Lost the brakes in my car tonight... :(

JSP

Super Moderator
First, no I didnt wreck... so that is the upside. Grandma is babysitting the kiddo so the wife and I went out for a drink and some food. On our way home went to hit the brakes to turn and the pedal went straight to the floor! Had to blow through the turn. There was still a little stopping power while the pedal was on the floor but I almost had to stand on the damn thing to get it to do anything. And then when it did do anything it yanked the car very hard to the left, so only one wheel was getting "something".

We made it home thankfully in one piece... I popped the hood and the brake fluid is full. So that rules out a leak. So I am assuming it is the master cylinder that went out. :mad: Really dont need this right now.

Heineken

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I'm not much of a car mechanic, can't help with troubleshooting.
But I'm sure you roll up your sleeves and solve this. :thumbup:
Thanks. Yeah, will start crawlin tomorrow and see what I can find...

Electrix

Try pump the brake pedal when the car is off and while the car is on (it could be the booster). It could be the seal in the master cyl not sealing to get pressure. if it is the seal you will need a new master cyl.

Spunky99

Sounds like the seal in the master. A shot booster would give you a real hard brake pedal but it would stop and you would have pedal. Same thing happened to the YSR50. Toss a rebuilt master or a seal kit into it.

Detrich

Ouch. Good to hear you guys made it home safe. U can also use the hand brake in an emergency... Hope u get it fixed

MikeN02

Damn, glad you're alright. Why is your life so dangerous? :cool: Riding your bike on the snow, drifting through the corners.

CDN6R

I had this happen to me once a long time ago. God awful sinking feeling in the stomach isn`t it. A feeiling of complete helplessness. Glad that you and the wife came out OK. BTW did you have to change your underware!!!:)justkidding:)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
It happen to me long time ago. I blew up one of the rear brake piston (drum brake) fill the fluid and pump the brakes... you should find out where it's laking from.

Indeed it is the rear drum... It is leaking :mad:. Looks like the damn thing is flat coming apart.

Why is my fluid in the front res. showing its still full when its leaking out the back? Are there two res?

I will admit, car brakes is one thing I have just never really cared to deal with... I know my way around bikes and most everything else on cars but the damn brakes. Wont know for sure still if the MC is bad (looks like it may be fine after all) until the rear can get replaced. At least if thats the only problem it wont cost too much.

MC#4

Sounds like you lost a rear wheel cylinder. It'll prolly cost about $120-$150 to replace both and yes I would recommend doing both at the same time. I am part owner of a garage and that's the typical bill for that job. That includes parts, labor, fluid, everything.

The reason you still have fluid is because the MC almost certainly has a divider for front/rear. They do this so if you lose a wheel cyl./brake line/brake hose or whatever, you will still have enough brake force to stop the car.

If you are not familiar with brakes, I would recommend you let a garage handle it, you may even consider letting them tow it to the shop if you don't feel comfortable driving it.

Good Luck!

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks, you were spot on.

Blew the rear piston. My knee is pretty jacked up right now for an unkown reason and I cant hardly even squat, so I cant work on the car at all. Took it in and they had it done within a couple hours.

Had both rears completely redone, system flushed and bled. $190 total. At least its fixed and I can get to work on Monday. Not too bad of a smack in the wallet.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Sorry, yes the shoes were replaced as well.