Lowering the front end (step by step)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

abyss1406

just did it

I dropped it 1 and 6/8 of an inch. It feelsmore inline and sportier. Definetly awesome

bobby bo bonsin

I dropped it 1 and 6/8 of an inch. It feelsmore inline and sportier. Definetly awesome
Or 1and 3/4 lol.;)

Hello my real name is Adam.

abyss1406

yeah I figured as much, I was still in metric mode

DubiousDrummer

Nice write up DD
Thanks, JT. I've also removed that horn/cable bracket and used the zip-tie method. Gotta love it.
Sorry that the pictures are so big, but I'm not sure how to make them any smaller.
Still hope this post is helpful.

Maraque

Hi. I bought some woocraft clip ons and I need to do this to get them on.
I was just wondering if I needed to put some blue locktight on the screws that I screw back in and if so, how can I do it without the front completely droping to the floor.
Thanks!

fazer1

So I've read pretty much everywhere that once you loosen the top and bottom tree clamps that the bike will slide down pretty easily on the forks. Not mine. I've loosened both clamps and sat on the bike, didn't lower, I bounced on the bike, didn't lower.

In a case like this, is there an easier way to do this or will I have to remove the front wheel so I can push each fork up individually? I'm sure the clamps were loose enough too.

TDL2024

So I've read pretty much everywhere that once you loosen the top and bottom tree clamps that the bike will slide down pretty easily on the forks. Not mine. I've loosened both clamps and sat on the bike, didn't lower, I bounced on the bike, didn't lower.

In a case like this, is there an easier way to do this or will I have to remove the front wheel so I can push each fork up individually? I'm sure the clamps were loose enough too.
If you do one side at a time, the fork should push itself up through the trees. Might have to twist back and forth a bit with your hands, just don't loosen the clamps too much (like I did on the 2nd one) or it'll shoot too far through and then you'll have to MacGuyver a way to get it back down.

The first fork I followed instructions on one of the posts here that said just a slight turn to loosen the screws...the second fork seemed stuck so I went over a full revolution and and soon as I put any load on the forks (holding the front brake and pushing forward on the bars) that fork popped up and bottomed out on the bars...took a good 2hrs to find a solution to undo it (didn't have a garage to hang from).

Drennan57

If you do one side at a time, the fork should push itself up through the trees. Might have to twist back and forth a bit with your hands, just don't loosen the clamps too much (like I did on the 2nd one) or it'll shoot too far through and then you'll have to MacGuyver a way to get it back down.

The first fork I followed instructions on one of the posts here that said just a slight turn to loosen the screws...the second fork seemed stuck so I went over a full revolution and and soon as I put any load on the forks (holding the front brake and pushing forward on the bars) that fork popped up and bottomed out on the bars...took a good 2hrs to find a solution to undo it (didn't have a garage to hang from).
You don't need straps or any of that. A flat floor jack and done.

TDL2024

You don't need straps or any of that. A flat floor jack and done.
For what? Raising the forks or pushing them back down through the trees? When I raised them I didn't use straps...or a floor jack. Just loosened one at a time. When I had to drop the one that came too far through I ended up just using a scrap piece of wood (~1/2x2x6") and a large c-clamp to push it back down slowly. Wasn't too hard, took more time to look for the c-clamp and some scrap wood than it took for the whole process start to finish.

Rabiorrr

I thought I loved my bike before, but now I can't stop staring at it! I ended up accidentally dropping it all the way to the bars (about 2 1/8 in.) and it looks amazing, and rides equally as good. I just need to flip the bracket, I've hit it on my front tire hugger a couple times on bug bumps. I may have the local shop raise it back up a half inch just to be safe, but for now it's beautiful.

Chris12

I'm interested in lowering the front with the goal of reducing the "top heavy" feel it has in turns.

Just read through this thread and another related thread - http://www.600cc.org/forum/f16/suggestions-info-lowering-new-forum-30245/?highlight=Lowering

I am 6' and can easily stand over the bike so I am concerned about over doing it.

Can anyone with a similar height that has done this mod, recommend a nice safe starting point?

Has anyone had any problems or regrets?

I realize that it's possible to raise the bike back to stock height if needed, but it's always nice to hear from others first.

Thanks!