Front Tire Wearing Faster than Rear

D52

Let me preface this by saying I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to bike maintenance (but as issues arise, I am learning :) .) From most everything I've read, the rear tire typically wears faster than the front. I have just over 5500 hundred miles on my bike and the front is definitely wearing faster. (See pics... the last two are the rear tire just for comparison.) Any ideas on the cause? These are still the stock tires. The wear bar is visible, as are the brown markings in the center. I religiously keep the front pressure between 33-36 and the rear 36-40. I'm not one for breaking hard and fast either. (Though I do live in suburbia and soccer moms make that a necessary maneuver more often than I prefer.) As you can tell, most of my riding is commuting, with a few twisties during. Most of the really twisty roads are a 2-hr commute to even get to and this summer was too busy for any of that. I mention that only because I do have an opportunity to go on a spirited ride this weekend, but now I'm concerned that may not be a good idea and that I should be changing the tire instead of putting another 350 miles on it. Should this be changed now?

If so, is there a good step-by-step guide or video anywhere for removing the front wheel? I spent a good 10-15 minutes searching the forum and couldn't find anything. Multiple videos on youtube of course, but didn't see any for the FZ6R. The idea is the same, I know, I would just feel more comfortable seeing it done on the same bike.

Thanks!

Attachments

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

D52

The front scallop is bad. The rear is too, but I've seen lots of riders in that position. I wouldn't call the tires dangerous unless there's inclement weather, or you're going to be riding in a "spirited manner." I wound't want to do twisties on those tires. The wear is going to significantly change how the bike handles, and your traction is going to be crap.
I agree the front is bad, but I'm curious to your reasoning for the rear. No wear bars yet and the tread is still within acceptable range. Is it because of the wear pattern from mostly commuting? (Not criticizing your assessment, just trying to understand perspectives from different people and learn from them.)

As for removing the front? You can't really, without a specialized stand or a hoist, or something. You can throw the back wheel into your car and go have the tire replaced. For most of us, when the front goes, you take the bike to your tire place and have them replace it.
I already have this front stand (and corresponding rear stand) which looks very similar to what's used here This doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Personally, I think I would be more comfortable taking the front wheel off than the rear. I live 5 minutes from a Cycle Gear (who I think will mount the tire to the wheel for a small fee if you take it to them) and 5 minutes from the dealership who I'm sure will charge an astronomical amount.

JSP

Super Moderator
Those stockers do that for some reason. Throw some better tires on there and you will be good. Those ones are junk. Mine did the same.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

D52

Motorcycle tires... don't just depend on tread depth (wear bars), but the overall shape as well... you have a flat spot... it will make the bike tip-in funny and can be dangerous (as in you'll think the bike lost grip and have a knee-jerk reaction, making it worse)...

as Jay said, stock tires are just the cheapest they can throw no there... get a new set and have a safer ride...

as to the front fork stand... it's "ok" for storage... but I wouldn't want to be wrenching on the front with just that on there... get a triple tree stand, it's more secure.

as to tires... for commute, you can't beat the pilot roads or angel GT series for long life and great wet grip... but they are a little more $$$ wise unless you catch a sale.
I appreciate all the feedback. I actually threw the bike back on the stands (rear I use all the time, front only for storage thusfar) and thought the same thing about stability. In my searching yesterday, I stumbled across the triple tree such as [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7L1LA/?tag=viglink22523-20"]this[/ame] but if I recall correctly, our bikes require a different size pin. I'll have to look into that again later.

I've done limited research on tires thusfar, but Pilot Roads (PR3's in particular) were on the list and came up in conversation when I stopped in Cycle Gear earlier today for some lube. They would have to special order the correct sizes, but the prices they gave are the regular prices... I can get them off their website for $140 less. I just forked over decent $$$ for new tires on my Outback... I played the cheap tire game with my car in college... never again.

JSP

Super Moderator
For a cheaper set of mc tires, I recommend Shinko 009 Ravens. Great tire for the money!

D52

After a little more research, I chose the Shinko 009 Ravens... I just received them a couple days ago. It looks like I have plenty of time to learn how to properly change tires since winter is arriving tomorrow lol. Thanks again for everyone's input!