First oil change

zig308

Did my first oil change yesterday based on some things that I had read about breaking in the bike. I'm only at 100 miles, but hey, school, work, and family don't wait...

My neighbor saved my butt with a oil filter wrench. I had bought a rubber strap wrench only to realize that there was no way I could turn it once I got it on due to the fact that there is no room to work with one of those things.

Not sure how many other people have tried this on their own, but I wanted to pass on the stuff that you'll need if you do it on your own rather than pay the dealer $250 to do it plus "check" your nuts and bolts.

• 3/8 torque wrench ($50 @ Advanced Auto)
    [*]3/8 extention bar
    [*]17mm socket (for drain nut)
    [*]Oil filter wrench attachment (fits over the oil filter like a beanie cap)
    [*]Torx or hex screw drivers in various sizes... a medium one and a big one to get the left fairing screws off
    [*]Drain pan
    [*]Shop towels

And obviously:
  • "2.96" quarts Yami Lube 10w-40
  • 1 Yami oil filter
  • 1 Yami crush washer

The directions in the owner's manual were pretty clear, so I won't bore any newbs or pros with that info. I just would've liked to have a list of things that I needed before I started.

The things I noticed while doing this were:
A rear wheel stand will be very helpful since it was hard to get the drain pan underneath the drain with the kick stand in the way.

2.96 quarts seems rather subjective since there is no "0.96" mark on the back of the bottle.

It's almost impossible to check the oil level once you refill with 2.96 quarts since the oil is so light in color. There is about an inch worth of "XXXXX" on the dip stick, so I assume somewhere in there is good even though it's hard to see. I let it idle for about 5 minutes after refilling, then turned it off and checked it - seemed ok. Then, I drove it around the block and turned it off and checked it - "seemed" ok then too.

The screwdriver method of removal of the oil filter seemed a bit overkill. The oil filter wrench worked very easily (if you have one). I reset the new one to 12lbs with no problem. I also set the drain nut with new washer to 31lbs.

Now I'm just hoping that the auto parts store down the road takes used oil...

zig308

I'll probably leave that oil in there till Spring. No way I'm going to get 650mi on the bike before it gets cold at the rate I'm going. I'll get some fuel stabilizer when I'm ready to put it away or just try to run it all the way out of gas.

Don't think there is anything else really to be done? The bike is garage kept and usually stays about 50 degrees in there even in the winter since the garage is attached to the house.

fstrthan_uthink

Congrats on a job well done. When you have the right tools and parts (as you have listed), it's a lot more fun and a lot less frustrating :thumbup:

I changed mine at 500 miles and again at 2400, no problems at all. I use Yamalube 10w-40 and the Yamaha filter too. Both are awesome quality, so I've never seen a reason to use aftermarket oil or filters. With a torque wrench and the cap-style filter wrench, the stock oil filter is easy to remove and install, and it's a Denso-brand filter, so it's good :)

I'll take it to the dealer when it needs new tires, or for a valve check. Oil changes and most every adjustment (clutch, throttle, shift linkage, chain, rear shock position etc etc) are done in my garage.

Oh yea...the store should take the oil, most of the auto parts stores I've been to around here take used oil.

JSP

Super Moderator
One word of advice...

If you are going to store the bike then change the oil one more time right before you put it up. You dont want old oil sitting in the bike for months at a time without running it.

The used oil will degrade in the crankcase forming acids that can eat at the metal. You should always change the oil right before you store it and again right after you decide to bring it back out.

Also DO NOT run it out of gas! You want it to be as full as possible with gas treatment in it. If you leave air in there, there is room for condensation to form and rust up the tank possibly. You want all items of the fuel system to stay coated with gas.

Do not start the bike and let it idle during the winter either. Let it sit once its been prepared for storage. Keep the battery on a tender to keep it charged. Just letting the bike idle will drain the battery as it doesnt charge unless you are at higher RPMs. It can also cause condensation in the oil if its not fully warmed up. (Short trips can also do this).

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

screw driver method is not over kill and should be practiced at least once imo, you know if you ever run into one of those oh-$hit moments.. you never know..

thats the method I used in my write up in my oil change how to thread..

Verranth

The winter storage tips that were posted here seem odd to me. Does everyone here agree with what JSP said? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, as I have never "winterized" anything in my life before :D

So, I want to have good clean oil, a full tank of gas, stabalizer and lift front and back tires up, cover the bike, and put the battery on a tender??!!!

I get the battery tender, but I thought you were supposed to take the gas out of the bike??

Any help such as confirmation, or negation (with some source cited) would be awesome. Thanks!

FitZ6R

I get the battery tender, but I thought you were supposed to take the gas out of the bike??
Ideally, you would remove all the gas, as in every last drop, then coat the inside of the tank with oil to prevent rust. If you're not going to do that, better to fill it with fresh fuel and stabilizer.

zig308

I think I'm starting to decide that this long term winter storage is for the birds - too many things to worry about. I think I might just keep riding through the winter on the weekends and get some good riding pants. As long as there's no sand on the roads, I'll just go out for a short spin every now and then.

FitZ6R

I think I might just keep riding through the winter on the weekends and get some good riding pants.
Bears hibernate, birds migrate, cycles are for riding. :thumbup:

JSP

Super Moderator
I think I'm starting to decide that this long term winter storage is for the birds - too many things to worry about. I think I might just keep riding through the winter on the weekends and get some good riding pants. As long as there's no sand on the roads, I'll just go out for a short spin every now and then.
Thats what I did last year. There was at least 2 days a month I could go out for a 30 min ride so I didnt have to worry about "storage". Hope this winter here will be the same.

WIyamirider

Winterizing really isn't that hard to do. I've been "summerizing" snowmobiles for 8 years, and "winterizing" bikes for 3. Living in WI, I don't have a choice.

Like others have said, draining the tank is a bad idea, unless you drain all of the fuel and coat the tank. For people with carbs, draining the carbs (shutting off the fuel, run the engine until it dies, drain the float bowls) can help to keep the fuel from varnishing up in the small passageways. On fuel injected engines, like our FZ6R, that really isn't of as much concern, and simply stabilizing the gas will keep it fresh enough.

When I had 2-stroke snowmobiles, all I'd do was add Sta-bil to the gas. They always fired up when it was time to come out of storage (pull start only, no battery to care for). My current sled is a 2007 Yamaha Phazer, 4-stroke with electric start. Now I sta-bil the gas, change the oil, and put the battery on the charger. Never had a problem with start-up.

The bikes are no different. Even my Ninja 250, which is notorious for clogging up the teeny tiny jets during storage, has never had a problem. I drained the carbs on that bike before storage though.

Some people go absolutely nuts with winterizing. I personally believe that the basics: Fresh oil, stabilized gas, battery on tender, is more than sufficient to put the bike into hibernation. If your machine is stored outside in some harsh weather for winter, you may consider fogging the engine as well for added insurance.

cbzdel

I have always been told to keep the tank as full as possibly and it will prevent it from rusting on the inside..

streetmaster

I've noticed some guys having a bit of trouble getting their oil pan under their bike. Here's a tip. I use a cat litter tray for all my bikes & two of them are V Star cruisers. No clearance problems ever.
Just don't use your cats tray or it wont go anywhere near it afterwards & you'll have to buy another one anyway!!! :)