Premium Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

Its amazing to me they had to conduct a study to realize this lol. Just drive on the freeway a few times. i pretty much do exactly what they recommend but was doing it before they recommended it. Its called common sense and im surprised their suggestion follows it. Basically if traffic is flowing decent, say 30 mph or so i just dont do it. When traffic is stop and go or going 5 -20 mph there usually no room for anyone to get over because of other cars. When traffic starts picking up thats when there is enough room for cars to start making quick lane changes. I also do not go screaming between stopped cars at 50 mph as i see a lot of people do when im in my car. I bet if you removed stupidity and speeding from crash statistics both car and motorcycle you would not see much left.

FastFreddy

In Sydney, they've allowed this now with a new law since April or so.
You can only do it if the traffic is stopped or below 30 km/h though.

I basically only do this at red lights. Except if there's a bus and truck side by side, and you can't make it all the way to the front, wow, the road ragers come out. "You cut in front of me" (therefore justifying nearly running me down the next block) "Yes its legal now" touche.

chrisnlb

lane splitting TV ad in California

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rTsEazcGwg"]CHP: Lane Splitting - Getting Home is a SHARED Responsibility - YouTube[/ame]

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SixRFixR

Buzzbomb puts the buzz kill on lane splitting. If we were in the business of being totally safe, we would also be in cages surrounded by air bags. I don't know how things are in Hartsville, but if you were trying to get around on LA freeways, you'd be splitting lanes, too! It's just too much advantage with little increase in risk. You control the level of risk with speed, where, when and circumstance. It's just not that bad. The vast majority of drivers edge over to one side to give you a little extra room.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

Buzzbomb puts the buzz kill on lane splitting. If we were in the business of being totally safe, we would also be in cages surrounded by air bags. I don't know how things are in Hartsville, but if you were trying to get around on LA freeways, you'd be splitting lanes, too! It's just too much advantage with little increase in risk. You control the level of risk with speed, where, when and circumstance. It's just not that bad. The vast majority of drivers edge over to one side to give you a little extra room.
Agreed, and again its just about using common sense. Is it "safer"? i doubt it, is it more dangerous? if your smart i dont think so.

Given what I have seen of SoCal traffic on the many times visiting relatives, you're generally as safe lane splitting as sitting in the stop and go traffic with everyone on their cell phones crooked in their neck while eating a Big Mac with one hand and drinking the soda with the other and reading the news paper draped over the steering wheel as they steer with their knees. It's either risk getting creamed between doors lane splitting or getting creamed between bumpers sitting like everyone else.

That said, I don't know how you guys do it. I hated the few times I had to drive down there, and I was just around the San Fernando and Semi Valleys at those times. Everyone gets stopped up on the freeway, so they get off on the arterials then clog them up, so they get off on the side-streets and clog those. It's truly a grid lock anywhere within a few blocks of main roadways.
Amen to all that. I live in the san fernando valley and your right. A lot of people are not paying attention and care only about themselves and think you are lucky they let you on their road. Anyway bottom line IMO is its as safe as riding a motorcycle in general (as stated above if safety was our #1 concern we would not ride at all) and if done smartly not a problem.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

It's just my opinion, ya'll. Yes, a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. It just seems like lane splitting simply increases the inherent danger. I'm down on that. Lots and lots of Youtube videos where the practice ends in woe.

No, traffic is not an issue in Hartsville, SC. Rush hour means you have to wait a couple lights when downtown. There is no comparison.

If I'm not mistaken, Cali is the the only State where it is legal. If not, it's one of very few. Why is that? Is there no traffic in other states? Maybe everyone else in every other State just isn't as smart as the Californians? Maybe Californians are the nicest drivers around and so minimize the danger?

Once again, this is my opinion. But I think it's inherently dangerous to a point that it is asking for trouble. You can of course do as you will. My opinion stands.
LOL everyone is entitled to their opinion and your viewpoint is certainly shared by others. In fact i used to be one of them. After a while i got tired of seeing guys go buy me while i was waiting with the cars so i decided to try and have learned over time what i personally feel is safe and whats not. I started out doing it at red lights where no one is moving and then eventually to the freeway when its dead stopped.

Ca is the only state that allows it, why? i have not really a clue. Obviously we have more cars and motorcycles on the road than any other state it may just be an effort to help traffic. We take any little help we can get there lol. I do think California drivers are used to it. If i see a guy with out of state plates im even more careful because i know he isnt prepared for it.

D52

I glanced over the study, certainly interesting results, but I'm not really surprised. I will say this startled me the first few times it happened when I visited CA several years ago... (wasn't riding at the time and the rental company could have at least given me a heads up this was legal) so I understand their emphasis on awareness with the ads and billboards etc. I see both sides of the issue, but wouldn't mind it coming to other states. If nothing else, it gives motorcyclists another tool in our toolbox, if you will. Situation too dangerous and/or not comfortable using it? Don't use it. I'm not going to judge. But it's there if the need arises.

I personally would be hesitant to use it if it came to PA and the greater Pittsburgh area if for no other reason than I would lose my ability to maneuver around potholes!

Fizzer6R

just think, it *only* took 1 year and 2.5mil. to find out more speed = more danger :rolleyes:

Fizzer6R

Is motorcycle "lane splitting" safe or dangerous?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8G-Hh2wmz0]YouTube - CBS News[/ame]

D52

just think, it *only* took 1 year and 2.5mil. to find out more speed = more danger :rolleyes:
I thought that was cheap by California standards... :D

Detrich

The researchers interviewed us for the study at Jay's Shell off ACH. They asked very objective questions and seemed fair. I'm happy that I got to participate in it and hope CA continues allowing us to split. Otherwise we would die from heat exhaustion on hot summer days.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626042.817587.jpg

latony007

The researchers interviewed us for the study at Jay's Shell off ACH. They asked very objective questions and seemed fair. I'm happy that I got to participate in it and hope CA continues allowing us to split. Otherwise we would die from heat exhaustion on hot summer days.

View attachment 33098
This has some good numbers in it. Makes me feel actually a little better about it since i do follow the guide lines. I saw a guy today who wasnt going too fast but was on a mega goldwing which are super wide and at low speeds those things are pigs. I like splitting on my fz6r much better than my cruiser which is also pigish at low speeds so i think id draw the line at goldwing lol

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member