Motorcycle Lift for FZ6R?

CrazyCanuck

Does anyone use a lift? Just got a used FZ today and want to clean up the chain.

Can you put weight on the muffler? Doesn't sound like a good idea?

Gord

TDL2024

I've been using a cheap Harbor Freight rear stand. Was a bit wary at first, but for the last 2 weeks of off and on usage it seems to be fine. Cost ~$30. When I had to install the lowering link I used a combo of that stand, plus wood planks and a jack under the headers/exhaust. That was a bit more sketchy (had to have a roommate hold the bike to make sure it didn't sway), but it seems like the headers can support the weight for brief periods of time at least.

TL;DR for chain adjustments I'd just get a rear stand of some sort.

When I had my chain replaced last the dealer used a 2X4 and scissor jack under the muffler to pick it up. I use the harbor freight rear stand though.

BluePill

I use an auto jack with 2x4's

Very solid, quick to set up, no exhaust damage.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

Supahtim

Holy you guys... No, the muffler is not a good place to lift your bike from. Just get a rear stand and lift from the swing arm. Venom stands are cheap and work fine for maintenance. My rear stand collapsed from the weight of the bike during winter storage though. Front has held up fine.

Centre stand is available through twistedtrottle.ca or Yamaha. That would be a better (imo) but more expensive route. The centre stand was a main selling feature for me when I was looking for a new bike.

Chucker

Does anyone use a lift? Just got a used FZ today and want to clean up the chain.

Can you put weight on the muffler? Doesn't sound like a good idea?

Gord
Check out Royal Distributing in Guelph. You can get a good stand there for not much $. I got a swingarm stand and a triple tree stand from them. The T-Rex spool adapters are a good upgrade if you want the ease of use and stability of spools.

Blue Streak Racing in Embro has a really good lift for sportbikes, but you'll pay dearly for it.