Level concreting

FastFreddy

I have to pour a concrete slab for a shed that is 7m wide.

I'm fishing for ideas on how to keep the screed level.

I'm wondering has anyone come across a tool to keep the floating end of the screed level ? I can put one side on the edge formwork, but the other end of the screed has nothing to rest level on. I'm guessing there is a tool that either sits on the reinforced mesh (reo) or on the ground under it that can provide an adjustable level platform that you can move around as you do the screeding for the slab.

I can get a screed with a level vial so that will help some.

Or is this a case of you having to use your eye and taut builders string and keep concentrating ?

Bert-Aus

Setup a Laser level & mark with a texta on the shed sheets the level to finish too.
Generally the base prep should be level to begin with, as concrete will slump to what grade the base has been prepped too.

Maybe an idea to have a 1/100 fall towards the main door, so that any flooding / spills etc drain

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Chucker

I had the same issue with my driveway a few years ago. I did it by hand and eye, and it turned out OK, but I vowed that if I was to do it again, I would form it and pour in 2 halves. I would pour one half, remove the centre form once it's set, install some expansion joint, and then pour the other half. It's a bit more work, but you need to cut it up the middle anyway and you can get it dead flat with a 12 foot screed.

+1 on the slight fall for drainage.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

Oh yeah, next time I'm building a shed, I'll give money to someone to do in a few days, I need my weekends back to go riding again. I want to get arm pump from braking repeatedly, not from using garden hoes, shovels and picks in the hot sun. Working in the sun, ****s up your face too.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

I never pay contractors until they have completed the work agreed to be done (and in the manner of doing it),
if they cant cover the cost of materials up front, well in my book they are a risk to deal with.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chucker

My dad taught me that "professional" simply means someone gets paid to do it. It is not a sign of ability or quality. I tend to do as much as I can myself for 2 reasons.

1. It usually costs me a little more than 1/2 to do it myself. I have saved tens of thousands doing my own work.

2. I usually do it better than a "professional" would, albeit a little slower. My wife always wants to hire someone to get it done quicker, but we have almost always been disappointed in the quality of the work.

Bert-Aus

Chucker, same goes for myself,
And that is part of the reasoning for becoming a Landscape Architect myself.
Knowing how to do things and then being able to experiment with applications/ methods and following through with a high level of work/craftmanship is what keeps me doing what I do:)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2