Motorcyclist gets neck sliced by string.

iSpoolin

A motorcyclist was rushed to a Toronto hospital in serious condition after slicing his neck on a piece of string strung across a road on Sunday.
The 26-year-old motorcyclist was riding in the Warden Avenue and St. Clair Avenue area at about 4 p.m. when he rode into the string.
A bystander called for help and the motorcyclist was rushed to St. Michael’s Hospital with serious injuries.
Police say they are not sure whether the string was placed across the road intentionally.
Toronto Police Staff Sgt. Mike Gogttschalk said there were reports of kite flyers using the area for "kite fights" — competitions in which one kite flyer tries to take down an opponent's kite.
"There are people who are flying kites in that area and it is plausible that the kite string could have gone across and landed in such a position to injure a person on a motorcycle," said Gogttschalk.
The incident is being treated as accidental, but a criminal investigation is underway.

I copy and pasted the whole article, but here is the link: Motorcyclist's neck cut by string - Yahoo! News

gregarmer

I'm not sure how much merit there is to this but one of the guys in my MSF BRC was telling our group about these kite fights.

Apparently they smash fluorescent tubes and crush up the extremely sharp glass shards into a powder, then epoxy them along the kite strings to make it easier to slice an opponents line, should the lines cross.

Sounds rather dangerous if that line lands across a road. :surrender:

rr_double_rr

I was wondering how simple kite string did this, the glass explanation makes sense. In Iraq, the insurgents used piano wire from bridges to try and get ours, and even then it didn't always work and would only leave a nasty cut.

stuna

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NTUgyNNPo&feature=related]the best fake rope trick - YouTube[/ame]

Lefty

Michael Wilson

this happens all the time in off road endro racing. Not accidental though :(

kevin8198

Elite Member

porky45

I was wondering how simple kite string did this, the glass explanation makes sense. In Iraq, the insurgents used piano wire from bridges to try and get ours, and even then it didn't always work and would only leave a nasty cut.
The strings on a stunt kite are sharp enough to cut skin by themselves. Hell, they can cut other stunt kites strings very easily . No glass needed.

XTRAWLD

The guy that got his neck cut is on a local forum I'm on. He needed 14 staples to close the wound. It had cut a vein that branched off just from his jugular. Incredibly lucky. He had slowed for what he thought was a speed trap a little ways ahead and scrubbed 10km/h off his speed before hitting that, unbeknown to him, line. Without that speed decrease, who knows how much worse it could have been.

Police are still investigating and haven't determined if it is a prank or not. What sicko would tie it to a pole?!

Osoreru

I'm not sure how much merit there is to this but one of the guys in my MSF BRC was telling our group about these kite fights.

Apparently they smash fluorescent tubes and crush up the extremely sharp glass shards into a powder, then epoxy them along the kite strings to make it easier to slice an opponents line, should the lines cross.

Sounds rather dangerous if that line lands across a road. :surrender:
That right there is freaking nuts. If that's really what they're doing, it should very well be illegal to have them anywhere near a roadway or any populated area.