FZ6R Crash Cage

I'm a new rider with no miles on my bike at this time. I will get to ride it for the first time on 1 June. I was planning on getting Frame Sliders for it. But I been doing research on stunt and crash cages. Anyone know of any crash cages available now for the FZ6R? There are 2 types, one that just attaches to the side of the bike and one that attaches to the bike and to the other crash cage through the frame for more protection. If the bike falls with the 2nd one it will put stress on the other crash cage. With the first one it will just crush in towards the frame and maybe cause minor damage.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
To my knowledge, there are none available yet. If you have some fabrication skills or have a buddy with a machine shop, give it a try and see what you can fab up.

phocoyote7

I'm a new rider with no miles on my bike at this time. I will get to ride it for the first time on 1 June. I was planning on getting Frame Sliders for it. But I been doing research on stunt and crash cages. Anyone know of any crash cages available now for the FZ6R? There are 2 types, one that just attaches to the side of the bike and one that attaches to the bike and to the other crash cage through the frame for more protection. If the bike falls with the 2nd one it will put stress on the other crash cage. With the first one it will just crush in towards the frame and maybe cause minor damage.
This is my first street bike as well, have riden dirt bikes years ago which is my only experience. When I went to pick up my bike from the dealer I was nervous to ride it home, I am about 20 miles from dealer. I rode it around their parking lot a couple times and was comfortable enough to hit the road. Took the back roads home and within 1 mile I felt really comfortable, but still on defense for other cars. IMO, if you can find yourself a empty parking lot close by and ride it around to get the feel, there is no need for stunt bars. Hope this makes you feel more and more at ease when you go to ride in June. This bike is awesome and have loved it since the moment I sat on it. Good luck, and let us know how your first ride goes. :rockon:

This is my first street bike as well, have riden dirt bikes years ago which is my only experience. When I went to pick up my bike from the dealer I was nervous to ride it home, I am about 20 miles from dealer. I rode it around their parking lot a couple times and was comfortable enough to hit the road. Took the back roads home and within 1 mile I felt really comfortable, but still on defense for other cars. IMO, if you can find yourself a empty parking lot close by and ride it around to get the feel, there is no need for stunt bars. Hope this makes you feel more and more at ease when you go to ride in June. This bike is awesome and have loved it since the moment I sat on it. Good luck, and let us know how your first ride goes. :rockon:
Thanks man I plan on doing that. But I'm taking a lot of peer pressure from friends who been riding for years on 1000cc and 1300cc. They want me to go riding with them in June on the freeway and main highways. I said I'm not ready for that yet. And then they call me a *****. Hahahahaha.... I would love to take it to a parking lot but to get there I have to get on the main highways. So I guess I'll just go up and down my block for awhile then around it to get a feel for the bike. But I do have to ride it to the dealer to get my frame sliders and tank pad put on. I just wanted to ask you what is the torque like in first gear when you first start out on a ride. The 250's I rode were pretty easy to get going. Thanks for your input.

phocoyote7

Not much torque at all, but depends on how much throttle your giving it. This bike will get up fast if you want, but I always start off slow in first and 2nd, then give it more throttle in 3rd and up. Your friends sound like they have some experience riding 1000cc and 1300cc bikes. I wouldn't try to keep up with them for a while, not till you have some serious seat time. I have some friends as well that say they get up to 140+ on their bikes, and I don't even want to think of that right now. :eek:

Not much torque at all, but depends on how much throttle your giving it. This bike will get up fast if you want, but I always start off slow in first and 2nd, then give it more throttle in 3rd and up. Your friends sound like they have some experience riding 1000cc and 1300cc bikes. I wouldn't try to keep up with them for a while, not till you have some serious seat time. I have some friends as well that say they get up to 140+ on their bikes, and I don't even want to think of that right now. :eek:
Yeah they have a lot of seat time on bigger bikes. I have 3 close friends who have a Honda RC51 100cc, Suzuki 600RR SRAD and a Busa. They love to go around curves at over 100 MPH, but not for me thats sick. I'll stick to about 20 to 25 MPH thank you.

D

dean owens

i'll just throw this out there. they might be your friends. and they might be great people. but you really need to think long and hard about riding with them. are you going to be able to ride to your abilities with them ragging you? if you're going to feel pressure to ride up to their standards then i would stay away. ego/pride/peer pressure is one of the easiest ways to get yourself hurt or killed. and if they can't understand the wisdom is starting off small (which i even think the fz6r and especially the fz6 are too much for a first bike) and learning your skills then i'm not sure they are the smartest of riders.

again, nothing against them as people. and i'm sure you enjoy hanging out with them. but riding with someone is completely different. i know people i like hanging out with that i'll never ride with. some that i'll ride with but i won't search them out and ask them to go for a ride. you have to look out for yourself on the road.

stay safe and take your time. btw, being in the military don't you have to take the basic riders course?

i'll just throw this out there. they might be your friends. and they might be great people. but you really need to think long and hard about riding with them. are you going to be able to ride to your abilities with them ragging you? if you're going to feel pressure to ride up to their standards then i would stay away. ego/pride/peer pressure is one of the easiest ways to get yourself hurt or killed. and if they can't understand the wisdom is starting off small (which i even think the fz6r and especially the fz6 are too much for a first bike) and learning your skills then i'm not sure they are the smartest of riders.

again, nothing against them as people. and i'm sure you enjoy hanging out with them. but riding with someone is completely different. i know people i like hanging out with that i'll never ride with. some that i'll ride with but i won't search them out and ask them to go for a ride. you have to look out for yourself on the road.

stay safe and take your time. btw, being in the military don't you have to take the basic riders course?
I did complete the BRC, 2 weeks ago. But I'm taking it once a month just so I can improve my skills cause it's free in the military. I know my own abilities and these guys won't influence me to ride above them. I am to mature for that kid stuff. I chose the FZ6R due to price and my body frame. I am 6' 230 LBS and really felt the 250's I rode on very under powered for me. I have about 8 hours ride time on 250's. I will take it very slow at first to get used to the bike. I already made the choice and told my wife since she is very nervous of me going on to main roads. That I will just stay on residential roads till I feel comfortable with the bike. No matter how long that takes me.

D

dean owens

good to read.

and a side note... thanks for serving. my dad was in the navy for 28 years (i think). sometimes he would take me on the boats he was stationed on. every time i thought about how i could never see myself doing what he did for all those years. thanks for being someone willing to do what you do to help keep the rest of us safe.

good to read.

and a side note... thanks for serving. my dad was in the navy for 28 years (i think). sometimes he would take me on the boats he was stationed on. every time i thought about how i could never see myself doing what he did for all those years. thanks for being someone willing to do what you do to help keep the rest of us safe.
Thanks man, I have 17 years in with no regrets. I retire in 3 years and really don't know what to do without the Military in my life. Something that is going to be really hard to get used to. But it will nice when I retire to just ride by myself and enjoy the sunshine.

phocoyote7

(which i even think the fz6r and especially the fz6 are too much for a first bike) QUOTE]

IMO, I think this is a great starter bike for larger people. I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs., I agree with smoothpapa about the 250 factor. I sat on a Ninja 250 and I felt way big on it. I know there are other bikes out there like the Suzuki GS500F, etc., but when you consider cost and out growing a bike and want something else, trade in or sell on own is just a pain. I looked at many styles of bikes, wanted one that I could learn on and grow in to and enjoy for a long time. The FZ6R stood out above them all for me. It just depends on the rider if they are going to ride smart and not push the bikes or their own limits, then I think you can learn on any bike (I'm not saying to go out and buy a 1000cc). Just the same if your trying to impress someone or ride above your limits, doesn't matter what size cc motor you got, your gonna hurt yourself or even worse. Everytime I ride I know the chance I'm taking, to stay alert and watch around me all the time.

(which i even think the fz6r and especially the fz6 are too much for a first bike) QUOTE]

IMO, I think this is a great starter bike for larger people. I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs., I agree with smoothpapa about the 250 factor. I sat on a Ninja 250 and I felt way big on it. I know there are other bikes out there like the Suzuki GS500F, etc., but when you consider cost and out growing a bike and want something else, trade in or sell on own is just a pain. I looked at many styles of bikes, wanted one that I could learn on and grow in to and enjoy for a long time. The FZ6R stood out above them all for me. It just depends on the rider if they are going to ride smart and not push the bikes or their own limits, then I think you can learn on any bike (I'm not saying to go out and buy a 1000cc). Just the same if your trying to impress someone or ride above your limits, doesn't matter what size cc motor you got, your gonna hurt yourself or even worse. Everytime I ride I know the chance I'm taking, to stay alert and watch around me all the time.
Exactly my thoughts and I couldn't of said it better my friend. Thank you!

fz6rwolf

Thanks man, I have 17 years in with no regrets. I retire in 3 years and really don't know what to do without the Military in my life. Something that is going to be really hard to get used to. But it will nice when I retire to just ride by myself and enjoy the sunshine.
I did 22+ years in the Navy, joined at 17. I did what I did in the Navy when I first retired (I was a Chief Master-at-Arms), went straight into the Security Dept where I had been a supervisor to regular DOD police patrolman, then some security work and after all the years of doing that work got bored. Decided to do a 180 and go into medical field, started as a lowly CNA and went to school and about 6 months ago graduated as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. Some parts of leaving the military was difficult but other aspects were easy. I'm absolutely loving not wearing a uniform every day, not getting a haircut every 2 weeks (well actually I haven't had a haircut in almost 2 years now LOL) and not working weekends unless I want to. BIG :thumbup: for serving Smoothpapa.

I did 22+ years in the Navy, joined at 17. I did what I did in the Navy when I first retired (I was a Chief Master-at-Arms), went straight into the Security Dept where I had been a supervisor to regular DOD police patrolman, then some security work and after all the years of doing that work got bored. Decided to do a 180 and go into medical field, started as a lowly CNA and went to school and about 6 months ago graduated as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. Some parts of leaving the military was difficult but other aspects were easy. I'm absolutely loving not wearing a uniform every day, not getting a haircut every 2 weeks (well actually I haven't had a haircut in almost 2 years now LOL) and not working weekends unless I want to. BIG :thumbup: for serving Smoothpapa.
Thanks man and a :thumbup: to you for doing your time proudly and retiring. I'm trying to be like you when I grow up. Hahahaha... 17 years in the Army I was Field Artillery for 11 years then injured my right knee and my neck. Now I am a Finance Tech due to my injuries. Now I run around with a Titanium plate in my neck and some screws. But you know what, that wasn't enough to stop me from serving. I'm going to do 20 years no matter if it kills me. I just want to ride my bike safely and be free on the road when I retire. 31 March 2012 will be Mission Complete for me.

fz6rwolf

I had really debated going bigger when I started looking for a new bike, I was coming off a 1300cc cruiser and was concerned a 600cc sportbike wouldn't be enough power (I had once owned a 650 vstar when I got back into riding and it really struggled at highway speeds, by highway I mean keeping up with traffic at 75mph or so) but after alot of research into how sportbike engines are engineered much differently than cruisers and 80mph is nothing for them to handle for a long distance I decided this size bike would be perfect for me. I was right, there's plenty of power to handle anything I'd want to do with it, and damn it's fun;)

I had really debated going bigger when I started looking for a new bike, I was coming off a 1300cc cruiser and was concerned a 600cc sportbike wouldn't be enough power (I had once owned a 650 vstar when I got back into riding and it really struggled at highway speeds, by highway I mean keeping up with traffic at 75mph or so) but after alot of research into how sportbike engines are engineered much differently than cruisers and 80mph is nothing for them to handle for a long distance I decided this size bike would be perfect for me. I was right, there's plenty of power to handle anything I'd want to do with it, and damn it's fun;)
Yeah your right. I most likely will never get anything bigger than a 600cc Sport Bike. My wife wants a 09 V Star 250 to ride with me. I think it would be a good bike for her to learn on and ride around rural streets. But she might have a tough time keeping up with me on the highway. I just can't wait to ride my bike. I have it for over 2 months now and still have not rode it.

Roaddawg

I agree with everyone else here on what they said. This bike is great! I've had mine a month now, and it's a very forgiving bike (if I had an R1....I would have wheelied more than once!). I've ridden it every day (except one rain day) and feel better on it every day. I, too, was nervous about riding with my friends. I told them straight up that I wasn't going to try to keep up, and they respected that. They were newbies once too. You'll be amazed on how fast your confidence with come with this bike.

I agree with everyone else here on what they said. This bike is great! I've had mine a month now, and it's a very forgiving bike (if I had an R1....I would have wheelied more than once!). I've ridden it every day (except one rain day) and feel better on it every day. I, too, was nervous about riding with my friends. I told them straight up that I wasn't going to try to keep up, and they respected that. They were newbies once too. You'll be amazed on how fast your confidence with come with this bike.
I just want to thank you and everyone else who posted in this thread with there very informative and intelligent comments. Goes to show there's a lot of good people in this world. I felt so confident on the 250's in school after 8 hours, I can't wait to try out what I learned in the BRC on my FZ6R. Happy riding to every biker out there and be safe! We are all one family here on the FZ6 Forum!

C

clrd_2_lnd

Good advice, if you redline it in 1st the front end wants to come up off the ground a little so you need to lean forward, the shift into 2nd will pop the front end up a few inchs while leaning forward, havent tried the shift at redline without leaning, dont really want to!

phantomxc

When I bought my bike I also drove around the parking lot for about 15 minutes. Previously I had only driven my brothers Honda 919 for about 5 minutes. Just that 15 minutes in the parking lot and I felt I could make it all the way home. Only thing that was kind of bothering me was starting off in 1st gear. Especially at the light right outside the dealer that was up a pretty big hill. Anyways I drove about 18 miles and I didn't have any problems what so ever. This was just past rush hour through the city streets where I felt would be the best to practice. I wanted to practice stopping and going the most and all the traffic signs were perfect for that. The traffic made me focus even more.

Now I go driving through canyons and mountains all the time with out even thinking am I ready for this. Now I'm not going 100 mph or anything else crazy like that, but I'm having enough fun to try and get rid of my chicken strips.