Middleweight Intermediate Sportbike Shootout: CBR650F v Ninja 650 ABS v FZ6R

jasper909

I watched it last night. Sounds like the FZ took the cake to me :cool: . I am a little shocked Honda put out such a buzzy engine though.

Chucker

It really says something when the exact same bike wins this class shootout in 2009 and 2014. The 2009 shootout was the reason I bought the FZ6R, but I must admit that, if I was looking today, I'd probably go with the CBR650F. I think it's close enough in performance, has more power, and I think it looks alot better. I believe if you make the same suspension changes on the CBR that I made with my FZ6R, the CBR might actually handle better, but surely at least as good. I just like the fact that it has that higher end finish and looks more like a supersport than the FZ6R does.

Having said all that, now that I've done all my mods to the FZ6R, I think it's just about perfect for my needs, and I still haven't spent as much as I would have on the CBR.

Bert-Aus

I think this is what you get when trying to lower the cost by outsourcing the assembly to Thailand. And to have the MSRP for non-ABS at $8500 ?! F#ck that.
Hate to break it to you but my XJ6S was built in Thailand, maybe read your VIN plate it may tell you different, but I doubt it

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

VRIIClubby

a "buzzy" engine is a design "flaw" and is not impacted by place of manufacture.:confused:

If the Honda was out when I got my FZ I would have more than likely purchased it, although its not LAMS in Aus and the other two are.

Very surprised the FZ won but very happy and couldnt agree more with remarks in the camparo!

Nmexico

Really surprised as I read the article saying the Ninja 650's motor was smoother than the Honda. I had the 14 Ninja 650 and that motor is really kind of old style thumping twin that feels at times hard to live it. You are not bouncing up and down but to me it felt too hard to deal with for long hours in the saddle. Its does feel like a stronger motor that the FZ6R with its better torque but the whole bike from the really strong engine braking, top heavy feel made it trade the bike in.

latony007

Hate to break it to you but my XJ6S was built in Thailand, maybe read your VIN plate it may tell you different, but I doubt it

I thought Yamaha was the only one left not outsourcing to Thailand or other locations?

Bert-Aus

I thought Yamaha was the only one left not outsourcing to Thailand or other locations?
Outsourcing or setting up shop in lower wage/ tax countries = greater profits + more share sales
More shares sold = greater capital for R&D so on & so forth

latony007

Outsourcing or setting up shop in lower wage/ tax countries = greater profits + more share sales
More shares sold = greater capital for R&D so on & so forth

im aware of the advantages, and disadvantages, of moving production to a lower wage country, however i thought Yamaha was the only one still producing their bikes in Japan where as Honda and Suzuki etc. had gone out of country?