Handlebar Riser

ScottM

I am considering purchasing a 25mm (1") or preferably a 30mm (1.2") handlebar riser to take some of the pressure off of my hands and shoulders. I guess I have got short arms.

I would like to know if anyone has done this and if they had problems with the existing control cables. The front brake hose looks like the limiting factor.

Thanks

MC#4

Hey, I did this 3 months ago.

You can check my thread. I'm not sure how to link it. The name of it was

09FZ6R comfortable?

Y

yellowfz

I did the Renthal Road Medium bars (cables work but the brake line is tight) and they are way more comfortable than the stock ones . 99% of the time I use Renthal on my bikes . 7/8 Handlebars: Applications
Just another way of doing the same thing . The Road High bars would be nice but would require new custom cabling .

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I got the 787, black!

755 gray . Better bend in the bars not quite so acute as stock .
Are the 787s for motocross ? Never mind read your sig .
Seems like the 787s would be nice .http://www.tokyomods.com/accs/Renthal%20Applications%20Bars_grips.pdf
Had to remove cable holder from triple tree for brake line , throttle cable to work .
Go to Lowes and get some 1/2" plastic plugs . they fit right in the ends of the bars , can't find bar end to fit Renthal bars , all are to large .
Handling characteristics change don't they ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

All I did is buy a tap kit M16 x 1.25 and tap each ends (ebay). You also need a 9/16" drill bit just to oversize the hole to the right dimension (Lowes) I rode without the damper for a while and it's a big difference...

Sorry, it's M16x 1.5...
Thanks , will try that .:thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
T

TEACH1212

Handlebar risers and pullbacks !!!!!!!!!

Check out twisted throttle pullback and risers for our bikes. Put them on over 1,000 miles ago, and can not tell you the comfort level. Perfect. No changing of cable needed. 20 minute job. Twisted Throttle is the Co.

k6gad

Yes..I got the SW Motec from Twisted Throttle. Didn't have to worry about the brake lines or cables works just fine. Longest ride to date was about 450 miles and my wrists, arms and shoulders felt great. Much better than the standard risers for me anyway.
Gary

I am considering purchasing a 25mm (1") or preferably a 30mm (1.2") handlebar riser to take some of the pressure off of my hands and shoulders. I guess I have got short arms.

I would like to know if anyone has done this and if they had problems with the existing control cables. The front brake hose looks like the limiting factor.

Thanks

Y

yellowfz

After looking today remember why I didn't do stock ends, would make cables to short, will just stay with plastic plugs.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I had to think about it for a minute... What I did is install everything as much in as possible then cut the handlebar. I can't remember by how much I cut them, it's been a while. The vibration with the Renthal is much better then the stock handlebar (maybe the thickness of the material have something to do with it) But there's a noticeable difference with and without the dampers.
Ah , that would work . Might have to cut 1" past the end to make up for stock vibe dampeners .
Yeah the Renthals are light years better than the stock bars , I think you are right , thickness , does help vibes .
Sorry highjacked thread .
Point we are trying to make is , 1. Renthal bars are good and 2. there are other ways to get the height that someone needs without risers .

J.J.

Yes..I got the SW Motec from Twisted Throttle. Didn't have to worry about the brake lines or cables works just fine. Longest ride to date was about 450 miles and my wrists, arms and shoulders felt great. Much better than the standard risers for me anyway.
Gary
These are what I use as well. I posted pics somewhere on here. Easy to install & yes I have short arms as well.

ScottM

Update:

I went ahead and ordered the 1" (25mm) risers from Twisted Throttle. Easy to install. Had to move the rubber clamp on the front brake cable. But the thottle cables are kinda tight at full right turn of the handlebars. I think any more than one inch and I would have had a problem with the existing trottle cables.

The one inch handlebar riser has made the riding position much more comfortable for me.

Y

yellowfz

Good to hear , glad it worked out for you .
Yeah the throttle cable is a PITA , it does get tight on mine as well .
Modding is fun and rewarding at the same time . :)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member