How many inches do the stock front forks extend when unweighted, like when wheelie?

sti491

There is a heck of a Daytina Bike Week deal at Galfer and Motosport right now where you get the rear SS line free with the purchase of fonts.

I'm going with custom length 2 separate front lines in triple black: black lines, banjos and bolts for my Raven. Should look sick!

I mocked up the front lines with my Rox 1" up and 1" back risers, that has my stock rubber line a bit on the snug side currently. I put a bit of slack in the new line set up.

But I am curious, just how much does the front fork travel when unweighted, potentially putting the brake line(s) in stress?

I have no way to lift the front of the bike off the ground in my shop other than jack it on the headers or take the exhaust system off, neither of which I want to do. If anyone knows I would appreciate it!

BTW, I researched a lot on one front line down to the calliper over the fender to the other side, vs 2 separate lines from the front master cylinder. This is the best explanation from Sandro, a pretty smart dude at Galpher. Speigler has yet to return one e-mail :-(

The performance differences between the two are:
1 line down and then jumping from caliper to caliper is not preferred because in the event one caliper overheats, the other one is also compromised, also, in the event something breaks the fender off, chances of taking the lines along with that are very high, thus many manufacturers have now moved away from that routing….

Pressure or performance is identical otherwise, there are no gains or losing.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

Mine are Galfer lines, so 2 lines from the MC. /i wonder if you give Galfer the length you're looking at if they can whip up a set for you custom? Wouldnt be too much trouble for them. snip snip crimp crimp and done.

I'm sure none of use will ever push our calipers to that extreme, especially those still running oem rubber lines, but its nice to upgrade the brake system on this bike. Heres to hoping I can fit that Brembo 17RCS ;)

sti491

I have talked with Galfer. They are very nice. Custom length is a free option.... cool! They thought my mock up pics were reasonable, I came up with 32.25" for the right and 34.25" for the left. I am ordering through Motosport to get free shipping and use fast cash I have there. Easy peasy. I'm guessing the forks don't extend more than a 1.5" or so, but was wondering if anyone actually knew.

My back brake is a little funky. Might have some air in it. I was going to replace fluid in the bike anyway, and with this deal can't pass up new lines.

Do not have the final price yet, but I think it will be $110 for front and rear, black lines, banjos and bolts, free shipping, less fast cash, Ebate and paypal cc discounts = $98 for both front custom & rear lines. Pretty good.

Last edited:

sti491

Mine are Galfer lines, so 2 lines from the MC. /i wonder if you give Galfer the length you're looking at if they can whip up a set for you custom? Wouldnt be too much trouble for them. snip snip crimp crimp and done.

I'm sure none of use will ever push our calipers to that extreme, especially those still running oem rubber lines, but its nice to upgrade the brake system on this bike. Heres to hoping I can fit that Brembo 17RCS ;)
Does your line routing and slack look about like my pics? I have Brembo's on my Sti. Great calipers.

MrFrzZ

Does your line routing and slack look about like my pics? I have Brembo's on my Sti. Great calipers.
My front is actually lowered 1.5" to accommodate clip-ons, so my bike isn't a good frame of reference on the length. I will say that I had enough slack that I routed them in the stock "keepers" on the fender just to keep them from moving excessively. When I did the rear, I wrapped it with electrical tape where the metal hose keeper was. I might go back and try to remove it off the OEM line and put it on the SS, but so far no issues.

sti491

My front is actually lowered 1.5" to accommodate clip-ons, so my bike isn't a good frame of reference on the length. I will say that I had enough slack that I routed them in the stock "keepers" on the fender just to keep them from moving excessively. When I did the rear, I wrapped it with electrical tape where the metal hose keeper was. I might go back and try to remove it off the OEM line and put it on the SS, but so far no issues.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk