Low speed turn with a bump

vkamnev

I hate when I have to deal with it, and actually dropped the bike once (very first day when I bought my 6r, good thing no scratches or any visible damage, though front left blinker is not as stiff seating as right one). As well I saw other guys in exactly same situation - bike on the ground just before sidewalk.

I am talking more of a situations like leaving or entering parking lots/driveways etc. when speed is like 5-10 km/h (3-6 mph). I can hold it straight and turn on even surfaces, even gravel. But is something like bump on a way, I stop and with two legs on a ground and with little clutch just walk over. Ashamed? yes. Safe? not so much, as if I need to stop suddenly, front brake is to fast and rear is out of reach.

And I have to deal with it daily as I come to work and back home.

What's the best way of handling such situation?

I just started riding last summer and riding season is quite short here, so very little experiece

vengeance44

dont know what u mean about a bump but if ur signal is loose on one side its because theres a little plastic backplate hanging on the wire just reattach the signal to it and then poof no more lose signal

redwing-2001

I hate when I have to deal with it, and actually dropped the bike once (very first day when I bought my 6r, good thing no scratches or any visible damage, though front left blinker is not as stiff seating as right one). As well I saw other guys in exactly same situation - bike on the ground just before sidewalk.

I am talking more of a situations like leaving or entering parking lots/driveways etc. when speed is like 5-10 km/h (3-6 mph). I can hold it straight and turn on even surfaces, even gravel. But is something like bump on a way, I stop and with two legs on a ground and with little clutch just walk over. Ashamed? yes. Safe? not so much, as if I need to stop suddenly, front brake is to fast and rear is out of reach.

And I have to deal with it daily as I come to work and back home.

What's the best way of handling such situation?

I just started riding last summer and riding season is quite short here, so very little experiece
sounds like you already figured out the best way for now. keeping your feet on the ground until you are stable enough to proceed is fine. You mentioned front brake is "too fast" - learn to smooth that out a bit - squeeze if you need it, don't grab. And... look ahead, not down.

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

FazerWest

i dunno if its the same thing, but im afraid of going down my steep driveway with speed of any kind, so i leave the bike off, get on the bike, and gently ride the break and walk my bike down the driveway and when i get to the end where i know i cant flat foot it at the hump part, i go really slow over it and have one foot on the curb and keep my foot flat on the curb until my other foot is flat beyond the curb, then i turn my bike on, im just worries about dropping it cause i know most people drop their bikes in driveways, or at stop signs, ect...i look totally retarded im sure, and it takes about 1 minute to get down the driveway lol but to me better safe than sorry!

ajskillz13

Keep practicing... and stop worrying. You need to relax a bit more on the bike and realize that it can do way more than you give it credit for. I deal with a bump that can kick my front tire out coming into our work driveway. You just have to trust that the tire will hook back up and relax and let it do the work. Obviously, if there is some loose gravel / sand after the bump, it becomes a bit more difficult. Those times before they repaved were the only nervous moments for me.

Just slow down (but not as much as you are now), create a more direct angle and trust it. If you are that nervous about this, you'd better take a weekend to go find spots like this that have no traffic around and repeatedly practice. You'll never be handle an emergency situation (hopping a stick etc.) if you're so nervous.

Good luck!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

vkamnev

Just took a picture of exact place where I struggle. Bump isn't big, but steep

P.S. will fix first message tonight

Attachments

Brock Kickass

I usually try to square those off as much as I can. Almost make it 2 different turns. If it was me (and I don't claim to be THE authority on motorcycling, just MHO) I'd come at it from as wide as possible, cut hard across the lane and square up just before the bump. Once my front tire clears, initiate the next part of the turn. I wouldn't even begin the first part of the turn until I was past the mailbox, and I would try to be as close to 90 degrees as possible by the curb.

Spunky99

Just took a picture of exact place where I struggle. Bump isn't big, but steep

P.S. will fix first message tonight
Looks like you are doing it perfect. square it on the way in and don't worry about it.

RooKie

Here's how I would approach it:

Like others have said, squaring off is the easiest way. Also remember to approach and follow through with confidence in your machine. It'll help your riding and the ladies love it :cool:

Attachments

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Keep practicing... and stop worrying. You need to relax a bit more on the bike and realize that it can do way more than you give it credit for. I deal with a bump that can kick my front tire out coming into our work driveway. You just have to trust that the tire will hook back up and relax and let it do the work. Obviously, if there is some loose gravel / sand after the bump, it becomes a bit more difficult. Those times before they repaved were the only nervous moments for me.

Just slow down (but not as much as you are now), create a more direct angle and trust it. If you are that nervous about this, you'd better take a weekend to go find spots like this that have no traffic around and repeatedly practice. You'll never be handle an emergency situation (hopping a stick etc.) if you're so nervous.

Good luck!
I agree with this and what most others said. I'd check traffic, swing out wide left and come back right so you can hit that sucker perpendicularly. And confidence building is key. The more confident you are, the less likely you are to screw up. :D (Minus being overconfident)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

vkamnev

thanks for the advices. i'll try one tomorrow (perpendicular) and the day after tomorrow (green line scheme).

though, due o lens effect it does not appear much less radius turn in the end as it. I'll try my best this week and if it won't work I found a much better place to park.

P.S. at my home i do it without much problem and paying much attention anymore, but I have a little more room there as turning left and crossing oncoming lane and going straight afterwards gives some essential space.

Going to hit training lot this weekend once again and practice-practice-practice. (Note to myself: get good riding pants and frame sliders)

P.P.S. sorry, no fixing my posts. came too late home and too tired.

Detrich

Agree with what everyone has suggested already. That turn is difficult for a few reasons: it's 3/4 of a u-turn, there's a bump at the edge, and it's a narrow parking spot...

Will just add that you'll want approach from the outside of the rightmost lane, slow and down shift into first before approaching the turn, and try to approach the bump as closely to being perpendicular as possible.

Also, slow speed maneuvering is easier if you practice keeping the RPM high (at or around 3000) and controlling your speed by dragging (stepping/ feathering) the rear brake to stabilize the bike, while covering/ feathering the clutch, as needed.

This takes some practice, so try it out first in a safe area in a straight line- then doing u-turns.

The logic is that the higher the engine revs, the more stable the bike will be. But, since this is a slow speed maneuver, you dont want to be moving really fast. So you control the speed and add stability by feathering or dragging the rear brake. The rear brake actually controls your propulsion in this scenario.

You don't want to grab the front brake during the turn, because it causes the front to compress and destabilizes the balance. Only grab the front when u are ready to stop completely.

They don't teach this technique at MSF. Why, I have no idea. But, it works. :)

Last edited:

bobski

Just to add my 2 cents worth here. I agree pretty much with everyone else, but imho it's a tricky manouver because you're actually dealing with two issues and tricky skills at one time. First is the bump, and trying to take it at 90 degrees best technique. Second and at the same time is the transition into the low speed turn/u-turn where you switch from counter steering to turning the bars in the direction you want to go and focus on balancing the bike. Practice and become confident in those skills and it should feel better. :)

vkamnev

I did it :) Yay! Though, went from second lane and stopped at yellow line, felt the whole way safe and easy. Need more practice to reduce radius almost twice now.

Thank you all!