MotoGP today (Spoiler Alert!!!!)

FastFreddy

I was hoping Cal would stay at monster.
Dovi doesn't need to prove anything, I think they've tweaked the rear frame stiffness, but the front end is still a step back judging from the onboard.
This is looking to be a good year, its good to see Marquez making it to the party, if he can keep up til the final laps, he'll get a rush of blood for sure.

Rookasaki

Lorenzo continues to be from another planet. No one came close to taking first. Rossi just proved to Ducati that their machines truly suck. Good race from the rookie, 3rd place is amazing for his first GP race.

Fizzer6R

kick ass race... great start to the year!

ajskillz13

What a race! I must say the coolest moment was Lorenzo looking back after he crossed the line and pumping his fist when he realized Rossi was bringing home second for the sweep. Stoner would never have had that type of reaction. Jorge is cocky for sure, but he gets it and is a respectful rider. This is going to be a GREAT season! Love the fight from Marquez!!!

Really wish I could get to Austin in two weeks. I guess I'll just have to wait until Indy.

kvc25

Sick race to start the season! Those overtakes on the last few laps were insane. Can't wait for the next one. Gonna be one hell of a season

JonKerr

Elite Member

Rookasaki

It's definitely going to be another Yamaha vs Honda year. Unlike last year we now have 4 solid riders all competing for the #1 plate. Might as well put a CRT sticker on the Ducati's, as it seems to be yet another disappointing year.

FastFreddy

The race was on too late at night here, 2-3am etc. I'm going into MotoGP withdrawals, my throttle hand is shaking.

I've had a couple of beers and I've worked out Ducati's problems.
1. Increase stiffness near swingarm attachment point, you can see the thing wobbling too much compared to other bikes.
2. Raise the engine in the frame slightly, the centre of gravity is out of whack, hence the whacky front end fork settings, all tall and weird looking.
3. Lower the headstock to look more like a normal bike with normal geometry. Basically steps 2 and 3 require a new airbox and associated component redesign.

FastFreddy

I suppose you'd have to recast the block too seeing as the swingarm attachs to that. They make the block moulds out of sand, but the interior pieces use 3D printed sand pieces now. C'mon Audi, easy peasy problem to fix for 24 hour LeMans guys.

Fizzer6R

new kid on the block is fast(est)

Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team Honda 2:03.021
2 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team Honda 2:03.275
3 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 2:04.100
4 Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 2:04.267
5 Stefan Bradl LCR Honda Honda 2:04.445
6 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team Ducati 2:04.873
7 Alvaro Bautista Go&Fun Honda Gresini Honda 2:04.942
8 Valentino Rossi Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 2:05:380
9 Aleix Espargaro Power Electronics Aspar ART 2:05.389
10 Nicky Hayden Ducati Team Ducati 2:05.568
11 Bradley Smith Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 2:06.740
12 Ben Spies Ignite Pramac Racing Ducati 2:07.044

Bruno

Aren't you guys watching motogp anymore? Last race in Jerez was amazing and polemic, with a move from Marc Marquez on Jorge Lorenzo on last corner of the last lap... Has anyone else seen it? Do you think MM should be punished for it?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

In this level racing, I think there's always gonna be some very aggressive overtaking and moves. Fortunate for him, Marquez didn't force Lorenzo to crash. That's prolly the only thing that saved his 20-year old *** from getting penalized/ censured.

That said, Lorenzo admitted post mortem that he left a small gap b'cuz he didn't think Marquez was that close behind. He won't make that mistake ever again I imagine.

BKP

Well... then I guess it's settled...

REPSOL is the fastest color...

Bert-Aus

I am watching. Closely. Im kind of torn. I like Marquez. But that was a dirty move. As a racer myself and a rider, i think he should be penalized. HOWEVER I dont think he should be penalized simply because they didnt penalize Rossi for the EXACT same move in the same turn on Sete Gibinaou (im sure thats spelled wrong) a number of years back. They set a standard and need to stick to it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
That was a great race to watch,

However Marquez IMHO was faster from lap 5/6(? cant remember exactly) he looked like he was itching to get around him bout 4 corners every lap but Lorenzo kept closing him out, it was so obvious Lorenzo was lapping slower.

Given it looked like Lorenzo was coming close to loosing the front end a few times, but he kept it together...and unfortunately that meant slower than Marquez.

How many times did Marquez stick his nose in underneath to have have it almost knocked off?

Not saying it was dirty racing on either part, but def aggressive riding on Marquez part and somewhat arrogant of Lorenzo.

It just happened that the last run Lorenzo didn't close the door early enough to block Marquez, that is how I saw it.

Great race and will def steam things up for next few rounds esp with Pedrosa getting up on the board!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Fair enough, but "plowing into him" was hardly the case it looked more like Lorenzo trying to close him out without looking, as Marquez had commited to slipping inside on the FINAL corner of the race! That is the sort of stuff Rossi made his long reign upon! Anyone ese in that position woul have given a similar situation would have given it a shot too.

it is lucky on both parts that it was only a side bump and not a shunt...

Bruno

Marquez obviously made a wrong move... I think if he hadn't contacted Lorenzo, he would go to the gravel by himself... He was too fast to get the inside line, he braked too late and leaned the bike too late either... If you pay attention, you can see Lorenzo waiting quite a long time for Marquez to lean the bike so he could do the same...