New Levers?

Y

yellowfz

Wow , those things look dangerous .
I was rushed to emergency room after backing to my lever while working on my bike . :eek:
If you used the word "sharp" to describe them as in "they look sharp" it would have a duel meaning > :)

iSpoolin

I do not want! haha

k6gad

I agree with yellowfz! I was in an accident in the mid 1980's and my left hand was jammed between the handlebar and the clutch. It broke two fingers....with these I would be missing two fingers....no thanks!

Fogride

I know several guys that lost the finger tips from sheet metal levers. These look like they would do the same on a ride it into the ground crash, as you should on a low side. No thanks!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
We've got 15+ people in the FZ1 forum who have bought the Fire Dragon Brothers levers on ebay and all have nothing but good to day about them. I am looking at them now for both mine and my wife's FZ1s I emailed the guy (he is an American doing business out of China) and if you order two sets, you can get them shipped for the cost of a single set. So, buddy-up and order with a friend to save shipping. 04-10 FZ6 06-10 FZ1 09-10 FZ6R XJ6 Brake Clutch Lever D - eBay (item 320575643362 end time Feb-09-11 17:26:54 PST) for the long black with red adjusters.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

We've got 15+ people in the FZ1 forum who have bought the Fire Dragon Brothers levers on ebay and all have nothing but good to day about them. I am looking at them now for both mine and my wife's FZ1s I emailed the guy (he is an American doing business out of China) and if you order two sets, you can get them shipped for the cost of a single set. So, buddy-up and order with a friend to save shipping. 04-10 FZ6 06-10 FZ1 09-10 FZ6R XJ6 Brake Clutch Lever D - eBay (item 320575643362 end time Feb-09-11 17:26:54 PST) for the long black with red adjusters.
Yeah , a lot of people have those , I do as well , love them , good workmanship and great price . Have the 2 finger length , although I can get 3 fingers on the clutch which is nice .

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Y

yellowfz

FDB also has the foldable/adjustable length ones. You can make them shorties of longs. 2007-09 R6s 01-05 FZ1 Foldable Adjustable B/C Lever BLK - eBay (item 220695826049 end time Feb-10-11 05:21:46 PST) Plus, they fold up in the event you have an off and will more often than not survive the crash. :thumbup:

Let's see if this works:

Those are cool and all but my fingers have quit growing some time ago so will not need to adjust for growth , and I never crash so folding on crash is not a issue either . :D
Seriously though , do like the length adjustment thing , in and out adjustment , but the flip up thing don't like , now if they made a set without the flip up and left the rest it would be perfect .

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
A lot of the MotoGP racers use folding levers. :thumbup: Saves money in a crash if they fold instead of breaking.

But yes, they do make a set that does all of this and does not fold.

All those adjustments are not for finger growth. They adjust to suit the need of the rider and the conditions he/she is riding in. Most are OK with day to day riding on the roads and long levers. But people who track like to have only one or two fingers on the lever and the others keeping a firm grip on the bars. This includes the canyon carvers as well. Being able to adjust the pull is also helpful. You can then adjust between the lever and the clutch cables to move the friction zone to where YOU want it, not where Yamaha puts it. ;)

Also coupled with that, there is a guy in the FZ6 forum that is producing longer clutch actuator levers (the engine end where the cable attaches) which extends the friction zone. Yamaha used a pretty short lever there which is why the zone is so short and abrupt. His levers drag the zone out a little and results in smoother clutching, less problems starting out and easier starts on a hill. Great product for another member! I believe these will work on the FZ6R since this model shares so much with the FZ6 sibling.

Oh, and yellowfz? Don't jinx yourself... I went 27 years without a crash and had my off last year. There are two types of riders: Those that have crashed and those that will. It might not be your fault when it happens. This is why I am ATGATT. I dress for the crash, not for the ride. I drive like everyone cannot see me and they are all out to kill me. :D

jay

FZ1inNH said:
There are two types of riders: Those that have crashed and those that will. It might not be your fault when it happens. This is why I am ATGATT. I dress for the crash, not for the ride. I drive like everyone cannot see me and they are all out to kill me. :D
I think this is pretty good upgarde for the price.. dress for the crash.. thats definetly smart thinking..!

be safe all..

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yellowfz

A lot of the MotoGP racers use folding levers. :thumbup: Saves money in a crash if they fold instead of breaking.

But yes, they do make a set that does all of this and does not fold.

All those adjustments are not for finger growth. They adjust to suit the need of the rider and the conditions he/she is riding in. Most are OK with day to day riding on the roads and long levers. But people who track like to have only one or two fingers on the lever and the others keeping a firm grip on the bars. This includes the canyon carvers as well. Being able to adjust the pull is also helpful. You can then adjust between the lever and the clutch cables to move the friction zone to where YOU want it, not where Yamaha puts it. ;)

Also coupled with that, there is a guy in the FZ6 forum that is producing longer clutch actuator levers (the engine end where the cable attaches) which extends the friction zone. Yamaha used a pretty short lever there which is why the zone is so short and abrupt. His levers drag the zone out a little and results in smoother clutching, less problems starting out and easier starts on a hill. Great product for another member! I believe these will work on the FZ6R since this model shares so much with the FZ6 sibling.

Oh, and yellowfz? Don't jinx yourself... I went 27 years without a crash and had my off last year. There are two types of riders: Those that have crashed and those that will. It might not be your fault when it happens. This is why I am ATGATT. I dress for the crash, not for the ride. I drive like everyone cannot see me and they are all out to kill me. :D
Dude , did you see the smiley face at the end of the sentence ? It means J/K < (this means just kidding) or joking , fooling around , not serious . :surrender:
Trust me 35 years of riding I have crashed once or twice , when you race it is expected .
I have always used the 2 finger type of levers and never had a problem with them bending in a crash , a long time ago they had plastic unbreakable levers , street or dirt , and I always leave the lever mount clamping bolt just tight enough to hold but will spin if enough force is exerted .
Old MotoX racing tricks .

Last edited by a moderator:

clifford_05

The blade levers look cool but I'd guess they would pose a small safety risk? I'd almost get a pair if it weren't for that. Cool idea to say the least in my opinion.

Spunky99

Just buy an extra set of levers. I can see where a folder might get you back on the track fast but iffy. You are probably out of the race anyway if the crash was enough to bust a lever.
I keep the lever mounts loos enough to move in a crash and I can pound it back down if needed.