FZ6R "Swiss Cheese" Airbox Mod?

XpL0d3r

Hey everyone,

Still in the process of bringing my bike back to stockish (except the exhaust that it came with).

One thing I noticed, the guy before me also turned my airbox into swiss cheese (not my pic but same thing):

Will this affect anything? Should I leave as is or just replace it with a non-swiss cheese one?

The reason I ask, is that last year when I first got the bike, I noticed that when blipping throttle at a light, bike would sometimes stall out. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, or if it were some dumb resistor the guy hooked up before, which I already removed (see my original thread > here <. But while the tank is still off, if it's recommended to replace the airbox, I'll do it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MrFrzZ

Its weight reduction... :D

That looks like a Joe-Bob A/F tune job that he didnt wanna drop the coin on a PC, so he tried to find the sweet spot.

MrFrzZ

Is the bike already apart? If so, I'd go ahead and pull the plugs just to see what they look like, and go from there. IF you're going to install a PC, then I'd probably get a new one and take a peek at STI941's to see how his looks. I think he modded his slightly.

XpL0d3r

Is the bike already apart? If so, I'd go ahead and pull the plugs just to see what they look like, and go from there. IF you're going to install a PC, then I'd probably get a new one and take a peek at STI941's to see how his looks. I think he modded his slightly.
Do I need a PC? I want it back as close to stock as possible, except the exhaust. Sounds quite nice.

It's apart for the most part. The tank is off. Just over 2000 miles on her, but I'm sure they're the original plugs from '09 so it wont hurt to change.

We also inspected it the other day, and both fork seals appear to be slightly leaking. And, the front tire is oddly shaped directly in the center. Almost bulges out, it's weird. Buddy has a spare in better condition, so we're going to get that on there eventually. Rear tire is fine at least.

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

Do I need a PC? I want it back as close to stock as possible, except the exhaust. Sounds quite nice.
Maybe not NEED, but its definitely a SHOULD have with the exhaust on it. I think some manufacturers state that you dont need a PC if you leave the DB killer in the can, but if you take it out, you should really get one. I think Leo Vince states you dont need to use a Pc, but they recommend it. I'm not sure about 2B.

sti491

Check out my airbox mod post... per Martin I sliced the entire bottom off.

I recommend you do the following based on my experience, all at the same time. I am assuming you have a freed up exhaust system:
- Get a PC5, run Martin's AdvGear RevB map
- buy a cheap used airbox off E-bay
- Cut your airbox as I did per Martin's experience
- Put all short stock velocity stacks in your cut airbox
- wear earplugs

See how you like it. Your bike will "sing the song of our people". If you don't like the intake music, go back to stock intake, as you will have all the parts. The intake mod as described does improve performance, I'd say a tad better top end with no low end impact. However it screams at high RPM.

Hey everyone,

Still in the process of bringing my bike back to stockish (except the exhaust that it came with).

One thing I noticed, the guy before me also turned my airbox into swiss cheese (not my pic but same thing):

Will this affect anything? Should I leave as is or just replace it with a non-swiss cheese one?

The reason I ask, is that last year when I first got the bike, I noticed that when blipping throttle at a light, bike would sometimes stall out. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, or if it were some dumb resistor the guy hooked up before, which I already removed (see my original thread > here <. But while the tank is still off, if it's recommended to replace the airbox, I'll do it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

XpL0d3r

Thanks for the replies!

The exhaust is just a slip-on. As mentioned though, I rather take it back to stock as much as possible, not modify it further. :)

I just want to keep the slip on because it sounds good, and I rather the bike be too loud than too quiet. You know, for "safety" reasons. ;)

vcdstroyr

I didn't feel like buying a new airbox when I discovered it was swiss cheese. I used some duct tape inside and out to cover the holes (not the main one of course). I'm not sure if it made a difference or not but in my mind it did.