Finally getting with the times and getting a smartphone...

JSP

Super Moderator
So many times I have needed internet on the go, needed directions, wanted to look up a review for something, etc and not been able to.

So I am finally caving in. :surrender: Getting a HTC Droid Incredible 2 tomorrow. :thumbup:

So what are some must have apps? Free ones preferably.

ClickClick5

Ummm....the Advanced App Killer is fantastic for Andriod. (Think Task Manager from Windows, but for your phone.) Really easy to kill tasks that are taking up to much ram, cpu, battery, etc.

I have a Blackberry, so my advice ends here.

ajskillz13

J... Have you researched much on these phones? The DINC 2 is already getting passed up with technology. My wife got a Samsung Charge a month ago as her first smartphone and has been impressed. It at least has 4G... even though we don't have that coverage yet, it's nice to have.

If you can wait, iPhone 5 announcement is tomorrow and there are at least 2 more bada$$ Android phones being announced this month. If not, I'd go with something 4G and fast that is out now.

Best Apps:

Weather: Weatherbug
Sports: ESPN Scorecenter, NFL Mobile
Games: Super Stick Man Golf, Angry Birds
Music: Amazon MP3 (Itunes for Android), Pandora (Watch Data Usage)
Misc: Sound Manager (Set ringer/notification schedules)

ajskillz13

Ummm....the Advanced App Killer is fantastic for Andriod. (Think Task Manager from Windows, but for your phone.) Really easy to kill tasks that are taking up to much ram, cpu, battery, etc.

I have a Blackberry, so my advice ends here.
I'd have to disagree... Android does a good job at managing this for you. Newer phones have less need for this. It actually can cause more harm than good from a third party app IMO.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm not looking for top of the line. Just something that I can get some apps with, use internet, etc. For the price, this was the best reviewed phone. I think I will be happy with it. :thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

ClickClick5

I'd have to disagree... Android does a good job at managing this for you. Newer phones have less need for this. It actually can cause more harm than good from a third party app IMO.
My brother has a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate and it will idle with 100MB worth of unneeded background processes. Ending all those tasks speeds the phone up ten-fold. The phone only has 384MB RAM so any little bit helps!

JSP

Super Moderator
If that's all you're looking for and you don't mind going with AT&T or Verison, after tomorrow's iPhone 5 announcement, you should see some lower priced iPhone 4's from all the places that carry them. Unless you have your heart set on an Android, for a first time smartphone that would be a good way to go. Very simple and easy to use.
Yeah, I already bought the HTC. Upgraded online, so phone will be here tomorrow. We currently have Verizon. I think I will be overwhelmed with this one as it is haha. Should get the hang of it quick though. ;)

ajskillz13

Yeah, I'm not looking for top of the line. Just something that I can get some apps with, use internet, etc. For the price, this was the best reviewed phone. I think I will be happy with it. :thumbup:
Not a bad selection then. I have the original Incredible and it's been pretty good. I'm sure they've fixed up the issues I had. I ended up rooting (hacking) my phone to fix an issue and haven't looked back. It opens up some pretty cool customization options and free wireless tethering (for now).

The neat thing about Android is that it can be as simple or complex as you like. You're free to do these things, unlike the iPhone.

That's not saying that I won't end up with the iPhone 5, but I know that I will miss some things about Android if I do.

Sparkxx1

So many times I have needed internet on the go, needed directions, wanted to look up a review for something, etc and not been able to.

So I am finally caving in. :surrender: Getting a HTC Droid Incredible 2 tomorrow. :thumbup:

So what are some must have apps? Free ones preferably.
Best phone out there(imho) I don't like the 4g's yet cuz they're just too BIG! I suggest you browse amazon once a day or so. They always have a daily free app! I just "buy" them all and hoard them incase I'll need them later. I don't have to install until I need it.

Believe it or not the DINC 2 is one of the top of the line phones. The slim form factor and it has most of the things the 4G has besides the antenna. I live in NYC and once you step out of the city bye bye 4G connection I think, so what's the point? o_O See 4g+verizon's download limits and high prices on those limits just indicate to me that 4g is just a gimmick. SURE IT WORKS, but do you really need it. I think my 3G is fast enough. They just want more money xD

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad selection then. I have the original Incredible and it's been pretty good. I'm sure they've fixed up the issues I had. I ended up rooting (hacking) my phone to fix an issue and haven't looked back. It opens up some pretty cool customization options and free wireless tethering (for now).

The neat thing about Android is that it can be as simple or complex as you like. You're free to do these things, unlike the iPhone.

That's not saying that I won't end up with the iPhone 5, but I know that I will miss some things about Android if I do.
I have the original Incredible as well. Out of curiosity, what issue were you having? I really haven't encountered any problems. :confused:

Anyway....I think you will enjoy the HTC Droid. They are fun to play on. I upgraded the calculator that came on the phone to the real scientific calculator and I use it all the time. I also do a lot of unit conversions, so I use ConvertPad I have quite a few games, but Angry Birds is a must. I also like to keep track of my league bowling stats, and the app I use for that is Mobile Bowling Stats. The apps you select are really going to be personal choice for what you use the phone most. There was an article on MSN several months back that listed the "Must-have Apps" but I'm sure they are different by this point.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Go Windows Phone 7! Samsung Focus from AT&T or HTC HD7 from T-Mobile are very nice phones.
I looked at the HTC Trophy but I wouldnt use it for what it is intended for. I have no need for a windows phone with office, outlook, etc. Plus it is Zune or something? Seems Android has lots more support/apps.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
JUST REMEMBERED. BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS ROOT YOUR PHONE.It's like hacking and you can freeze all the verizon bloatware. Makes the battery run alot longer and the whole phone runs alot smoother. The difference is night and day. If you search more you can even switch the interface to something more of your preference. Here are the two forums I use.

HTC Incredible S - xda-developers

HTC Droid Incredible 2 - Android Forums

Sounds good... May wait for the warranty to run out before I start messing with all that stuff :thumbup:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member