FZ6R Shock options

Yamarocket630

So it looks like I am inheriting my wife's 2012 6R. I love the bike but the suspension sucks in it's stock bargain basement form.

The forks are easy enough to fix or swap but...

Do any of the aftermarket shock manufacturers i.e. Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro, Penske, etc make a shock for this bike that is actually AVAILABLE in the US?

Alternatively, has anyone successfully swapped another bikes HIGH END shock i.e. and R6R, R1, S1000R etc? I'm not interested in swapping one crappy emulsion shock for a different crappy emulsion shock such as an SV.

Chucker

You can get aftermarket shocks. Search online and you'll find them. You will pay dearly though.

Swap out the springs and use heavier fork oil. It'll cost you around $300 if you do it yourself and it will make a world of difference. If you're going to replace the shock and forks with aftermarket, you might as well spend the money on a bike that comes with better suspension.

Yamarocket630

Thanks, but that's not the scope of what I'm looking for.

The FZ6R is perfect for me in most ways. I find it comfortable, good looking, plenty of power (I've had 140+ HP bikes and I'm no longer interested in that) and really fun to ride. I like stock bikes... except for the suspension. Any bike I buy will need suspension work to make me happy. There isn't a standard or sport bike out there that is set up from the factory for a 210lb rider. We have owned this bike since 0 miles, so why sell it and buy something different that still needs suspension work?

Apparently according to Ohlins USA the YA907 is available here for about $650. That's a small price to pay vs a different (used) bike that will need $2-3k spent on it to fix all the squidly screw-ups and "modifications".

For about $1k I can have an Ohlins shock setup for me and rework for forks with correct rate springs and cartridge emulators, or swap a set of yzf600 adjustable forks and revalve and re-spring those for a few $$$ more.

Not the same bike but the older sibling FZ6 and I fitted conventional (not inverted) R6 forks and an R1 shock with a proper sping rates...
I had the R1 shock revalved, added an adjustable spring rate collar and of course fluid and nitrogen replaced. Both ends for less than 300 usd. Cheap considering it transforms the bike into something road worthy!!!!

FZ6 and R6 and R1 all use 300mm eye to eye shock.

More details at 600riders.com same name....
See sig.... best money ever spent on the bike!

TDL2024

Not the same bike but the older sibling FZ6 and I fitted conventional (not inverted) R6 forks and an R1 shock with a proper sping rates...
I had the R1 shock revalved, added an adjustable spring rate collar and of course fluid and nitrogen replaced. Both ends for less than 300 usd. Cheap considering it transforms the bike into something road worthy!!!!

FZ6 and R6 and R1 all use 300mm eye to eye shock.

More details at 600riders.com same name....
See sig.... best money ever spent on the bike!
I was originally thinking of getting an FZ6 and doing the R6 fork/R1 shock swap...

I saw (here?) that the R6 forks were a ton of custom work so that's a no go, but do you (or anyone else) know if the R1 shock will swap onto the FZ6R?

If an FZ stem and triple just happen to fit the R, that may be an option. What diameter are the stanchion tubes on these?

S2 FZ 07 - 09 calipers bolt direct to R6 forks.
I bet the wheel bearings are the same but you no clue about spacing and rotor dia / offset. FZ6 wheel too?

Ours are an hour swap. Get thr parts fiche side by side and compare parts! You never know!