new Honda CBR 650

frankdevans

did honda look at the FZ6R when designing this bike, absolutely. they would be foolish not to check out what their competition is. all manufactures do this with all makes/models.

to your eye you say it is an almost exactly copy, while to many others, we can point to some similarities and that's it. you could just as easy say, the rims are different, the frame is dif., the swingarm is dif., honda has a nice see thru lower fairing to show the header pipes going down to the cat., honda top triple tree and instru.cluster give you an idea why the MSRP is more. could go on and on.

just because a bike has under-carriage exhaust it's a yami copy? look at the CBR1000
I didn't say that my evaluation as a copy was only due to 1 factor (exhaust), I pretty clearly outlined 3 factors (and just missed the headlight, even though all their other sports have double headlights). Plus, the CBR1000RR does not have under-carriage exhaust like the FZ6R--it has the short stumpy one out the right like all the GSX-R's used to have.

All that being said, I could probably make a lot of the same argument about the FZ6R when it came out in 09 vs the SV650S at the time--so argument withdrawn.

However, perhaps it will persuade Big Blue to update the FZ6R with some more modern electronics and other general refresh enhancements. One can only dream.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

frankdevans

I think if Yamaha jacks up the price to the 8K mark they can kiss sales goodbye. It's a decent starter bike and good all around bike, but most of their sales are directed at new riders. New riders will be more likely to go to 300 and 500 cc bikes due to their cheaper price tags. It will no longer be an entry level bike price wise IMO. You can get leftover bikes pretty cheap (have found Ninja 1000, FZ1 and ZX6R 636 for $8000 and under because they are overstock 2013,12 and even 11). Yamaha is already pushing it with new bike price range in the upper $7000 range. Yamaha needs to decide if they want to keep the 6R as entry level or improve it and raise the tag price to get intermediate riders. I'd love to see them boost performance a bit (fz6 range) and add abs, but that will put it around the CBR650 tag price of $8500 which is too high for most entry level riders.
Did I just grow up way poorer than everyone else or something? Who buys a brand new bike as a beginner? I'm 31, been riding since I was 14 and I've never bought a brand new bike. For me, used is the way to go. For cheap, you can get a lot of bike for not much, and sell it the next year for only a marginal loss (if any at all).

And for newer, there are always thousands of people that buy bikes brand new, put 500 miles on them, and sell them in 12-18 months in perfect condition for 70% new MSRP. God bless those people.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

EsrTek

awesome! what color? surprised honda did the blue. do you use Sloans in Murfreesboro? I knew a salesman there years ago
I think site said ABS is red only... if I have a choice, it'll be white.
I used sloans for last 2 bikes, and will not be going back. They changed to Indian primarily dealer, and selection in showroom has dropped off.
I'll probably buy from Castle Powersports in Nashville.

Did I just grow up way poorer than everyone else or something? Who buys a brand new bike as a beginner? I'm 31, been riding since I was 14 and I've never bought a brand new bike. For me, used is the way to go. For cheap, you can get a lot of bike for not much, and sell it the next year for only a marginal loss (if any at all).

And for newer, there are always thousands of people that buy bikes brand new, put 500 miles on them, and sell them in 12-18 months in perfect condition for 70% new MSRP. God bless those people.
A few reasons....
I bought my very first bike used, knew nothing about maintenance or what to look at and didn't know anyone who did or would come look with me.
Needless to say I got a terrible shape bike and was riding it around like it was 100% in shape...that didn't work out.
After that point I bought an new bike brand new so I knew history and could maintain my level of maintenance on it.
Another reason is money available on hand... not everyone can part w a few thousand at a time on a bike, or buy a beater and fix it up.

Last edited:

StephenA

However, perhaps it will persuade Big Blue to update the FZ6R with some more modern electronics and other general refresh enhancements. One can only dream.
hopefully. That's sort of what I'm hoping for. I think this will be a new battle ground of sorts. Companies are realizing that not everyone wants a SS and this new entry will hopefully mix things up and start some competition. So, I'm eager to see what new designs will come up in the near future.
:D

EsrTek

Dealer(s) all telling me they don't expect to see the CBR650F on floors until June - Sept time frame. That's a bit too much time for me, I want to ride by end of Feb.
I've also been thinking to wait a yr or two, for any possible bugs to get worked out.

engineered2win

With OE clipons I think this will have a more aggressive riding style than the 6R, so it is more like an entry level supersport. The 6R is an excellent sport tourer, and I don't think the 650F will compete directly with it.

StephenA

With OE clipons I think this will have a more aggressive riding style than the 6R, so it is more like an entry level supersport. The 6R is an excellent sport tourer, and I don't think the 650F will compete directly with it.
Shouldn't be all that aggressive. It isn't a SS so it won't be too leaned over. Based on the pictures, it still looks quite upright.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

m3tric

Any new info about U.S. release dates for this bike? I couldn't wait any longer so I bought an FZ6R, but I'm hearing that a few people are getting their CBR650F's at the end of June in California

Bert-Aus

I sat on one in the dealer last week, it felt much the same the my XJ6S (from memory)

With added bonus of a adjustable screen.
I am guessing this bike is a combination of the FZ6R and the ER650 with Honda quality.
If Yamaha is stopping production of the FZ6R this will fill the void in the market (along with the FZ07/ MT07)

BoneJj

I find i disappointing that the fairing version has lower bars than the naked version. Make them the same height bars.... if they are buying a 650 series it's not for speed but it is for being a sport bike with upright seating position.

by lowering the bars on the fairing version it's like they are trying to cross breed between a SS and sport. which is actually harder on the body.

yillbs

6R makes about 80 and the cbr makes 85 (both at the crank nor rwhp). Not a big enough difference to justify paying more. CBR is a heavy bike as well with a little less torque and higher rpm for max power. I've cut at least 20 lbs off my bike and added about 5 hp with exhaust. Hell I could have a brand new 2012 fz1 for $7500 right now if I had the money. No way I'd pay that much for a bike that I wouldn't keep.
Bit old, but how do you figure the 6r makes about 80HP, it's rated at 64 at the crank, the CBR is rated at 85, you're about 15+ horsepower off.

unless I'm missing something. :thumbup:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

yillbs

Negative, most reviews quote the stock rwhp, not the crank hp which is rated at 78 I believe. Most people with aftermarket exhaust and pcv have dyno'd 75hp or so at the rear wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
what do you mean by most reviews? All reviews that i've been able to see on the bike quote 64, some quote 68, and others quote 65.
who's to say the CBR isn't being rated at the rear wheel?
Anything related to the CBR all seems to say 85 / 86.

What does yamaha say it is as the crank? I can't seem to find that.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

yillbs

Google fz6r hp. I don't know what the CBR rates. Stock hp is 77 or 78 hp crank. CBR looks like a nice bike. I'm looking at GSXR750 for my next bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Cbr Rates 85, although don't know if that's crank or rwhp, Guess the only way to settle this is a race..