Fuel quality/power increase

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLkmCRl6n0[/nomedia]

Basicly the question for us is does our motor have a adaptive ECU. I believe it does but I am going now to hunt up conformation.

It looks to me that this says it can.
The 02 sensor feeds info to the fuel injection system to optimise fuel air mixture for power and emissions.
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2007_bikes/yamaha_fz6.html

I would like to add that I have always been of the opinion that the fuel that has the lowest octane that will prevent detonation has the highest amount of energy available.
Now that computers are involved changing ignition timing and injection pulse length and at what degree of crank rotation it occurs, maybe this has changed.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
Anybody got any thoughts on this? Am I way off base here?
I looked in the owners manual and it says it has been designed to use a fuel with octane of 86 or Higher. I know there is more energy in low octane fuel.
At 12.2 to 1 thats alot of compression for regular fuel.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
Nope it should make the most power on lowtest. The compression in a smaller cyl like this doesnt matter the same way it does in bigger car sized cyls.
I think I was wrong. I will keep checking, but the only way to know for sure with this bike would be back to back dyno runs.

S

sportrider

I know this is an old thread but I just saw it. now I'm rethinking running 87 again!!! wish I had a dyno handy!!!

H

hobbit

ok the UK uses different fuel ratings to the US ok we exagerate the ron to make the fuel seem better -have been running the 93/95 unleaded in my Sporty and it has always sounded like a box of bolts in a rusty bin (pinking and back firing) i then put in it 97 superunleaded and it runs sooooooo much better its quieter the pinking is less and the backfirng is now a mellow pop in the pipe, i run BP fuels 90% of the time in the bikes and occasionally a supermarket brand fuel (texaco) i run standard unleaded in the FZ and yes the ECU should adapt to the lower octane fuel same as it does if you fit pipes only

F

Ferris

Sadly there are no knock sensors which means it won't retard or advance timing. This is the single reason I run premium fuel, high compression no adaptive timing == rather be safe then sorry.

C

cobalt

I have always heard, there's more energy in low octane fuel, as long as you have enough octane to prevent detonation and pinging. However in the last issue of Super Streetbike Magazine an R1 ( I think it was an R1) was dynoed on all 3 (US) grades, with the following findings - 89 was .1 Hp increase over 87, 91 ocatne was .9 horsepower increase over 89.

In Oregon, all gasoline is 10% ethanol, I have read somewhere that ethanol increases the resistance to pinging and detonation, however decreases the energy available gallon to gallon or liter to liter, if you know what I mean.

but without a Dyno run on my bike, I'm not sure exactly how to play it.

any thoughts?

C

cobalt

I don't agree with the small motor theory,
I had a CR250 (2 stroke) and rode in the dunes alot,
I found it best to run the octane up to at least 100,

I tend to agree with Ferris