fz6r stock tires...

Pureluck711

I really wanna be able to get extremely low when cornering, im not sure if I still just suck on my bike or if the tires are holding me back (maybe both). I have a 13 fz6r with stock tires and im wondering if spending the money on some new tires will help me get lower to the ground as I turn or if its just rider problem aka i suck.

Anyone else upgrade there tires and notice a big difference? or even a worthy differnce?

Let me know! Thanks so much

MrFrzZ

Start with training... More often than not what we feel is a " hardware" issue is in fact a "software" issue. I'm not saying this is true in your case, but anyone who says they cannot use more training is delusional. ;)

As far as your tire concerns, I personally liked my metzeler M7 sporttecs. They were confidence inspiring and the bike ran out of lean angle before the tire ran out of traction. I know for a fact it you will exceed the lean angle of the bike before you will the tire traction alone. You'll grind off hard parts way before eclipsing what the tire is capable of. Unfortunately, if you are grinding those parts, you may inherently cause the tires to lose traction, but that's not a deficiency of the tire.

Practice your body position and exaggerating it in turns. You'll be in a severe hang off but the bike will be barely leaned. even if you dont move your butt on the seat, you can still use your upper body. This is called Y body position, as opposed to the "full V" position that you see on the track.

Please - Also do not confuse rear tire width with capable lean angle. A wider rear tire will not improve lean angle. In fact, it will actually compromise agility of the bike, so keep the 160 on it. ;)

Last edited:

vcdstroyr

What MrFrzZ said.

Go on youtube and look up tire reviews. There is no shortage of videos from both riders and dealers who make videos and explain the tires.

I'm currently in the process of researching my next set of tires. The stock tires I had (Dunlops Q3) kinda sucked...but in the tire's defense, I only had them for 100 miles before I got a nail on one and decided to just replace them.

I got some really cheap continental contimotion tires. Very cheap but very good for commuting and long rides. Not so good for riding hard and getting some lean on them. If I wanted to make this my daily rider or tripper again I would get this tire.

I got some Bridgestone BT-023 and I love this tire. Great mileage. Good price. Good lean angles. I would get another set but it's getting hard to find since they are being replaced by the BT-030 or something like that.

I think this time around I will be getting some sportier tires since I will be riding my Harley on longer trips instead of the FZ6R.

I know you're looking for track style tires but I added my opinion on the other tires just in case someone else read this thread and gets some info.

I'll post up what I got once I get new tires.

MrFrzZ

What MrFrzZ said.
Thanks VC

FWIW, I was actually going to move into the Q3 arena when planning to track the bike. I knew and trusted my Metzelers so much that I decided to just stick with them to eliminate another mental variable of me worrying about the tire, which might have taken my attention away from another focal point of riding. I did read a review of the Q3 vs the M7 that were tested on a GSXR1000. Guy had great things to say about both and the tests were conducted at track days, so I'm sure he was pushing the tires harder than we would. The only caveat to that test was that we also encounter wet roads, sometimes unexpectedly, road debris not found on tracks, and less than pristine roads. so these are things to also consider.

the Q3's are also being replaced by the q3+ which is just a dual compound down the center spine I believe, so in theory it would get longer life and grip to the outer edges should remain unchanged. I cannot speak for the Bridgestone offering as I've not run on one, but I always try to keep in mind these places are still in business for a reason. lol

Just_Jim

OP, instead of worrying about how low you can get in a corner, you should concentrate on getting through the corner smooth and efficient. As you gain experience your lean angles will increase. That being said, please save knee dragging for track days.

Regarding tires, the stock tires are more of a sport-touring tire than an actual sport tire. For a sport/track day tire, I like Michelin Pilot Powers. I've been running them on my R6 for years - first the original PP, then the PP 2CT, and now the PP3. The PP3's have great grip and pretty decent wet weather grip too.

I think when the Dunlop Roadsmarts on the FZ6R wear out I'm going to get Michelin Road 5's installed. I'm a Michelin guy.

Pureluck711

OP, instead of worrying about how low you can get in a corner, you should concentrate on getting through the corner smooth and efficient. As you gain experience your lean angles will increase. That being said, please save knee dragging for track days.

Regarding tires, the stock tires are more of a sport-touring tire than an actual sport tire. For a sport/track day tire, I like Michelin Pilot Powers. I've been running them on my R6 for years - first the original PP, then the PP 2CT, and now the PP3. The PP3's have great grip and pretty decent wet weather grip too.

I think when the Dunlop Roadsmarts on the FZ6R wear out I'm going to get Michelin Road 5's installed. I'm a Michelin guy.
all i wanna do is drag knee xD

thanks guys!

MrFrzZ

all i wanna do is drag knee xD

thanks guys!

Remember - Dragging a knee is a result, not a goal. ;) Took me a bit to accept this. Once you do, it completely changes your outlook on riding. Think of it as trying to write an essay before you know how to spell. running before you know how to walk, whatever analogy you wanna use. Touching down a knee isnt done just to touch a knee down. It's done as a reference point. Good consistent body position, throttle control, and practice will yield this result. However, on the street, it should NEVER be the goal. It'll get you far too much attention from the Blue crowd and if you dont understand the Why and how behind touching down a knee, then you're a danger to yourself.

If you take a look at Tony Elias from the Road Atlanta race this year, watch his turn ins and when he actually touches his knee down. Instead of dragging it, he touches it down, and will actually lift it off the ground just slightly. When he touches down, he knows where the bike is in terms of his lean angle, but he leaves enough usable lean angle to adjust his steering inputs through the turn if needed.

Its also important to remember you can steer the bike with the throttle. ;)

Be safe!! Practice practice practice!!!

sti491

Wow... what awesome advice here. When I was learning to race my Sti from some very good drivers, at Bob Bondurant Racing School advanced class, and listening to Pancho Carter and Davey Hamilton (real no-kidding honest race drivers, that have the Indy limp to prove it) on headsets driving some nice rides...see pics below... the central theme to getting better track times was not further mods to your car, but "fixing the nut behind the wheel"! That saying has always stuck with me.

For what it's worth I also put Metz Sportec M7's on my bike... LOVE those tires. I think they have saved my butt from one or two SR's....and I still have chicken strips. There is something to be said for not using all your tire on the street, saving a bit for reserve in the event of a surprise bit of gravel, a cat, or minivan issue.

I used all the tire on the AWD Porsche race car though..... hehehehehahahaha!

Attachments