How much additional HP would it need to maintain acceleration with a +1 F sprocket

Drennan57

I'm thinking about putting a +1 on the front to correct the speedo and help with long highway trips. I don't want to lose any acceleration with the taller gearing.

I don't know if there is a table available to figure this type of stuff out but I'm hoping you guys might have a rough estimate in mind.

D

Chucker

I did this and, once I'm moving, I don't really notice the difference any more.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Drennan57

Won't give you anymore HP, just going to accelerate a bit quicker. If you shift gears on your bicycle... that doesn't make you stronger LOL
What are you talking about? Going a tooth "up" on a front sprocket makes the gears taller, thus making your smug bicycle comment nothing but a showcase of your ignorance.

We can use the bicycle if you need to dumb it down a little. For example taking off in 1st gear on a ten speed is easier then taking off in 10th gear. What I want to know is how much "stronger" i would need to be so that the bike will accelerate going +1 on the front sprocket at the same rate as the stock gear ratio.

I expected better from you.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Drennan57

I read a bit quick... We've seen a few thread over the years of installing different gearing to pick up HP, I tough it was another one of those. The bicycle comment was about being funny, not being an a$$. About your ignorant comment... I think I more than proven myself here over the years, we'll leave it there. (let's move on...)

Now to answer your question properly with a stock bike & stock gearing get about the same acceleration of a bike with exhaust + PCV with +1 front gearing.
Thanks and you have proven yourself around here that's why it surprised me.

xorbe

You'll notice the loss in 1st gear, but once moving, not so much. Well, for lower powered bikes, you'd also notice at the top if the top is around freeway speeds (250~350 cc bikes).

In the case of engines w lower torque than HP one often finds the added load of gear changes drops the engines manifold vacuum and the net effect taken by the ecu is to add more fuel to offset the increased load.

The end result can be decreased fuel economy even tho the math says the gearing should move the vehicle further down the road per crankshaft revolution...
1t on the front may not impact it much. But theses like to rev and get better mpgs when not loaded....

Drennan57

In the case of engines w lower torque than HP one often finds the added load of gear changes drops the engines manifold vacuum and the net effect taken by the ecu is to add more fuel to offset the increased load.

The end result can be decreased fuel economy even tho the math says the gearing should move the vehicle further down the road per crankshaft revolution...
1t on the front may not impact it much. But theses like to rev and get better mpgs when not loaded....
Interesting. I could care less about fuel economy personally but I would instantly regret it if I lost any noticeable amount of acceleration. The FZ doesn't have any power to sacrifice in stock form IMO. If the bike came with around 85hp from the factory it might have been ok but as it sits losing any get up would have a very negative impact on the bike.

Chucker

You'll notice it a little (very little) out of the hole, but not once you're moving. I actually find it helps at the track because I can run one gear lower than usual and it makes my laps faster. That, however, has a lot to do with the configuration of the track I usually go to as well.

Drennan57

You'll notice it a little (very little) out of the hole, but not once you're moving. I actually find it helps at the track because I can run one gear lower than usual and it makes my laps faster. That, however, has a lot to do with the configuration of the track I usually go to as well.
Hey I was born in Mississauga , live in Kingston now. What track are you running at Kayuga? I plan on doing a track day at some point. Shannonville is a half hour ride from here which is nice.

Small world.