FZ6R Oil Change - How To

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Nevermind, just figured out why it was much cheaper. I saw 4t racing and was like yeah that what I got, but mine was Mobil 1 which is like $66/case. I may give the castrol 4t racing synthetic a try though. Reviews were all like 5 star and much better pricing. Won't break the bank every change. LOL
i almost got the mobil one but reviews said the castrol was as good and that both of them actually used a different formula for motorcycles where i guess some cheaper brands just label it motorcycle oil. Hopefully i will see some smoother shifting too, going to try and get to the change tomorrow if i can.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

Ive used the Castrol 3 times now and I don't regret switching from mobil1.Its only like $7 a quart in stores here.I stocked up on oil filters, since I already have them its only $22 a change when I need oil.I wish I didn't buy filters, id like to get one of the cleanable/reusable metal filters but I still have 2 to use first.
after the struggles of getting the filter off my Cruiser i will be using only K&N with the welded nut from now on. Good to hear about the castrol. I used their Vtwin full synthetic in my cruiser and seems great so when i saw 7$ a bottle including shipping i was all over it. Think the K&N was about $11

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

I've only used my hand to instal my filter lol.I should probably start using safety wire.I never have a peace of mind after hand tightening my filter until 4-500 miles after the change.
Well with the K&N that is no longer a problem. i put it on and gave it one good turn with the sockett wrench and good to go. The nut is awesome and will only buy those from now on. Oil change went pretty smoothly although getting the old one off (with no nut) was still kind of a pain. Normally when people say your going to feel a difference i dont, however this time i certainly did feel a difference in shifting after putting in this castrol full synthetic motorcycle oil. Seems noticeably smoother. i am a little concerned i put in too much oil if anyone has any thoughts on that? Without really intending to i put a full 4 quarts in it. Any issues?? Should i drain some? i ran about 160 miles yesterday and did not see any issues.

Malicioso

Did a service on mine a couple of weeks ago, thought I'd rather do it my self and spend $86 than the quoted $260 from the shop I bought the bike from...

Superzoom

i am a little concerned i put in too much oil if anyone has any thoughts on that? Without really intending to i put a full 4 quarts in it. Any issues?? Should i drain some? i ran about 160 miles yesterday and did not see any issues.
Tony, I would drain that extra quart. I'm no engine guru, so go ahead and Google "overfill motorcycle oil" and read why having way too much oil is not good. Supposedly you can cause damage.

Swordfish

Hi all, I did my oil change today and it went really well. For those people who are doing the oil change for the first time you should buy this 302 Found.

It worked perfect and got the oil filter right off.

J

JohnnyWatts

I just did my oil change this past Sunday. First oil change by me on this bike. Dealership previously did the change for me at purchase, and winter set in a couple weeks after, so there was no reason to do it for months.

I put in some sweet Royal Purple 20w50 (3 quarts exactly, bike takes 2.9, I just thought "**** it").

Original filter was the OEM Yamaha one. A simple filter wrench took it right off. Replaced with K&N KN204, so in the future it's just a 17mm socket to take it off.

Also found that my bike did not have a crush washer for the oil drain bolt. Put one in I got from Honda a few months back for my Civic. Fit perfectly.

The only thing I would not do again is putting the bike on a paddock stand. That straightened the bike up, and caused the oil from the old filter to leak onto the exhaust. Nasty stuff. Now my bike smells like burning oil every time I come to a stop light.

LocoLechero

just finished MY first oil change!! was a breeze - the old filter was a bit tricky to get off but a trip to harbor freight -oil filter wrench $7 :thumbup: now onto a question - why are people being finicky about over tightening the new filter? is it just from the prospective of being able to get it back off next change? or is there some other science behind it? i cranked mine down pretty good not crazy but very tight with a ratchet - any thoughts? also i used mobile 1 4t race 10w-30 full syn

I'd imagine it's mostly so that you can get it off easily next time. Maybe a bit of proper compression of the gasket.

I'm also not certain as to how the threaded bit that the filter goes on is attached to the motor. It could be that if you tighten the filter too much, you'll end up spinning the whole thing out of the block.

I used a screwdriver on my first oil filter. Have been using K&N's since.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

texas09fz6r

I did my very first oil change on anything yesterday. This write up is great it went smooth no issues and I switched to Amsoil per recommendations on this forum.