Insurance Laws by State

I am residing in VA for military reasons which requires insurance on bikes and my bike is registered in Florida which doesn't require insurance on bikes and I don't have any at the moment, but will be getting some soon when the funds are full. Does any know if I can ride in VA with no insurance cause of Florida tags?

MikeN02

I would say that you would have to get insurance of you plan on staying there even though you have a Florida tag.

Same as helmet law.. I believe...

I would say that you would have to get insurance of you plan on staying there even though you have a Florida tag.

Same as helmet law.. I believe...
Yeah your right if you spend 90 days or more in a state you have to abide by there rules. If I get stopped for any reason I can just say I brought the bike here yesterday.

yeah... as if the VA police was born yesterday..:eek: if i were you, i would have got the insurance on the bike already.. VA i very tough on laws my friend.. do not ride here without insurance... my 2 cents...
Thanks man I appreciate it, getting some quotes for Florida and VA and it's a big difference. $900.00 a year in Florida and $1,200 a year in VA.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Aren't you close to my age? I got about $500/yr with nationwide, full coverage.... I've had them for a while with my cages (too long I guess so I just dropped them 'cause they were about $350 more /6 months than other places). Check with you're other insurance company first, even though it's a separate policy, also, make sure, if your wife isn't, that they know you are only covering yourself.

I checked around when I switched my cages... everyone said I needed 2 years under my belt before my rate would drastically drop.... which to me, is super biased/stupid/@#$@ (so a 60 yr old, would have to wait two years to "prove" he was a safe rider.... don't get me started).

Good luck man, looking forward to riding with you. And if you've kept up with the FB group, they have "date rides" with laid back routes for riders with passengers (wives/girlfriends), usually ending or beginning with some food somewhere!
Yeah man looking forward to riding with you also and I see jay is in MD and your friends. I have USAA with my cages but they no longer insure bikes and they referred me to progressive. I'll have to check Nationwide also, thanks for the referral.

jay

Yeah man looking forward to riding with you also and I see jay is in MD and your friends. I have USAA with my cages but they no longer insure bikes and they referred me to progressive. I'll have to check Nationwide also, thanks for the referral.
yeah.. don is my official ride buddy.. he leads and i follow.. :D stick to him and he will show you all hidden charms of VA. from 211 to 911 :eek: j/k.. where you at in VA ? ... lookin fwd to ride with you..

Roaddawg

Yeah your right if you spend 90 days or more in a state you have to abide by there rules. If I get stopped for any reason I can just say I brought the bike here yesterday.
You need to look up the laws in VA pertaining to military. Because your in the military, most States don't make you get their license or registration as long as your active duty military. You just have to keep your home state (Florida) stuff current. But, aren't you still required to have insurance to drive/ride on the military installation regardless of what state you live in?!? I was in the Air Force for 10 years and I remember that you have to have insurance on your vehicles to drive them on base. So, unless they changed the rules...

You need to look up the laws in VA pertaining to military. Because your in the military, most States don't make you get their license or registration as long as your active duty military. You just have to keep your home state (Florida) stuff current. But, aren't you still required to have insurance to drive/ride on the military installation regardless of what state you live in?!? I was in the Air Force for 10 years and I remember that you have to have insurance on your vehicles to drive them on base. So, unless they changed the rules...
Yes, I can keep Florida insurance but if I am in VA longer than 90 days straight it has to be switched to VA. But all I do is tell them that I ride it to Florida once a month and I can keep Florida insurance. On post you have to have insurance, that's why I haven't rode it yet since it's been here. Getting quotes now cause I'm itching to ride it.

bmw675

$900 is rediculous. i just got my bill for the year, and mine went up alot, kind of made me mad. its now $391 over $311 last year.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

elderproctor

I live in Maryland and got a notice before I received my renewal stating that insurance rates for MD were being raised 5 to 15% across the board. So, I changed somethings around and it went from $530 a year to $276 a year, full coverage. Try Mcgraw Motorcycle Insurance, they were extremely reasonable for the Year.

I live in Maryland and got a notice before I received my renewal stating that insurance rates for MD were being raised 5 to 15% across the board. So, I changed somethings around and it went from $530 a year to $276 a year, full coverage. Try Mcgraw Motorcycle Insurance, they were extremely reasonable for the Year.
Ok I will look into to them, thanks bro....

Yellow09FZ6R

Thanks man I appreciate it, getting some quotes for Florida and VA and it's a big difference. $900.00 a year in Florida and $1,200 a year in VA.
Holy cow that's spendy I found progressive to be the cheapest. Im 20 years old with 3 exhibition of speed tickets and 2 speeding tickets and i pay 139 a year

bmw675

is that for full coverage and with who?
mines full coverage, with country companies, its a pretty big company in illinois and a few other states, but i believe they are not in VA.

Holy cow that's spendy I found progressive to be the cheapest. Im 20 years old with 3 exhibition of speed tickets and 2 speeding tickets and i pay 139 a year

Those quotes are for Progressive and Foremost. They were pretty much the same. Remember it also goes by location. The bigger the city with more traffic is high and the small country town with back roads and no traffic is cheaper.