Good/best tire for fire roads?

bobski

For a 60% street 40% fire road riding application, what would be a good tire for the FZ6R? I know I could just get a Vstrom 650 I suppose, but what tires would be best on the FZ for that mix of riding?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

vkamnev

vkamnev

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

See red

I run Shinko ravens on my Tiger and they do pretty dam good. Avon makes an awsome set as well. FYI.... the 6r does do the fire roads well, actually dam near as good as my tiger.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

bobski

Great input guys. I know our bike isn't set up, intended, or the best tool for the 40% job, and actually it would be nowhere near that, probably more like 15-20% . . I just wanted to get your input and recommendations for some tires a little more offroad oriented than a Tourance for example. i'm not sure the 15-20% warrants a change to a Vstrom type bike because that still means 80-85% street/hwy riding and I think the FZ is great for that application. However, in the mountains around here we have lots of ride routes that can be extended if you have the capability to reasonably handle gravel roads. I've done it several times on my street tires but it's a bit like walking on glass. I'm not an aggressive rider on pavement and so something with a little less bite on the pavement and a little more bite on gravel is what I'd like to do when my current set is shot at the end of this season (maybe sooner).