light smoke?

porky45

Changed my oil for the first time. Started her up, she ran fine, but there seems to be smoke?

I think it may be from oil that dripped onto the exhaust by the headers or something like that? i'm thinking it might just be burning off...

Anyone else have any other ideas? Smoke seems to start when bike is idling around 160 degree's.

Looking back i'm honestly not sure if i double checked that the gasket came off the old oil filter but i'm assuming that i would actually see oil on the ground if that seal was not tight.

Kinda scared to ride the bike until i know what is going on for sure.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

porky45

replaced the stock filter with the K&N filter and the oil level looks fine.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

porky45

Do you still have the old filter?
no i threw it away (wishing i didn't so i could double check). I'd prefer not to change the oil again, but it seems like the safest thing to do in order to make sure there's only one gasket there.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

porky45

pretty sure the k&n has it's own. the issue (i read in the how to oil change thread) is that if you leave the gasket from the old filter and put the new filter on the seal will not be strong enough for the oil pressure that is created.

that's my understand, but i'm not very mechanically inclined at all.

bmw675

ive had issues with gaskets sticking to the block before, but never on the 6r, but anything is possible i guess.

more than likely its just oil that dripped on the exhaust, i think its near impossible not to get some on it, unless you put a rag or something over it first.

porky45

thanks. I guess i'll just try and let it burn off. I'd imagine if it's been running for 5 minutes with rpm intervals 1k- 9k and no oil leaks anywhere it SHOULD be ok.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

bmw675

thanks. I guess i'll just try and let it burn off. I'd imagine if it's been running for 5 minutes with rpm intervals 1k- 9k and no oil leaks anywhere it SHOULD be ok.
if it had a leak at the filter, it would more than likely be a noticeable leak. ie: if you had two gaskets it would be running out pretty good. just run it for a while, wipe it all down again and before you go out riding make sure everything still looks dry. im sure you're good to go!

Stephenfz6r

As we I say in my shop, TEST don't Guess, If you lean the bike over you can remove the filter without loosing a lot of oil. It's worth the piece of mind to be sure. Of course if all leaks out on the highway at warp speed you'll be sure also. It's your call.:banghead:

Newmason

The stock filter o-ring should have come off when you took off the oil-filter the first time. The new k&n filter comes with a new gasket already installed that you should have applied alittle bit of oil to the ring prior to putting in on, so I will assume you didnt do this. Do like the above poster said and find something to rest the bike on its side by the handlebars and take off the oil filter. Do this when the bike is completly cold and hasnt been started for the day as you will only loose the oil in the filter. Take it off and just make sure the stock gasket isnt just hanging out on the case still. I am about 90% sure it isnt still on there or you would have had some massive leaking by now. Most likely the smoke is coming from the oil that has dripped down onto the exhaust after you pulled the stock filter off as the once you pull that filter off, you will have oil all over the muffler and parts of the header. Do yourself a favor and the road a favor and grab some break cleaner so that when you do pull the filters on and off you can spray some break cleaner/ carb cleaner on the header and the mufflers to get rid of the oil that will end up on the muffler. Double check your work and you wont have to worry about things

porky45

Thanks, I did apply a thin layer of oil around the ring on the K&N... for whatever reason double checking the stock filter to ensure the seal came off with it slipped my mind.