FZ6R Riders Show us your baby!!

cnctoolcat

Sweet bike toolcat! What exhaust is that Black Widow?
TBH, I'm not sure. The guy I bought it from (several states away-had it shipped), had already installed the exhaust. It sounds really good I think, not too loud, but a nice authority when you get on it and wind past 5-6,000. People notice as I ride by, so it's an attention-getting exhaust note, for sure.

The previous owner also installed nice adjustable controls, front flush LED signals, rear fender eliminator kit with LED turn signals, darkened the windshield, LED headlight bulb, and it's wired for a battery saver.

I've already added a HealTech gear indicator (works great!), and have ordered some other goodies: stainless brake lines, rear under-fender, louder horn, and Oxford textile 50L saddlebag set. I own a machine shop, and want to fabricate my own custom saddlebag mounts, maybe make some other goodies for the bike.

As far as the FX6R, I can't imagine any other motorcycle having such a fine balance of power, handling, rideability, affordability, and FUN!

ON EDIT: I'm contemplating a quick shifter...but they're a bit pricey IMO.

ToolCat Greg

Last edited:

jjmaine

Sweet! After looking at it closer, it looks like the previous owner used the stock header and welded the can onto it? It looks great though and if it sounds great too thats all that matters.
I should have you machine me a custom exhaust hanger bracket. I’ve been slowly whittling one out of aluminum with my drill press using an end mill bit and a cross slide vise. Slow going though. A benchtop mill is my next present to myself I think. Just waiting for a used one to come up on marketplace haha.🙂

jjmaine

Been thinking about a gear indicator for my bike as well. That’s about the only thing I wish this bike came with. It would be noce to know when I’m in 2nd and down shifting so I know when to anticipate the massive clunk into first (or avoid it altogether).

Where did you mount the indicator?

Been thinking about a gear indicator for my bike as well. That’s about the only thing I wish this bike came with. It would be noce to know when I’m in 2nd and down shifting so I know when to anticipate the massive clunk into first (or avoid it altogether).

Where did you mount the indicator?
I also have a gear indicator. Here's a pic of where I mounted mine.

gear indicator.jpg

jjmaine

That looks like a good spot! I’m going to order one. Do you find it useful? I’ve heard that some dont like them because the gear indicator wont change until you release the clutch? Not sure why that would make a difference to me. I would look at it before shifting anyway and not while I’m shifting.

Maybe when coming to a stop light and you hold the clutch in and shift all the way to first? Even then, I just shift until the lever wont move anymore lol

cnctoolcat

Was it plug and play or do you have to splice into a power wire?
For the HealTech unit, you have to splice into two different wires. The kit comes with two IDC connectors, so they make it easy to tap into the wires.

You tap a crankshaft position-sensor wire, and a switched +12V wire. Then you just find the right connector under the tank (triangular cross-section shape), and plug the Healtech connectors in.

First thing after install is to teach the unit, which is just going through all the gears (slowly) 1 to 6.

The unit shows a "-" when the clutch is in, or the transmission is in neutral. If you hold the clutch in and downshift approaching a stop, from say 3 to 1, you will only see the "-" until you let the clutch out again. A trick is to barely engage the clutch for just an instant after stopped, and the unit will briefly show what gear you're in. (To make sure you're all the way in 1st without having to bang the tranny. And that's another trick, these trannies can be hard to get into 1st if you're already stopped, so let the clutch in/out just a bit, and you can find 1st.)

You can fine-tune the rate at which the unit updates the next gear, which is pretty cool. From the factory it may be a split-second slow to update the gear. But as said, you're not watching it change anyway, you're watching the road. You will just glance down occasionally to verify the gear.

The unit works great, it never loses track of a gear! It's really nice having confidence of what gear you're in...especially 5 and 6. And, it frees-up a bit of brainpower, not having to keep mental track of the gear.

I mounted mine in the same place as steelrider.

ToolCat

Last edited:

jjmaine

Thanks! I ordered one so I might have to pick your brain when I go to install it. I can handle it no problem but just want to make sure I am tapping into the correct two wires when I do. I’ve read that the install instructions tell you to splice the wrong wires? Maybe they have fixed that by now though…

Also ordered a Nitron rear shock (takes 4 weeks for them to make it😞), Racetech emulators and preload adjusters for the forks (the oem fork springs are the correct rate for my weight) to fix the horrid stock suspension.

Got some Spiegler braided brake lines and new pads to freshen up the brakes which I’ll install tomorrow. I love the bike with its upright seating position. Mine is only lacking suspension and brakes and she’ll be good to go!

jjmaine

I thought I already posted a picture on here but I guess not. Here is my bike, a 2014…
My mod list (when It’s all said and done)

Delkevic full exhaust
PCFC
Spiegler stainless brake lines w/SBS HH pads
Healtech gear indicator
Nitron R1 rear shock
Racetech gold valve emulators
Fork preload adjusters
Tail tidy
Moto Dynamics integrated tailight
Flush mount front turn signals
TST led relay
IMG_1926.jpeg

jjmaine

Does anyone know what gauge wire the Healtech gear indicator uses? I need to by some posi taps and want to get the right size to splice into the bikes wires