Looking for a highway based tire

swatguy

Well both my wife's bike and mine are in need of some new rears. Hers has about 6000 and mine has 6800. Both rear tires have huge flat spots and big chicken strips due to the long straight up highway miles.

Is there a tire that has a harder compound in the middle. There are next to zero twisties and corners living here in Chicago to really get into and both our bikes are 80% commuters on the e-way. Also if I did switch to the harder compound would I need to do fronts as well? Both our fronts look almost brand new.

Thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Shinko raven 009's FTW from my understanding they are a dual compound tire hard in the middle and semi soft outside, the fewest miles I've gotten out of a rear so far was 12,000, and that's not cruising miles. That's about 6 good smoky burnouts at the dragstrip, 1 or 2 burnouts just for the hell of it, and about 3000 miles of balls to the wall mountain road riding. And in the mountains there have been quite a few r6, r1, cbrr's, and even a Ducati or 2 who have tried to keep up with my little fz6 not knowing what kinda of bike it was until we stopped at the top of blood mountain and had a little conversation, once I told me ya it's just a little fz6 there jaws hit the floor and the excuses started to fly, especially the Ducati and r1 guys. So yes they grip too!!! Don't let anyone tell you that shinko tires are garbage unless they have actually run a set. Are there better tires out there? Sure are but not anything close to them for the price!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Like dart said, a Sport "TOURING" tire is what ya want.

swatguy

For sure on the sport tourer, but the Roadsmart 2 i believe is what came from the factory and it was eaten alive on the rear while the front doesn't look touched. So thought maybe there was a better designed tire to attack the straight up highway miles. I may try the shinko as I have been reading some decent reviews.

Chevyfazer

Ya the shinko 009 ravens are made just for what you want, highway miles while still having great grip on the outside. I know lots of people bash shinko but those are people who have never tried a set. IMHO only professional riders could actually tell the difference between the shinkos and other sport touring tires traction. Regular joes IMO only notice how long they last. Another good thing about the 009's is they have excellent wet traction with the tread design, front and rear, I don't know if you ride a lot in the wet but I ride my bike everyday and honestly have never felt any lack of confidence in the tire when it's raining.

WhiteFZ

I do 90% all highway miles, I daily drive my CBR, I run a Sport Touring BT023 on the rear and a BT016 on the front. I only have 2500 miles on them so far, no noticeable wear so far. I also like how the Roadsmarts have worn so far on my wife's FZ6R. It has 3900 miles so far.

sammy56

IMHO....Expect even a touring tire to last as follows (typically):
Rear - 5000 - 7000 miles
Front - 10,000 - 14,000 miles

Just my 2 cents as it depends on riding style.

LB

WhiteFZ

IMHO....Expect even a touring tire to last as follows (typically):
Rear - 5000 - 7000 miles
Front - 10,000 - 14,000 miles

Just my 2 cents as it depends on riding style.

LB
IDK, I'd be pretty pissed off if all I got out of my BT023 was 7000 miles. The previous owner got 6500 out of a BT012.

Chevyfazer

Yeah I'd be real pissed to get 5000-7000 on a rear of a touring tire, that's garbage mileage on a touring tire, unless you got a 1000lb bike with 170hp lol, but 5000-7000 is mid range sport tire mileage

sammy56

It's all just opinion.
Since this is FZ6R discussion, when I say tourer...it is "sport" tourer.
That being said, it's your ride, but my expectation is to need to change the rear in 5000 - 7000 miles and I have done so.....and it was necessary. For the front I would be unimpressed, but as expected...not necessary.
Happy riding to you all!

Chevyfazer

It's all just opinion.
Since this is FZ6R discussion, when I say tourer...it is "sport" tourer.
That being said, it's your ride, but my expectation is to need to change the rear in 5000 - 7000 miles and I have done so.....and it was necessary. For the front I would be unimpressed, but as expected...not necessary.
Happy riding to you all!
What kind of tires are you getting those kinds of miles out of?

sammy56

What kind of tires are you getting those kinds of miles out of?
Sport Touring: Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzeler....I don't have experience with other brands, but my expectation is the same.
I guess we all ride differently...best of luck.

Chevyfazer

I know your talking about sport touring tires I'm asking specifically what brand and model are you getting those kind of miles out of

sammy56

Metzeler M3, Dunlop Sportmax....can't remember the Bridgstone tire model

Chevyfazer

Metzeler M3, Dunlop Sportmax....can't remember the Bridgstone tire model
Lol where there's your answer!!! Those tires are not sport touring tires, they are both supersport tires, the Dunlop being a pretty much a track tire. Well depending on what sportmax your talking about...q2 etc

Last edited:

sammy56

Lol where there's your answer!!! Those tires are not sport touring tires, they are both supersport tires, the Dunlop being a pretty much a track tire. Well depending on what sportmax your talking about...q2 etc
Wow you are painful...sportmax has a sport touring model.
To each his own...some folks run on tires longer than others, does not really matter to me, just sharing.