I found a screw in my tire now what?

Sparkxx1

That's pretty much it, rode it to my friends house but when I was going to get on we noticed I had a screw stuck in the tire. Do I take it out? Do I take it somewhere to get fixed?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

XTRAWLD

Front or rear? If it's in the front, you might want to get that replaced asap. The last thing you want happening is anything to that front tire....heaven forbid shredding on you. The rear tire, you could likely still ride it somewhere for it's repair safetly. Either way, I'd recommend getting it replaced. You could ride it to a service area with a plug in it, but if it's in the front tire, it's incredibly risky.

Heineken

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

Run. As fast as you can. The bike's going to explode.

:justkidding:

Like everyone mentioned replace it as soon as you can. If you can't at the moment and it's your daily transportation then plug it but don't go fast on it.

Sparkxx1

I might plug it for now, the tire has less then 20 miles on it for gods sake...Anyways I won't be going anywhere past 40 mph since I'm still practicing for my road test. sigh, fml this is what happens when you have to ride in shady alleys with debris because NYS has shitty laws on permits.

herbie

I might plug it for now, the tire has less then 20 miles on it for gods sake...Anyways I won't be going anywhere past 40 mph since I'm still practicing for my road test. sigh, fml this is what happens when you have to ride in shady alleys with debris because NYS has shitty laws on permits.
leave the screw in till you get it home or to shop then take it out if it leaks get new tire if not run it

JSP

Super Moderator
Never trust a plugged motorcycle tire... Replace it. Your life depends on that tire. Have you had a crash at 40 mph? I have and ended up in the hospital with a dislocated shoulder and jacked up ankle and entire right side bruised to hell. I was also wearing a full race suit.

Its not worth it... Spend the money and get it replaced.

Sparkxx1

SOOOOOOooooo, I got a plug for NOW. I will be replacing the tire asap but, which one do I get I heard the roadsmarts are crap. I'm going to be keepingit under 35 since I'm not confident to do highways by myself, and even less with a plug.

What tire do you guys recommended or should i get a roadsmart until I can change both front and rear?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sammy56

SOOOOOOooooo, I got a plug for NOW. I will be replacing the tire asap but, which one do I get I heard the roadsmarts are crap. I'm going to be keepingit under 35 since I'm not confident to do highways by myself, and even less with a plug.

What tire do you guys recommended or should i get a roadsmart until I can change both front and rear?
You heard wrong. Nothing wrong with Roadsmart tires. Tire preference can be personal, but from a rating perspective, Roadsmart is up there in a positive way. I have only used Sport Touring tires and going back to Dunlop from Meztelter M3. I very much liked the M3, but I believe the Roadsmart is better.
True sport tires are definitely stickier, but you sacrifice some longevity. Again...personal preference.

LB

bmw675

+1, roadsmarts are not the 'popular' choice but i just replaced my rear and went with the roadsmart again. it may be a harder tire thats not as sticky for performance, but i felt it was better for me because i do alot of commuting (last longer).

and from the sound of it you are a beginner rider as well, the roadsmart would probably be a good choice as of now.

You heard wrong. Nothing wrong with Roadsmart tires. Tire preference can be personal, but from a rating perspective, Roadsmart is up there in a positive way. I have only used Sport Touring tires and going back to Dunlop from Meztelter M3. I very much liked the M3, but I believe the Roadsmart is better.
True sport tires are definitely stickier, but you sacrifice some longevity. Again...personal preference.

LB