Gear questions

Nyuu

So I'm trying to plan for what gear I'm going to get and I think I've finally got a good list going. Now I just need opinions. I'm in the Air Force, so I have to wear certain levels of protective gear though I think the AFI mostly says it has to be abrasion resistant. Anyways, is this gear too much or too little? (And don't say "no gear is too much", I'm speaking in terms of cost, protection, and comfortability being realistic)

Alpinestars Thunder Gloves - Motostrano.com
TCX X-Cube Waterproof Boots - Mens - Competition Accessories
Sliders Kevlar All Season 2 Pants - Compacc
Sliders All Season 2 Kevlar Mesh Jackets - Compacc

One last thing, I never picked out a helmet. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!

:thumbup:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

gloves look ok, but if your budget allows i would recommend choosing a full gauntlet glove for added wrist protection. u should be able to find some just like that but that also extend/ wrap around the wrist for added protection:
Alpinestars SP-2 Leather Gloves - Motostrano.com
Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves - Motostrano.com

boots look too short & too soft to me... try to choose a full-length, hard shell boot instead:
TCX S-Sportour Boot - Competition Accessories

pants look ok, but make sure that the knee armor is a snug/ tight fit and doesn't move around. otherwise, it's useless. your knees are THE most vulnerable lower-limb joint.

jacket looks ok, but personally i've sold all my textile gear and opted for leather. yes- it costs more. but, it's worth it.

helmet is one of those items that is trial and eerror. u'll have to try some on and get properly fitted.

just remember that as a general rule, all motorcycle gear should fit very snug. the helmet should fit very snug. they should not fit like ordinary clothes or they will flap around in the wind, or the armor will shift around and will not protect properly.

search our forum for some excellent threads on fitting a helmet properly...

GL :)

Last edited:

Alex6

Most rambling riders already have a thick skull to a certain degree, but Johnny Law insists it's not thick enough. Classically free, the SKID LID original motorcycle helmet adds DOT approved thickness to protect your head from the ground and your wallet from the system. The Skid Lid helmet is conforming in its fit but this dome shaped motorcycle helmet encourages individuality with its selection of tight graphics.
$35.99 - $44.99
----------------------------------------------------------------------
How much is your head worth to you?

meganiimarie

I don't know what they have done with the regs back in the states, but I know riding on base overseas has become a lot more relaxed. That being said, I still like to be covered but comfortable in the heat and enjoy these... Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes - RevZilla.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

oldtouring b

Consider these ideas

Helmet-- Scorpion is one of the best values out there. A good universal fit and no fogging faceshield. Very good helmet.

Gear in general-- New Enough(never remember their new name!) has a great selection and customer service. Look in their closeout section.

If I were starting out--I would look on ebay and advrider and this website for like new used gear. If you prefer new then I would look close at Olympia and Tourmaster.

On boots look at Sidi. Their waterproof boots are the best IMHO.

Remember you are starting on a never ending search for the perfect bike and gear. This won't be the last items you will buy!!GL and ride safe.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Nyuu

Awesome advice everyone, I'll start looking at everything that was said. I imagined it would take a lot of trial and error, especially since I've only been looking online so far. I'll have to get out to a shop sometime this weekend and try stuff on.

Thank you all!

Nyuu

So I'm going tomorrow to look at new gear at some stores in Kansas City. These are my online picks, which I'll probably be buying if I can't find anything better at the stores. Tell me what everyone thinks.

Icon Compound Mesh Long Gloves - RevZilla

TCX S-Sportour Boot - Competition Accessories

FirstGear HT Air Overpants - 2011 :: MotorcycleGear.com

Tour Master Transition 3 Jacket - RevZilla

Scorpion EXO-1000 - Solids offered by PowerSports4Less

I'll be comparing the safety features and pricing of these to what I find at the stores, so let me know opinions.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member