My MT09

Mitch21

So earlier this year I traded in the 6r for the MT09 (FZ09). I am loving it and have put a fair few kms on her now. Such a fun bike to ride around town and also through the hills. Have added a few modifications and this is how she sits at the moment with a couple pics exploring the Adelalaide hills.

Mods:
Horn Relocation
Black Levers
Infinite Performance Radiator Guard
Yamaha Fender Eliminator
LED Headlights and Auxiliary Lights
Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust

Bert-Aus

Nice ride Mitch!
She is lookin purdy

Are you interested in going for a ride this Saturday?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Mitch21

Nice ride Mitch!
She is lookin purdy

Are you interested in going for a ride this Saturday?

Sorry mate, I am working this weekend. Next time.

Don't test ride the 09... its a curse! You will live the rest of your life very unhappy, unless you buy your own. [emoji23]
Have to agree 100%

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Mitch21

Awesome looking bike!
Thanks mate, at first I was devastated that we didn't get the black frame & gold forks that you guys get but I think the silver, black and blurple work well and it grow on you.

luke1088

I test road an MT-09 in May and found it quite weired to ride after riding my XJ6N. But the power WOW i was like a fat kid locked in a cake shop. Crazy torque. I didn't like the riding position at first, but i suppose i would get use to it. Sweet looking bike though mate - im a bit jealous.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

luke1088

I swap the handlebars for ProTapper Carmichael, much better. Like 1 1/2" lower.
Yeah that would make sense . The stock ones felt high on the bar-ends and felt as though they were dipping in rather that flat or dipping out like the XJ6. Come to think of it now... after you say that.... Just changing the bars would it a way better ride. In my opinion.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Marthy, Is your instrument panel offset to the right? Or are they all like that?

JSP

Super Moderator
Marthy, Is your instrument panel offset to the right? Or are they all like that?

They are all like that. I think you can flip a bracket or something and get it more centered...

Mitch21

1/2" to 3/4" clearance depending how you position them. Need new bar ends and you need to spread the brake lever a bit to go over the knurled part if the handlebars or file down the handlebars a bit. It's a better sporty position and feel less wind psi on your chest.
Awesome, I'll have to look into it. Been following your thread on the other forum but must of missed this.

Mitch21

I believe its for a tank bag, I think. Have seen others around and that's what I thought they were for.

Mitch21

So barely a week after I boast about my new bike, i decided to go out for a little ride just to get out of the house on my day off. Ended up in the small foot hills and was riding at about 50% basically just cruising around thinking about other things in the winter sun down here in aus. This is when a steep off camber downhill left hander caught me off guard with water running across the road. Long story short, I locked the rear over the water, regained it then leant over to make the turn, but due to the lock up and how steep it was i was going to run wide. So I stood it up, jumped on the brakes and ended up on the dirt on the other side of the road where it went over. Not very fast maybe 20-30kph or 15mph but there was a little damage on the right hand side. I got up full of adrenalin, picked the bike up dusted it off, started her up, and rode on home with my head down and tail between my legs.

List of damage starting from the top
Scratched RH bar end
Scratched RH mirror
Small scratch in RH air scoop
Radiator cap scratched
Couple of scratches on the frame behind the radiator
Engine Casing i think, the bronze part with CP3 on it bad, badly scratched
Broken rear brake lever
The new $800 akra exhaust scratched at the tip of can which then got pushed in and marked the swing arm

For me ended up with a greater tuberosity fracture on my right arm. Basically where the muscle attaches to the top arm bone in your shoulder has fractured a part of the bone away from the main bone. i landed on my right arm and shoulder and being in the dirt I just dug in and stopped rather than sliding on the road. 2-3 week down time, not to bad.

I was wearing all my gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, Kevlar pants, boots etc ended up being pretty lucky.

The main thing i learnt was although some of us use the bike to get away from the daily grind, at the end of the day your still riding a bike and that needs 100% of your concentration. Especially when in the twisties. i believe that if i were going for a more spirited ride i would have been fine but because i was just cruising and not taking that much attention to the dangers ahead, that's why i find myself in the position i am in now. So i live and learn. Its my first accident and although my ego has been crushed, im relatively fine but mostly devasted about the bike.

Will update with pictures of damage when i feel like being depressed and looking at the bike. lol

P.S Im not looking for sympathy etc im just updating my thread on my bike and if it helps another not make the same mistake i did, my jobs done.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member