New Cable Lube tool!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
It is synthetic oil, holds the exact amount you need, is refillable without shelling out $17+ dollars and the application tube is flexible thus no disassembly needed. How can you not win with this kit? ;)

Stricken

It is synthetic oil, holds the exact amount you need, is refillable without shelling out $17+ dollars and the application tube is flexible thus no disassembly needed. How can you not win with this kit? ;)
One kit is only good for 1 bike. The link that I provided is good for more than 6 bikes from my experience.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
One kit is only good for 1 bike. The link that I provided is good for more than 6 bikes from my experience.
This kit is good until you break something. With the small amount of oil you pull back into the syringe, a quart of synthetic oil is going a LOT further than 6 bikes. :D That is $3 - $4 extra. I'm guessing we'd be replacing cables before the quart runs dry. ;)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Any updates from those who've gotten their kits? Have you had the chance to use them at all? Let's hear your feedback on the use of this kit please. :D

JSP

Super Moderator
I've got my kit, but only at 1800 miles on the R6, still not time to lube up yet :D

Spunky99

I'm going to lube the FZ6R and the NSR50R on Saturday. I'll post after.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
The owner, Travis, posted this video today. Hope this helps!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF43XTc3io8]YouTube - VID00141[/ame]

qnoisx

I got a couple kits in last weekend. I ordered the full kit and a refill with just extra syringes. Since I ordered them at the same time he put them in one envelope and refunded my shipping on the refill. I thought that was pretty nice of him.

I used the first kit on my Ninja since it's long overdue and the FZ6R is still in pieces. It's super easy and takes...well depends on how long it takes you to uncover the throttle cable and put it back together. Otherwise you just insert the tube about half an inch and squeeze the syringe. My throttle is silky smooth now! The clutch squeaks a bit, but that's probably because I didn't insert the tube correctly. Not sure the oil made it all the way down.

All in all, a nice product. Just be sure to insert more than just the tip of the tube.

Spunky99

When I pull back on the plunger, the pin comes right out of the rubber.
There is no way to refill these unless you use something long and skinny to push the rubber stopper back out and refill from the top.
Repeat...when you pull back on the plunger it comes off the rubber immediately.
They are single use units.

I injected my clutch cable on the NSR50R and wowee it sure is nice and slick.
I did the same to the 1/4 throttle that has a plastic sheath and haven't noticed any difference there yet. It was fine before tho.

I have a third tube I'll use on the clutch and throttle on the FZ6R this weekend.

The really skinny injection tube is perfect to get into the cable sheath and inject. Excellent idea.

owldaddy

Since this topic came up. I thought I would do my clutch cable, the throttle cable is very slick still, the bike only has 3500 miles on it. I have one of those clamp on devices that allow injection of a lube in an aerosol can, so I thought I would be using it. After a closer look at the cable, I thought perhaps if I were to turn the front wheel full right, rotate the cable adjustment so that the slot cut in it for the cable, is facing upwards. This places the cable end higher then the rest of the cable, and a trough forms inside the adjuster body that can hold oil (only a couple drops) Pull the lever, drop a couple drops of oil in the trough, (I used Breakfree) and work the lever a few times. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Reset the adjuster (1/4 turn in my case) and ride. I went for a 30 mile ride after doing this. When I got off the bike I had some oil film on the clutch casing, so I know the oil made it all the way down, and it didn't take that much. The cost was a couple drops of oil I already had in my garage. The 6R is probably the easiest clutch cable I have ever lubed. While I was looking at the front of the lever, I could see where dirt could get into the cable, there is nothing to prevent crap from getting in there while riding, bugs and dust are likey to get in and gum things up, so I took a piece of rubber hose, it had a wall thickness of about 4mm, I cut a piece .15" long enough to fill the void and cover the bar cable. I used 2 of these, one for each side of the lever. The only time crude can get into the cable now, is when your working the lever, the cable becomes exposed for the duration of the gear change.

Last edited:

davidrosso

Email sent on 6/9 and again on 6/13, still no reply. Not exactly the best way to do business :(

EDIT: Nevermind, my bad, just checked my outbox, looks like I sent the emails to the wrong address!

Last edited:

ChUcK

This tool looks solid, I've used those syringes many times before in the lab. If anyone wants to make their own it is pretty simple, though.

I have a spray can of cable lube, with the little red plastic straw. Take the straw and heat it up about an inch from the end, enough so you can stretch the straw just a bit. This elongates and narrows that portion of the straw. Cut it with scissors at the thinnest point and SHAZAM you have a straw that is skinny enough to fit between the cable and its housing.

Screw those crappy cable lube tools, the ones that clamp on to the end. They don't work well for our cables, plus they require some really annoying dismantling of the clutch and throttle.

raybob

Y'all might consider this:

Bike Aid Dri-Slide 4oz. Lube with Needle Nozzle at Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dri-Slide-4oz-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G]Amazon.com: Bike Aid Dri-Slide 4oz. Lube with Needle Nozzle: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Comes with a skinny metal needle that you just squirt into the cable.

Bob

Y

yellowfz

Good idea I have a old syringe that I use to grease sealed bearings with , old trick . :thumbup:

redwing-2001

ordered from Travis and tried it out on the 6R. Noticible difference right away on the clutch pull. Great product.

Spunky99

Qadaffi could have used some of that lube Oct 20.......jus sayin...

I'm ready to order some more....

qdfrancis

How do you lube the throttle cables? I did the clutch cable easily but how do I lube the throttle cables properly. Thank you.