volmark

Congrats, i just got mine recently too. Where im from its ruude to ask what you paid buy hey thats what the internet is for. Please share if you are willing to say. I would love to know what these are worth.

TexanFZ6R

Congrats, i just got mine recently too. Where im from its ruude to ask what you paid buy hey thats what the internet is for. Please share if you are willing to say. I would love to know what these are worth.
Less than five grand out the door, that's all I'll say lol

I installed some zx6r mirrors (actually decent quality mirrors, I expected much worse). Love the look, visibility is only slightly worse, almost negligible. I also replaced the ugly, crooked tank pad with a new one.

TexanFZ6R

Big updates... sorta.

First off, I've owned this bike for exactly one month now. I found out yesterday that the bikes has a PCV. I had no idea, I just walked outside last night and saw the red box lol

I'm going to pick up the stuff I need to add the speed sensor wire so I can download Marthy's most popular map tomorrow. I want to do the block off plates, will removing the AIS cause me to fail an emissions test?

I hit 1,000 miles (personal) on the bike tonight.

BzB

finding that pcv is an awesome easter egg. since you already have the full exhaust you're ready to load up marthys map. the only other thing i would suggest checking for are block off plates. eliminates exhaust popping noises on deceleration. who knows, that might already be installed. easy to do if not. run the speed sensor wire, load up marthys rev b map and you'll fall in love with the bike all over again.

almost two years of ownership myself and still love the fz6r. congrats on yours.

TexanFZ6R

finding that pcv is an awesome easter egg. since you already have the full exhaust you're ready to load up marthys map. the only other thing i would suggest checking for are block off plates. eliminates exhaust popping noises on deceleration. who knows, that might already be installed. easy to do if not. run the speed sensor wire, load up marthys rev b map and you'll fall in love with the bike all over again.

almost two years of ownership myself and still love the fz6r. congrats on yours.
My bike pops a lot on decel so I hope they haven't already been done. I downloaded the tune but I didn't notice much of a difference. Ill get a better idea when I can ride it for more than 5 minutes. Thanks!

TexanFZ6R

I uploaded the adv gear rev b map for the pcv. I was mainly looking to get rid of the popping on decel. Didn't realize block off plates were the only fix for that. Oh well, the map helps anyways. So I plan to order some block off plates. Additionally, I hate my damn taillight. I think the chrome is ugly and it's very hard to see during the day. I'm thinking a stock taillight with some smoked turn signals.

I've also been on a couple rides recently

And a few random pictures

TexanFZ6R

Installed block off plates. I expected too much out of these things so I'm a little disappointed in them. They did clean up the popping a little but, imo, not worth the time and money.

Hit 2000 miles (that I've personally put on the bike)

Pulled over to walk off a hip cramp and snapped a pic

xleeb0y13x

Hey good looking bike. Best year and color hands down. I got a similar setup to you and the popping on decel won't go away without getting a custom tune. And that's if it will fully go away at all. The block off plates help a little which over time is. Eternal for the bike. Although I got mine in 2013 put 32k miles on it and haven't had any adverse effects. Also motodynamics has a integrated smoked taillight that looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexanFZ6R

Hey good looking bike. Best year and color hands down. I got a similar setup to you and the popping on decel won't go away without getting a custom tune. And that's if it will fully go away at all. The block off plates help a little which over time is. Eternal for the bike. Although I got mine in 2013 put 32k miles on it and haven't had any adverse effects. Also motodynamics has a integrated smoked taillight that looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep if I had read the graves install thread, I would've known that. I also would've known that I'm due for spark plug replacement in 200 miles. Could've tackled both while I was in there. Should've waited haha. A custom tune is what I'll probably end up doing but I have no idea what it'll cost and it's probably more than I want to spend right now.

Thanks for the Motodynamic suggestion. The smoked integrated taillight is what I really want but I paid $25 for a good condition oem taillight and some cheap smoked signals on ebay. I'll run those for a while and get the motodynamic tail and front signals in the future

TexanFZ6R

I ordered a factory taillight for $17 on ebay and some $10 china specials for turn signals. I had to drill out the holes in my fender eliminator because the holes were barely too small for the turn signal. I also had to modify the mounting hardware for the old flush mounts to install the front signals. They don't look as good as the flush mounts but they aren't that bad and they can be seen during the day, so I can live with them

TexanFZ6R

About time for an update - I've put 30xx miles on the bike so far as well.

Changed the oil 2000 miles early to get back on the regular maintenance interval

Also needed a new front tire. I didn't realize it had gotten so bad until I got home from riding all day. 120/70r17 Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire. The rear will need replacing soon too.

And some cool pictures

TexanFZ6R

I was sick of looking at the tall front end so I lowered the front 1.75" in preparation for clip ons.

Stock height

-1.75" in the front

And a sunset pic

Last edited: