if this doesn't make you think!!!

H

HavBlue

I wonder if people who participate in the sport of base jumping watch videos similar to this telling them of the potential danger?
Sure they do and you know why? So they can learn from others mistakes. If some don't have the stomach for it I can see why they may not watch however, to others a lot can be gained by seeing what not to do or possibly why things went wrong. This is why we now have these neat things called "training films."

Don't believe it? Look at what the US Navy did with the USS Forrestal (CVA-59) incident of July 1967. It later became a must see training film and yeah, people died or were badly burned.......

W

Whitey Dodge

Sure they do and you know why? So they can learn from others mistakes. If some don't have the stomach for it I can see why they may not watch however, to others a lot can be gained by seeing what not to do or possibly why things went wrong. This is why we now have these neat things called "training films."

To put it another way, do you watch automobile safety films? NASCAR races do not count. :D I know I don't, I have better things to do with my time.

Don't believe it? Look at what the US Navy did with the USS Forrestal (CVA-59) incident of July 1967. It later became a must see training film and yeah, people died or were badly burned.......

No kidding. But unlike the moto "safety" film, the Forrestal footage was actual events from start to finish. Let's try to keep things in perspective.

bikerider

I think this video is good. After a while Some of us start to let our guards down when riding. But when we watch this it reminds us of everything out there that could happen and to always be alert.

H

HavBlue

To put it another way, do you watch automobile safety films? NASCAR races do not count. :D I know I don't, I have better things to do with my time.

No kidding. But unlike the moto "safety" film, the Forrestal footage was actual events from start to finish. Let's try to keep things in perspective.
The answer to this would be yes on all counts and taking this one step further I have a binder that is roughly 3" thick with nothing but news articles about motorcycle incidents where folks have been injured or died. I actually collect them for a real good reason and this is clearly to gather information relative to the why and how. One can not begin to understand either unless they are aware of the reasons behind the various incidents. This will be my 45th season and I still have all my body parts in the places they belong with no broken bones, pins or other incident associated hardware to keep me from passing through the metal detector at our local airport. So, I have a very clear perspective when it comes to my understanding of what not to do.....

N

Numpty

Thanks for posting that Danny it sure hits home and makes you think that you have to be on the ball 100%, especially when near junctions or the last five minutes of a ride cos thats when we tend to relax and start to think about other things

W

Whitey Dodge

The answer to this would be yes on all counts and taking this one step further I have a binder that is roughly 3" thick with nothing but news articles about motorcycle incidents where folks have been injured or died. I actually collect them for a real good reason and this is clearly to gather information relative to the why and how. One can not begin to understand either unless they are aware of the reasons behind the various incidents. This will be my 45th season and I still have all my body parts in the places they belong with no broken bones, pins or other incident associated hardware to keep me from passing through the metal detector at our local airport. So, I have a very clear perspective when it comes to my understanding of what not to do.....
The metal pins and screws do not set off airport metal detectors, or at the Federal court house. Ask me how I know. :D

I don't collect news articles, the biggest reason being, the majority of motorcycle accident victims are a result of stupidity. For example, not wearing a helmet, alcohol. Then there is a good number that do not even have a motorcycle endorsement, so lack of training plays a part.

Then there is the middle age crisis riders, who could not afford a Harley Davidson in their youth, tired of their 9 to 5 jobs, pretending to be 1%ers, with a lack of skill.

There is nothing to see here. I just practice what was taught in the MSF course, SIPDE!

That has kept me accident free since I started riding again after college. The high school years are a different story, but I was young and dumb then...

H

HavBlue

Then there is a good number that do not even have a motorcycle endorsement, so lack of training plays a part.
Do you really think that endorsement makes you a better rider? Seems we did OK without them for 70 years or so. That endorsement doesn't make the rider and I know folks who have never even attempted to get one that ride quite well with no accidents at all in years of riding; and they have insurance too. I choose to ride with an endorsement but I don't think for a minute it makes me any better at riding or being safe while I ride.

W

Whitey Dodge

Do you really think that endorsement makes you a better rider?
Now where in my post did I say that? In and of itself, an endorsement means nothing, however, riding a motorcycle without an endorsement, is an indicator of lack of training. Lack of insurance is in no way restricted to motorcycle riders. In my state, that is a sizable problem among auto owners.

L

lonesoldier84

what is the song called that plays throughout the video?

very very good stuff. stay off the excessive throttle on the roads gents. ill open it up on the country roads, but in city i am strictly speed limit and super defensive after my dump on gravel humbled me. this video just reinforced that times 200. gonna watch it once every 2 weeks just to be sure.

that guy on the off-ramp dumping bike then getting run over.....holy ****.....

C

cv_rider

Now where in my post did I say that? In and of itself, an endorsement means nothing, however, riding a motorcycle without an endorsement, is an indicator of lack of training. Lack of insurance is in no way restricted to motorcycle riders. In my state, that is a sizable problem among auto owners.
True that an endorsement doesn't make you a better rider, but statiscally speaking, you are almost three times more likely to have an accident if you only have a car endorsement (David Hough, Proficient Motorcycling). That is reflecting that lots of people who don't really know what they are doing get on a bike and crash it. You have to have some minimum capability to get an endorsement.

B

blkFZ6rider

:(:( that was very powerful. its sad what can happen when people just dont pay attention. even for just a moment.:shakehead:

C

champion221elite

Very powerful video! It really puts things into perspective... thanks for posting.

T

Tremulant

Bump for a great vid. If you haven't seen this yet, watch it.

I was wondering if this vid had been posted. Every rider should see this and think about the consequences of riding a motorcycle. Know the dangers. I watch this movie every once in a while just to keep me scared enough to ride safe.

Yone

That was a neat video. Definitely makes you think. Y'all ride safe out there now and forever!

See red

Wow.. I have three kids at home. Every time I leave on my bike THAT is what I remember.

I need to come home to them.

Be safe, have fun.

Sparkxx1

Unfortunately tons of motorcycle accidents are because of rider error and cager error. Although we can certainly do a lot to reduce our errors we will never be able to reduce cager error, especially in todays day and age. The fact that our technology is affecting our quality of life and taking away from it, instead of adding to it, is pretty bad. People should drive when they drive, not talk, drive, and practice for the circus. Until cars are totally automatic, we won't be able to reduce the cager error, until then we will have to be more and more careful. Now that cars are doing more and more for their drivers, making it "easier." I feel like people are going to forget how to park, stop, and essentially enjoy the ride. Cars nowadays can park for you, stop for you, warn you of cars in your blindspots. If a car that can stop automatically encounters a motorcycle, are you totally sure the sensor will see you, depending on which portion of the lane you're using. Or is the old fart in the seat even paying much attention to traffic? Buying a top of the line car today guarantees it has like 4 cameras just to distract you plus a GPS and entertainment system. It's really sucks :banghead: Not to mention a wife or husband plus 3 kids trying to get your attention at the same time...

CrazyCawi

:hijack: quick question....howd there get to be so many GUEST comments :confused: