More tire pressure questions.

locwan

Just browsed through threads that discussed tire pressure. It's known that that Yamaha is recommending 33psi front and 36psi rear for rider weighing 198lbs and below, and 36psi front and 42psi rear for riders weighting over 198lbs.. but.....

Anyone ever questioned why there's such a big jump between the recommended pressures?? I weigh about 200lbs with gear on, does the extra 2lbs magically means the bike should run 3 and 6psi more on the tires??

What i'm trying to say is that there doesn't seem to be a progressive scale for weight vs psi... I'm hoping people in the know can chip in here..

dirklay

I like it a little harder up front (that's what she said.) I run 40 psi up front and 42 on ther rear, and weigh 220 plus gear. Any less than that up front feels wobbly and unsafe.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Fizzer6R

it might just be the bike makers covering their asses for potential law suits. I think they all put similar recommendations for weight and tire pressure.

more importantly is how it feels to you, don't use just the #. some like it harder (that's what she said), and some softer.

some use what they call a 10% rule. so whatever your base is cold, you go out and get the tires hot, come back and take pressure and the difference shouldn't be more/less than 10%. either way and they recommend increase or decrease the pressure to go up/down within those limits for max. tire performance.

others say a max. of pressure increase should be 5-7 psi from cold to hot. - just a general guide as bikes, weights, tires, riding styles all vary so much

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

locwan

During the spring months when temperatures were cooler, I had the front/back at 33/36 psi and felt the bike responded just fine. As the days got warmer, my back tire felt like it was squirming at even 70 to 80km/h on the on-ramp.

This past day I had the front/back increased to 34/38 psi.. and it felt alright again.. although I hate using this whatever "feels" ok method of gauging.. never know if the tire's are being used like they were designed to...

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

OffTheClock

I just change tires from Conti Motion to PR2. I used F40/R42 for the last 8-9K miles and it work fine. I started with the same pressure with the PR2, not working at all. Tires have different spring rate and pressure might be different from one tire to another. So I bleed them down to F33/R39 and start from there...

One more thing. I've been using a cheap gauge from Autopart store cause my good one has a strait hose, 45 degree is better to reach. Well, make sure to double check your gauge once in a while. My gauge was 4 psi off... junk! I got another one now...

That mean I was at F44/R46... not so good, good thing I felt something was wrong right away...
Marthy,
How you finding those PR2's? I am having them installed tomorrow as I have only heard good reports but value your opinion so if you see this before then, let me know.

Safe Riding!

Spunky99

I guess it depends on the tires and the type of driving you do.
My bike weighs in at 493.8 wet and the FZ6R at 467 wet.

I weigh 205 + gear and have the tires at 36.5 and 39. I think I'll move the rear tire to 41 or 42 and see how that works. The front is fine up to 38 and stable but the rear feels like my NSR50R on the race track and that is not necessarily what I want on the street.
Tires are a bit different tho
120/70-ZR17 front the same as the FZ6R
190/50-ZR17 vs 160/60 ZR17
My rear tire has a rounder profile and without pushing it my chicken strips are narrower than what I had on the FZ6R.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

My tires don't seem to lose pressure much at all. I ride every weekend and I ck it cold. But, it's always the same? My mtn bike tires, on the other hand, go flat within a month or too tho- if I don't ride it. Weird. o_O

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

OffTheClock

I did the front ride height change. about 3mm lower, I'll try it at 5mm tomorrow. It did correct the handling problem and the bike front end handle great now.
I pick my bike up today and look forward to seeing how these PR2's handle. Once I get some mileage on them I will let you know my thoughts. Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member

OffTheClock

Well I have done around 500 miles on my PR2's, mostly freeway riding. I got to tell you what a difference in handling compared to the 016 I used too have. I am still playing with the tire pressure, I am 220lbs plus gear and am riding the front at 36.6 and the rear anywhere between 39 and 40. Seems to handle real well and so far very impressed.
The one thing i did notice is that there is a lot of "road noise" from the tires which i didnt hear from the previous ones.
Any comments as to the recommended pressure?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Alex6

Since I change my tires (Conti to PR2) my bike handle weird. I feel like I have the front end wobbling all the time pass 80 MPH. Not something I notice before the tire change. I accelerate hard yesterday merging on I95, I "accidently" hit the triple digits. (Those Speed3 are fast...) Not sure if it's a defect in the tire, or the tire is not balance properly, or my shock are shut and need to be rebuilt, or I'm just a wuss?

Any one have a "educated guess"?
My guess is tire balance is off. You should hope for that too, as it is an easy fix. :)