My throttle...

Rookasaki

So I had just picked up my bike from the shop. Got a new chain etc.. I hit the freeway cruz'n home. While riding I sometimes like to twist the throttle wide open for a few seconds then quickly let off. I then like to take my hands off the bars and rest them on my tank. Kinda a "no hands" type of coasting. Don't ask me why, I just do... When letting off the throttle I always brace for engine breaking etc...

So, I let off the throttle and quickly grab my tank. (anticipating engine breaking) and relax my upper body... Well, it only took me a second to realize that I was still accelerating hard. It threw me back and gave me a big jolt , scared the hell out of me. You can't really hold onto the tank! So I regain my composure and grab my throttle and slow down... At this point I had no idea what the heck happened. So I open up the throttle wide again for a few seconds and let off. This time holding onto the bars... Again My bike was still accelerating! I thought, WTF! is going on. I look down and see this.

My damn grip had slid over causing my throttle to stick! Just be careful out there. You all know how I ride.. Even doing a
pre-ride inspection of the bike doesn't mean $hit can't happen when riding. Just wanted to share.

Detrich

I'm too scared to ride no hands, but good thing u caught it in time :)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Glad you caught it bro!!! Scary stuff.

Spunky99

I also like to let off the throttle and go no hands while coming to a stop. I let the engine braking do most of the work while I sit up and have my hands free for a few seconds.

When you are riding "The Snake" or any very technical twisty, you are hanging off the bike and if a grip slips it could mean a crash. You also have to be extremely precise on the throttle or you might lose the front or rear in the turns if you are really pushing it.

I went old skool on my bike. Denatured alcohol on the throttle and clip on on the left to clean thoroughly and then I ran some down into the grips to get them wet so I could get them on. Then I used stainless steel safety wire to make absolutely sure they wouldn't be able to slip. No stupid glue to come loose or get hot in the sun...just a nice sticky rubber grip on a clean throttle and clip on with safety wire.

FZ6R_Mike

I use ODI lock grips on my LTR450 quad and love them. Do they make them for twist throttle? Never looked into it until reading this. Might check on it right now.

FZ6R_Mike

CrazyCawi

I also like to let off the throttle and go no hands while coming to a stop. I let the engine braking do most of the work while I sit up and have my hands free for a few seconds.

When you are riding "The Snake" or any very technical twisty, you are hanging off the bike and if a grip slips it could mean a crash. You also have to be extremely precise on the throttle or you might lose the front or rear in the turns if you are really pushing it.

I went old skool on my bike. Denatured alcohol on the throttle and clip on on the left to clean thoroughly and then I ran some down into the grips to get them wet so I could get them on. Then I used stainless steel safety wire to make absolutely sure they wouldn't be able to slip. No stupid glue to come loose or get hot in the sun...just a nice sticky rubber grip on a clean throttle and clip on with safety wire.

I thought you had the d3's....

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Mine sticks too, but I attribute that to my Vista cruise control..... :troll:

KeysRider3

So I had just picked up my bike from the shop. Got a new chain etc.. I hit the freeway cruz'n home. While riding I sometimes like to twist the throttle wide open for a few seconds then quickly let off. I then like to take my hands off the bars and rest them on my tank. Kinda a "no hands" type of coasting. Don't ask me why, I just do... When letting off the throttle I always brace for engine breaking etc...

So, I let off the throttle and quickly grab my tank. (anticipating engine breaking) and relax my upper body... Well, it only took me a second to realize that I was still accelerating hard. It threw me back and gave me a big jolt , scared the hell out of me. You can't really hold onto the tank! So I regain my composure and grab my throttle and slow down... At this point I had no idea what the heck happened. So I open up the throttle wide again for a few seconds and let off. This time holding onto the bars... Again My bike was still accelerating! I thought, WTF! is going on. I look down and see this.

My damn grip had slid over causing my throttle to stick! Just be careful out there. You all know how I ride.. Even doing a
pre-ride inspection of the bike doesn't mean $hit can't happen when riding. Just wanted to share.
Too cheap to spring for a Throttle Jockey? Maybe you can apply for a secondary patent!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Cheap cruise control! Seriously though, get some grip glue and after cleaning those up along with the throttle tube, give it a good coating and apply the grips. That's dangerous stuff to have a grip slipping.