FZ6r Gets "Excellent" Performance Rating From MCN

roadrat

The FZ6r was one of only 26 bikes that received an "Excellent" performance index rating from Motorcycle Consumer News (Jan. '12 edition). More than 400 bikes were rated. Some of the criteria they used included:

Rear wheel HP - 65.37
Rear wheel Torque - 38.64 (lbs - ft.)
Wet weight - 476.5
Ave. MPG - 46.9
Top speed - 128.8
0-60 mph - 4.15 sec.
0-100 mph - 12.07 sec.
0-1/4 mile - 12.49 sec.
0-1/4 mile - 104.5 mph
Braking 60-0 mph - 113.1 feet
Power to Weight Ratio - 1:7.28

Nice to know we picked a kick azz bike... :thumbup:

Last edited:

Detrich

Do u have a link to the full article? Wouldn't mind reading what other bikes they liked and why.

Thanks

6R Blackout

Do u have a link to the full article? Wouldn't mind reading what other bikes they liked and why.

Thanks
+1 on that, I sure would like to read the article myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

roadrat

Unfortunately, the info came from my paid print subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News - great publication and it's completely subscriber supported - no ads. Since they aren't beholden to advertisers for their income they make no bones about letting readers know if a bike or product is worth buying or if it just plain sucks. I'd scan it but it's multiple pages... You can look at older Performance Indexes at Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.

Detrich

Would u mind telling us what other sport bikes got excellent?

I'm guessing the 2012 GSXR600 and S1000RR made the list? Which other Yamaha bikes?

roadrat

Would u mind telling us what other sport bikes got excellent?

I'm guessing the 2012 GSXR600 and S1000RR made the list? Which other Yamaha bikes?
Sure no problem... Here's most of 'em.

BMW S1000RR, F800R, K1200S, R1200GS

Honda CBR250R, CB1000R, CBR1000RR

Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Z1000 (interestingly not the ZX10-R or ZX6-R)

KTM 690 Duke

Suzuki DR-Z400 S, DL 1000 S, GSXR1000, GSX1250FA ABS (Looks like they haven't tested the 2012 GSXR600 yet)

Yamaha FZ8, FZ6R, FZ1 '06 (rating slipped slightly in latest test of the '09), YZF R1, XT1200Z Super Tenere

Detrich

Thanks... I wonder why the R6 isn't I'm there. Maybe it's too stiff to ride? lol

At the LBIMS I sat on most of the new sport bikes and comparatively the R6 is much more track riding position. I was shocked at how comfy the new GSX6R felt. The only sport bike more uncomfortable off the bat is the Ducati street fighter. Gosh talk about harsh riding position.

FastFreddy

It's impressive performance really.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2012JanPerfIndx.pdf

I was comparing to some of the car times : you'd need something better than an F360 or XJR-15, like a F40 to beat the FZ6R according to those times.
"Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Koenigsegg, Lamborghini, Lexus, Lincoln, Lotus" 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles

2002 Lamborghini Murcielago 3.6 12.0
2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP460 4.0 12.0 (MT Oct '07 Vol. 59, NO. 10)

"Ferrari, Fiat, Ford" 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles

2001 Ferrari 360 Spider F1 4.6 13.2
1992 Ferrari F40 3.8 11.8

raybob

We should all be grateful that MCN no longer rates bikes by which one is best able to haul 400lb editors around.

Bob

Last edited:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

eashleighv9

And looks, such a good looking bike. I only buy stuff just because looks, I do not care much about the rest, unless it is a real lemon. Few bikes are better looking than our FZ6R. I wish they sale yellow or blue ones down under...just black.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BKP

That seems to vary. My insurer does not put this bike in the same category as supersports.
Nor does mine. In fact, the quote on the 6R came in under a quote for a V-Strom (which, at one time, was also on the table). I was surprised at how cheap it is...

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member