Helmet lock that is actually secure for $2.37

Sascha

So I wanted to be able to leave my helmet on the bike for at least a little(while in a store or at work) so I decided I liked the idea of the cable lock that came with the bike even if the execution seriously lacked. So here is my how to on a cheap but effective solution.

Supplies

1.5 ft 1/8 inch plastic covered cable. Make it 2-2.5 feet if you want to go through the actual helmet not just the chin strap buckle($0.47/foot at home depot)

2- 1/8inch cable crimping sleeves($1.48 at home depot)

Hammer

10 min

Step one cut about 4.5-5 inches of the plastic cover off both ends

step 2 put the sleeve on the cable and bend it around and go back through to create a loop

Step 3 hammer the sleeve flat to lock the cable in.

Step 4 do same on other side.

First write up so sorry if it is not as helpful as some.
-Sascha

Pictures below

http://www.600cc.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=978&title=helmet-lock-on-the-che&cat=503

http://www.600cc.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=977&title=helmet-lock-on-the-cheap&cat=503

http://www.600cc.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=976&title=helmet-lock-on-the-cheap&cat=503

http://www.600cc.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=975&title=helmet-lock-on-the-cheap&cat=503

http://www.600cc.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=974&title=helmet-lock-on-the-cheap&cat=503

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

NUISANCE

That is exactly what I did when I thought up an idea to secure my helmet. I did the same except covered the crimped pieces with a piece of heat shrink to protect from scratching the helmet.

Sascha

I have gun locks but I like keeping them on the guns and this way I dont need an extra key with me.

There is no need for the heat shrink because the crimps are under the seat and the helmet is not...unless you worry about when putting it through the helmet.

NUISANCE

There is no need for the heat shrink because the crimps are under the seat and the helmet is not...unless you worry about when putting it through the helmet.
When I lock mine I run the cable through the rear rim and hang the helmet on the rear peg. I want them to be able to see the cable and I think it helps as a theft deterant also because they can't roll the bike. They would either have to drag it or pick it up and it's pretty obvious to a passerby when they are dragging the bike or carrying it.

Detrich

i think the helmet cable is really just a deterrent, so someone can't just walk off with it. it's always best to carry your lid with you if u can. i've always thought Yamaha's cables are just too short. the FZ6R one is short, but the R6 ones are even shorter. the R1 doesn't even come with a cable at all. just makes it that much harder for us.

Sascha

When I lock mine I run the cable through the rear rim and hang the helmet on the rear peg. I want them to be able to see the cable and I think it helps as a theft deterant also because they can't roll the bike. They would either have to drag it or pick it up and it's pretty obvious to a passerby when they are dragging the bike or carrying it.
What about just using the steering lock so all they can do if drag it in circles?

BoneJj

What about just using the steering lock so all they can do if drag it in circles?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get a locked front wheel up a ramp into a van or back of a truck.

Why do you think criminals are so successful most of the time, it doesn't take a whole lot of brains to steal something.

Granted, locking the steering does make it a little harder for them but it does not preclude them getting away with it.

geolemon

Make it 2-2.5 feet if you want to go through the actual helmet not just the chin strap buckle
This is a really clever idea, but I have a concern on security, looking at your pictures-

I'd keep that cable as short as possible or someone could feasibly PUSH on the cable, pushing it in - if they push it far enough (what, about 4"?) it'll come unlooped from the metal bracket under the seat, and they'll be able to make off with your helmet.

So wherever you engineer yours to hook to on your helmet, I'd make sure your final length doesn't leave you with more than an inch or two of slack.

Granted, regardless, there's some "visual deterrent points" here no matter what - a would-be thief probably wouldn't even try if they saw the cable, and they would need to be pretty familiar with an FZ6R to know that he/she COULD "unloop" the cable from the underseat hook... but someone who knew enough about bikes to know a helmet worth risking jail time to steal just might! :eek:

I know I'll be making one of these cables soon. Thanks for the idea! :cool:

geolemon

so this is just like the stock setup just a thicker cable?
I feel like someone must have removed the "stock setup" on my bike.
Is it supposed to be bolted to the two bolts on the black crossmember?
I have an '09, maybe they didn't build them in yet.
Although, I have the hook - the metal strap that these loop to.
:confused:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member