Heli-coil

dawg

I just stripped my oil pan :(

Does anyone know where I can get a heli-coil kit in the GTA and any advice on how to use them or other suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks.

Deanohh

Pull of the ruined oil pan and have somebody weld the hole up and drill and retap it. Or put on a new pan. Either way use a torque wrench from now on.

Deanohh

I would be hard to keep drill shavings out of there when you drill for the heli coil. and I'm not sure the heli coil would not unscrew or screw in farther on a plug like that where it is repeatedly taken in and out. In my opinion, if you want to fix it right, remove it and put on new.

JSP

Super Moderator
You have to take the pan off either way, so replace it... IMO. I would do it right. I do not trust heli-coils or over sized drain plugs.

You have to drill the hole out for the heli-coil so you will get lots of shavings in the pan which is a big no no. So you must take the pan off to make sure you get them all out. Heli-coils can spin within the pan since it is aluminum.

dawg

Is there a temp fix I can do so I can ride it to a shop to get it fixed?

And does anyone know where I can get a pan and a shop to replace it in the GTA or Markham area?

Man this sucks donkey balls.

yfz6r

On my old FZ1, we were able to lift it up on a car lift and re-thread the hole at a friend's tire shop. I don't like the sound of a temp fix to get to a shop.