how often?

scoobienorth

how often does everyone adjust the chain tension? just curious getting ready for my big trip, i have 2000km on my bike now and it was fine at my 1000km service.

husker525

You should at least be checking your chain tension before each ride, as part of your pre-ride checklist. There are a lot of factors that affect the amount and rate of wear on your chain. Proper lubrication, initial chain slack settings, and even the style of riding that you do can effect it. As long as it is in spec, you are fine.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

scoobienorth

as for cleaning in properly not sure, it does get lube on a regular basis, i wipe it down with wd40 and a cotton rag before oiling. i check it quite a bit have 2200 km on it so far no adjustments, hasnt seemed to change much. started popping wheelies though so i think that might stretch the chain a bit, more concerned about if i have to pack tools on my trip to adjust the chain or not.

husker525

I am anal about maintenence, and picked up the TCLOCK acronym in my MSF course. Here is the link to what should be checked on a pre-ride inspection. It takes less than 5 minutes for me before each ride.

T-CLOCK Inspection Worksheet

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I am anal about maintenence, and picked up the TCLOCK acronym in my MSF course. Here is the link to what should be checked on a pre-ride inspection. It takes less than 5 minutes for me before each ride.

I use the TWO SEC checklist. :thumbup:

Tires and pressure
Wheels
Oil and other fluids

Suspension
Electronics and lights
Chain

Spunky99

Looks like a pre-flight checklist for a Cessna 172:thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

jotapeh

Hmm.

I should probably check a few things myself this weekend. Have put about 2200km on it and it hasn't been checked since first service. I do clean/lube the chain religiously though.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The chances of stretching the chain enough to put it out of whack in one ride to where you'd have to adjust the chain on the side of the road is minimal. If you check it before each ride you'll be fine.

Since my weekly ride is commuting and the occasional bike night, I don't check everything every morning, noon and night before riding. Things just don't break like that. I do a quick walk around while putting on my gear, looking for leaking fluids and anything else obviously out of whack, but I don't break out my tire gauge, ruler or any other tools to do a full inspection (that's my weekend routine 'cause I put about 400-600 miles a week on the bike).

If you are a weekend warrior only, then by all means, check it every time before riding.
+1

Since I commute daily, I don't do the full inspection twice a day. But I do give it a look over every morning before leaving for work. The full inspection is done on the weekend.