Front tire wearing into "V"

roundhouse

Got 3,500 on the stock tires. I run the Yamaha recommended pressure for a 165# person.

Front tire has good tread in the center but is wearing on the sides creating the "V" shape. back tire still has fair tread left but is still very round.

i assume the front tire is scrubbing around curves? I am no tire guy for sure. Is it something I am doing wrong or is this normal?

no cupping or other signs of abnormal wear on either.

Back tire is still good. should i just replace the front or both at the same time?

mdgreene2001

Same thing happened to mine then it cupped. Factory tires are junk. My yamaha dealer said its common and I replaced mine with a set of Michelin pilot power 3's

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

I had the same issue with my BT23 front, (got around 8500km before to badly worn on edges)

Things I noted were my rear preload I had always run it on 6 -to which I now run it mainly on 5 (track days on 6)
My technique I previously sat right up front and applied alot of pressure to my bars, now days I have adjusted by gripping bike more with my knees and keeping my arms loose.

Either way, my current Roadsmart II's (front) now have about 6500km's -seem to be more consistent
Rear Roadsmart II is around 3000km old

mikebaileyvienna

Elite Member
Last edited: