help!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Next time you are riding and hear it, reach up and lightly touch the left side of the windscreen. The buzzing will likely go away. It seems to be a common annoyance for a lot of people. The remedy is to put some double sided tape between the windscreen and the fairing or to put a piece of sticky-backed foam there.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The video is private and so I can't watch it to hear what the sound is.

However, if you had a damaged piston, I would think the sound would be only one of a number of signs that something was wrong. I imagine you would have blue smoke coming from the exhaust and it would run pretty rough.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the camera's position, it reminds me of the buzzing from the windscreen.

bmw675

you say that you can't here it when riding? is there anyway that your camera mount is magnfying a vibration? or maybe the way air is hitting the microphone on the camera.

Roaddawg

i just rode around while holding the windscreen in every corner, noise is still present in video....
im going to hear that noise in my sleep now...

(the ZZ's are that damn buzzing noise!)...
If you don't hear it when riding, I really doubt its going to be a bad piston. It's most likely just vibrations going through your camera mounting. Can you put some rubber around your mounting area/brackets however your camera is mounted?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

I would ride down the street without a helmet to see if you hear it.
This proves if it's from the camera magnifying the sound.

MikeN02

yes...
it did seem to be the camera. it was a fujifilm jv100, it seemed to be a good camera just not for putting on a bike, so i returned it and got the kodak playsport,(black),...
much better camera...

see?

i've actually made a new mount since this video so that i could still get the speedo in the shot... camera is a bit taller so the handlebar mount wasn't working... ended up using some neodymium magnets, tape and a bolt, then sticking it to my gas tank, seems to work well so far... will have video from new mount up here someday...
Could you explain to me why you choose it over the Zi8? the vado? Flip? Sony?

I've been researching for weeks for the "best" camera and I still can't decide. I'd rather pay half the money than a HD hero and be able to use it outside of sports too.

MikeN02

it was a tossup between the 2 kodaks for me...
from what i found online the kodak Zi8 got great reviews. I was set to go with that, then I saw the playsport. the fact that it was about $30 cheaper than the Zi8 and still recorded in 1080HD as well as being waterproof and a bit more rugged feeling, i went with it. The only thing i really liked about the Zi8 that i dont have with the playsport, (or any other pocket video camera), is the external microphone jack. i thought it would be cool to be able to mount it wherever and be able to run a mic somewhere other to optimize exhaust sound/reduce wind noise...
Ah, I just looked up the Playsport, it DOES look pretty tempting.. just a smaller size and it doesn't have a macro thingy majiggy, though the external microphone does sound tempting... but all I would be able to mount it on is my exhaust...

This camera is going in my helmet so it won't get as wet, but at the same time I might want to record things in the rain... hmmm tough choice.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

bmw675

perfect, im gonna jump on this. besides mounting it on my bike, i have a couple other ideas this would work great for. in car mount on our race car, and capture some awesome video while hunting.

edit: where did you find this camera at? kodak's website said available in april. i seen ebay had a few on there already.

it was a tossup between the 2 kodaks for me...
from what i found online the kodak Zi8 got great reviews. I was set to go with that, then I saw the playsport. the fact that it was about $30 cheaper than the Zi8 and still recorded in 1080HD as well as being waterproof and a bit more rugged feeling, i went with it. The only thing i really liked about the Zi8 that i dont have with the playsport, (or any other pocket video camera), is the external microphone jack. i thought it would be cool to be able to mount it wherever and be able to run a mic somewhere other to optimize exhaust sound/reduce wind noise...

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

perfect, im gonna jump on this. besides mounting it on my bike, i have a couple other ideas this would work great for. in car mount on our race car, and capture some awesome video while hunting.

edit: where did you find this camera at? kodak's website said available in april. i seen ebay had a few on there already.
I saw it on Kodak's website.. hmmm that's odd. It released early march this year and I did a local search at my best buy and found they have some in stock as well.

Detrich

if all you are worried about is the static buzzing you're hearing above 40+mph "in the video," then i think you have absolutely nothing to worry about... what i'm hearing from your video is simply digital audio distortion static caused by the wind noise volume level spiking the input level of the microphone on your camera. :) basically the wind noise is so loud above 40+mph that it's frying the input on your microphone and causing audio distortion. wind noise above 40+mph on our bike has been very noticeable to me through the helmet. so, i would expect that a digital microphone would also pick this up as well.

p.s. ah, just saw the 2nd video. nice! the better camera's mic prolly either has better input limiting. or, it could be that placing it behind the windshield more shielded it from level spikes. great job either way. and, thanks for sharing... :)

Last edited: