My first accident...rear ended by soccer mom

SLC

A few days ago I went to my local post office on my bike. As I was leaving I had to wait in the break in the median to turn left. There was traffic coming (Including a cop) so I had to wait. As I am waiting I look back to see a lady in a white car coming from the PO and I figured she would get next to me and block my view. Not the case. She tried to drive over me. I went down, the bike went down, and the cop pulled a quick U-turn. Luckily there was an ambulance coming up the street too. My stupid self had no gear on so I was scooped up by the EMT's and taken to the nearest Trauma center a town over. I have no serious injuries but I wish I could say the same for the bike. I was quoted $1500.00 in cosmetic parts alone. She said she didn't see me. I guess she wasn't paying attention to my blinker and brake light. To make matters worse my wife is her boss.

Thank God I am alive. Thank God for pain medication, Thank God for my lawyer...and last but not least...thank God there wasn't anyone coming in the lane closest to me or I would have been pothole filler.

I'm done riding. For those who throw a leg over, get great insurance and great gear. Don't be an idiot like me.

Heineken

Elite Member

tractorboy

Glad your ok dude...but man..again..thats my biggest fear....they wont see me stopped!

Decided after reading about the other that this happened to not too long ago to get a flasher but if a driver is dumb they are dumb...and if they are not paying attention..nothing will GET their attention.....

Hope to decided to give riding a try again!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

bjpinub

I really hate to hear about your accident, but as other user's have mentioned, at least you are alright. It is so unfortunate that people are injured/killed because inattentive drivers. It is also a shame that because of someone else, your joy/thrill of riding has all but been eliminated.

Anyways, I am glad you are alright.

ramflyer1899

Sad thing, they've only charged the guy with reckless driving, with "It’s still an active case, with an ongoing investigation"... guess they can't decide whether to charge with voluntary or involuntary manslaughter.

Motorcyclist Killed in Leesburg Collision | Loudoun Independent
I don't get that...it was an accident. If the driver was drinking or whatever that would be different.

I always have my eye in the mirror when stopped, at least until there is at least one car stopped behind me.

RIP

Detrich

am so sorry to hear about your accident :( but, at least you were not badly hurt. and, $1,500 in repairs is honestly not that bad- since her insurance will cover it.

sadly, statistically, most vehicle accidents happen very close to home- be it in a car or motorcycle... i got tapped on the wheel from behind already too not far from my house- while waiting to make a right turn. and, it happened to my co-worker just last week too when he was riding around his block. we both did nothing wrong. it's just that drivers are completely absent minded and not looking out for us. so we need to learn from these experiences, and learn how to better prevent this from happening.

i've already learned to tap my brakes so they flash, and to watch my mirrors more attentively while at stop lights or stop signs- above and beyond what i previously thought was safe.

don't let this get you down man... accidents will happen, and the good thing is you are ok. it reminds all of us that every single time we are on the bike and in traffic we are all at risk. we just have to manage that risk as best we can... the minute we start thinking, "ah, it's just a quick run to the store," or "it's just a few blocks away," we let our guard down a bit. and, that can be dangerous.

every time we ride we should have all our gear on, be mentally alert/ awake, and be in the right mindset to ride. otherwise, just hop in the car to run the errand instead. it's all or nothing every time.

cheer up and heal up man! we are all pulling for ya! :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

A few days ago I went to my local post office on my bike. As I was leaving I had to wait in the break in the median to turn left. There was traffic coming (Including a cop) so I had to wait. As I am waiting I look back to see a lady in a white car coming from the PO and I figured she would get next to me and block my view. Not the case. She tried to drive over me. I went down, the bike went down, and the cop pulled a quick U-turn. Luckily there was an ambulance coming up the street too. My stupid self had no gear on so I was scooped up by the EMT's and taken to the nearest Trauma center a town over. I have no serious injuries but I wish I could say the same for the bike. I was quoted $1500.00 in cosmetic parts alone. She said she didn't see me. I guess she wasn't paying attention to my blinker and brake light. To make matters worse my wife is her boss.

Thank God I am alive. Thank God for pain medication, Thank God for my lawyer...and last but not least...thank God there wasn't anyone coming in the lane closest to me or I would have been pothole filler.

I'm done riding. For those who throw a leg over, get great insurance and great gear. Don't be an idiot like me.
Maybe it was on purpose because your wife (her boss) did something to make her angry.

Jokes aside... thank god you're okay.

vitrox

i'm amazed a small accident like this will cause you to quit riding all together. I've crashed before, while racing. I fixed the bike and 2 weeks later I was out there again. At first I was a bit gun shy of the corner I crashed in, but now I'm even faster. Learn from your mistakes and don't let them hold you back.

quick reminder from msf class, flash your brake light while stopped, that way cagers will notice you.

SLC

Thank you all for the well wishes. My bike is in worse shape than me.

My decision to stop riding did not come from just this incident. Please understand that where I live there is an extremely large number of retired folks that either can not see or just do not care. The lady that hit me was in her 60's and she "didn't see me."

I'm keeping my gear just in case I get the itch to ride again.

ksanbon

The lady that hit me was in her 60's and she "didn't see me."
You have my sympathy and I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse.

If you decide to ride again, I suggest wearing obnoxiously bright colors. Black and white blend too easily into the background. My bright yellow jacket has proven to have much higher visibility than most colors, including red.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

jay

i am glad that you made out alive w/ minor injuries.. i understand your frustration coz it was not your mistake to be in front of a careless driver, but only if life was fair... it would have been a perfect world.. my uncle was in his van when he got rear ended .... however he deserved it j/k lol.... but i see it allot allmost everyday when i am returning from my office (crazy beltway traffic) and it's scary , if they can't see a stopped car how will they see a motorcycle.. so don't wanna judge you if you don't feel like riding anymore..

SLC

My bike is black and I Was wearing a black T-shirt in the middle of the day. I have started rebuilding her today.

The insurance cut me a check for $3500 and I will be fixing it myself. Some parts do not have to be replaced so the money I am saving I will put towards the fender eliminator I want and a couple other custom items. I have not committed to riding again but I think I will hold on to my bike so shits and giggles.

:thumbup:

Detrich

w00t congrats

=)